It is currently January 21st, 2021, 9:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: July 21st, 2004, 9:44 pm 

Fairly new to Edmonton area. Probably a familiar story, love to canoe, wife not a big fan so I do a lot of soloing (waiting for my kids to get a little older). Want to start doing a few moving water Solo overnighters/2 day trips. Am confident in my solo abilities, lots of practice on quiet water, and am very confident in my wilderness/survival skills (19 years in Army and counting), and am comfortable being on my own. Looking at Gennesse bridge to Devon for my first trip. Good choice??? Where to you suggest camping along route at end of first night??

Will eventually want to progress to whitewater, but one step at a time.

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 29th, 2004, 12:50 am 

This was part of the first trip I did on a river with my buddy (his first time too). We originally planned a day trip from Devon to Edmonton, but ended up setting in a Gennesse. (being young stubborn we refused to drive back after missing the turn to Devon)

It was a very long day drip, We arived in Edmonton around 3am. After the police stopped looking for us. We had a bit late of a start, and pulled over to let a rain storm get ahead of us. Even so, Gen. To Devon would have been a much better choice for the day trip., or Just Devon to Edmonton.

For a single overnighter it is about perfect. Not sure where the campsites would be.

From Gen to Devon the river is a bit livelier than Devon to Edmonton but not much. I remember practicing eddie turns (as remembered from the junior high school canoe instructions), which implies eddies. There were a few riffles, but nothing major.

You can contact "canoeheads" in edmonton, they will shuttle you and your boat to Devon for $20 or something like that. Makes the logistics for the solo trip easier. It is a quite river trip, but may give you a bit more practice in a little bit of current.

From Drayton to Gennesse was a 'lazy' in terms of paddeling 2 night trip. The river is up a notch in skill, maybe to a Grade I+. (Based on on trip).

For trips above Drayton, you can get the ARCA's map, MEC sells it. Any canoe shope should too.

I no longer live in Edmonton, but I've a friend that may be interested in going out with you. He'd be in his sea kayak though. contact me off line and I'll give you his Email.

good luck

Myrl