It is currently January 21st, 2021, 10:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 21st, 2004, 10:41 am 

:clap: Good choice on a trip man. You will be amazed.
Will you be coming up through BC or AB?
As you work your way north there are many scenic lakes that would be ideal for your new canoe.

Lake Minnewanka: near banff. couple of campsites by the lake and others in the area

Lake Louise: small but very scenic, kinda busy though, camping availiable near town.

Hector, Bow, Peyto, and Mistaya Lakes: these lakes are along Hwy 93 (Icefields Parkway), very scenic, campsites will be crowded, access to Bow Lake is the easiest..... not sure on the others.

Maligne Lake: my personal favorite, has two campsites on the lake. Lake is 22km long and surrounded my massive peaks with waterfalls and glaciers. Trout fishing is good too. These site fill up really fast. We usually book them before the summer for September. You can give it a try though.

Call 780 852-6177 for Backcountry Reservations or visit www.pc.gc.ca/jasper

Cornet Creek site is at the far end of the lake. Fisherman's bay is about 3/4 the way down.

I am kinda biased by you will not regret canoeing and hiking around Maligne Lake.

PM or email me for more info on this lake. Also, do a search for Hector Lake on ccr as I think Mr. McCue was talking about it.

"It's all part of the adventure"

Post subject: Also...
PostPosted: July 29th, 2004, 12:34 am 

In addition to D.R. Zandee's suggestions,
consider Moraine lake, right close to Lake Lousie. Even smaller, but more picgturesque in my mind. Can dirve almost to the shore (you can rent canoes there to). T.the 10 peaks and the lake were once featured on our $20 bill.
Worth a part day trip if you are camped in the area for Lake Louise already.

You may want to avoid the lakes to the south of Banff that are Damed. (Upper/Lower Kananaskis, Barrier, Spray, etc) The shores tend to be kind of stark, with cut stumps, and if the water is low a lack of vegitation near the water line... The mountains and suroundings are still fantastic.
Lake Miniwanka is an exception to this suggestion.

Some pictures I've taken from a few of the Calgary/Banff rivers and lakes are at:
http://www.members.shaw.ca/myrlskayaktr ... trips.html
One day I'll clean up the text...probably not worth reading, but some pictures may help you with deciding which to go to.

Last Saturday (July 24)I was out to Upper kananaskis, the campsite on the far side of the lake from the road had lots of room (canoe, boat or hike in only). I every campsite sign I saw on the road said "full". So best to reserve.
Sunday I went to Lake Louise and Moraine... could not even get to the parking lots, as we were being directed to park on the side of the road. The morane like person let me through so I could drop off the boat (and by luck, I did find a spot closer as someone had just left)

regards,

Myrl