It is currently March 19th, 2024, 3:26 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: October 19th, 2009, 5:26 am 

Saskatchewan Trip Reports folder

This folder provides an opportunity for CCR members to post their trip reports.
An alternative is our
Saskatchewan Routes section
http://www.myccr.com/canoeroutes/421%20 ... anoeroutes
Please note: CCR members retain copyright to their posts, including their trip reports.

I prepared route descriptions for all TRs posted in this (the TR) folder on or before 20 October 2014 and I posted corresponding links in the Forum threads described at
http://www.myccr.com/SectionForums/view ... 11&t=37395

The contents of the TRs in this folder were not changed in any way and they won't be.

Many thanks to Barbara and littleredcanoe, who searched through all the many posts in the Forums, picked out the TRs and transferred them to the Trip Reports folders; that was no small undertaking.
Thanks also to the selfless members who have contributed to the paddling community by posting their TRs at CCR.

A literal mind is a little mind. If it's not worth doing to excess, it's not worth doing at all. Good enough isn't.  None are so blind as those who choose not to see. (AJ)

PostPosted: May 23rd, 2017, 11:08 am 

I'm unclear as to why this exists as a forum topic at all. Why encourage people to log their trips as a forum topic when the myccr website has a database system especially for that purpose?

It seems to me that ALL trip reports should be filed in the Trip Report database. There are many fine trips reported as forum posts and yet the pickings, especially for Saskatchewan trips, are very slim in the Trip Report database.

PostPosted: May 23rd, 2017, 9:52 pm 
CCR Assistant Administrator

sawback wrote:
I'm unclear as to why this exists as a forum topic at all. Why encourage people to log their trips as a forum topic when the myccr website has a database system especially for that purpose?

Please note that the original post is from 2009. Things were being changed and created, so it was basically "all new".

As Allan noted, we went through the Sask Discussion forum to find any trip reports to be moved to the newly created Sask Trip Reports subforum. All provinces had "trip reports" forums created, and we had to go through all the general discussion forums to find them all. It took a lot of time.

Quote:
It seems to me that ALL trip reports should be filed in the Trip Report database. There are many fine trips reported as forum posts and yet the pickings, especially for Saskatchewan trips, are very slim in the Trip Report database.

No, not ALL "trip reports" should be posted in the database.

Quite honestly, some just don't contain enough information to be included in the database.

That's why there are still subforums here on the forum for trip reports. Anything that is nothing more than a link to a blog, or is a "video" trip report, etc, should be posted here in the forum.

Barbara
Assistant Administrator

PostPosted: June 10th, 2017, 8:41 am 

Thanks for the explanation Barbara.

In any case I would like to see more entries into the trip database. There's a wealth of information to be mined from the forums that doesn't exist in the database. I'm thinking of the awesome trip report of a Cree Lake to Mudjatik River adventure in 2011 by Rappi. And dozens of others like it.

PostPosted: June 11th, 2017, 7:26 am 

Another thing that has changed over the past decade is posters making use of their own website to host their canoe trip reports.

This means that their thread in the trip reports section serves only as a heads up to the actual report, accessible via the url provided.

The only negative to the report not being on the ccr server is that when if they let their website die, the report is not longer available.

PostPosted: June 11th, 2017, 10:13 am 

Response to sawback.
Thanks for the comment; hope that I understood it.

Members may post their SK reports either in the SK TR folder (where we are now) or in the SK part of Routes.
For each sources (TR folder and Routes), I have been preparing "paragraphs" of 5 to 10 lines for each report and posting them appropriately in the SK Forums.

But I have been engrossed since November 2014 with documentation of the circumstances that led to the death of Arthur Moffatt on the Dubawnt River in 1955.
I hope very much that I shall return soon to my main job here, namely to document paddling routes in Canada and parts of the US.

A literal mind is a little mind. If it's not worth doing to excess, it's not worth doing at all. Good enough isn't.  None are so blind as those who choose not to see. (AJ)