It is currently November 17th, 2019, 11:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: August 23rd, 2009, 6:55 pm 

Here's my report that i made for our club, it's nothing fancy but we do a little report for each trip we go on for our newsletter.

SMOKY RIVER AUGUST 15, 2009

Jack and Gizmo, Andy and Robbie, Andi, Keenan, Cindy and Chuck Guillas, Murphy

We met at the South Esso at 8:40 am, at the exact time that I had asked everyone to meet. There will be some people who dispute this but don’t listen to them. We drove out to Smoky Flats and unloaded everything, then drove the gravel road to Hwy 43 bridge where Sandy Metcalf was waiting for us. She was so kind as to give up part of her Saturday and be our shuttle driver. It was so nice to have our trucks waiting at the end of the trip and not have to go back for them.

Our departure from Smoky Flats (or McLeod Flats, if you like) was just before 1:00 pm. We travelled a little way to get away from the noise and stopped for lunch. While we were eating Robbie spotted some wildlife across the river. She saw 2 grizzly bear adults (cows) and one grizzly bear cub ( a calf). They were so majestic as they would swing their long tails back and forth shooing bugs away. Well, time to moooove on, there were a lot of km’s to put on and the water was quite low and slow.

It was a pretty rainy afternoon for the most part and some of the rain was very hard. We rolled into the same camp as last year, just above the River Rat Island (km 43.1) at around 7:45. We got to work making a big fire and collecting wood. There was quite a pile leftover from last year, but we hauled in a few more trees and cut them up. I think it was steak and potatoes all around and a pretty early night for everyone.

Sunday morning, the earlybirds Jack, Robbie and Andy had a good fire going by the time Cindy and I got up at the crack of 8:30. Wow, what is it about sleeping on a riverbank that gives a person such a good night’s sleep? I love it. Jack was probably packed up before I even had my first coffee and he and the Boulet’s had plenty of time to beachcomb while we cooked up our breakfast, then packed up. Thanks for your patience everyone! I’m not sure exactly but I think we departed just before 11 am. This day was a lot better than Saturday. It was sunny, blue skies and around 25 C. A beautiful day for paddling. At one point we came upon a beaver. We were able to paddle beside it quite close and it didn’t seem to be bothered by us at all. On this trip we found 4 river boats in distress. The first was a couple who were floating downstream around lunchtime. Their boat wouldn’t start and they were going to float about 5 km downstream to the mouth of the Wapiti. At the mouth of the Simonette there were 2 river boats stuck in the mud, one appeared to be deserted. A little further on a 4th boat was floating downstream until a passerby gave them some gas and then they carried on. All the canoes on this trip seemed to have enough fuel and had no problems starting. I think that yellow canoe runs on jet fuel though because it was always way out in the lead.

85 km later, we arrived at the take out around 6:30 (?) Because of Sandy doing our shuttle the day before all we had to do was load up and go home. It was an enjoyable, brain cramp free weekend of canoeing, and you should have been there!

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=3 ... 1078006472

PostPosted: August 23rd, 2009, 9:10 pm 

Looks and sounds like an excellent paddle Chuck! Quite the morning breadfast line-up. :D
We hope to catch up with you guys, sooner or later, on one of these trips.

Thanks for sharing, Canoeheadted.

PostPosted: August 23rd, 2009, 9:32 pm 

I'm coordinating a trip on the Parsnip for Labour Day weekend, but it sure looks low, I may cancel it. That one and the Murray are in your direction if you ever want to join up.

PostPosted: September 29th, 2009, 7:46 am 

Is Smoky/McLeod Flats the same as Bison Flats? Just trying to figure out where you started.
And where did you finish?

And did you almost lose a tent? Or is it just drying out?

A literal mind is a little mind. If it's not worth doing to excess, it's not worth doing at all. Good enough isn't.  None are so blind as those who choose not to see. (AJ)

PostPosted: October 3rd, 2009, 2:56 pm 

Just drying out that tent! Here is a scan of a map I have. It's around C7. McLeod Flats. I don't know where Bison Flats is.