It is currently November 14th, 2019, 12:34 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
PostPosted: March 26th, 2017, 7:34 pm 

Karin and Christy,
I just re-discovered your post here. I believe I read it several years ago without having had the faintest notion of where in Manitoba the Broadleaf was situated. As it happens, I'm planning a Bloodvein trip for this summer. As I poked around maps and trip reports the light finally came on that your Broadleaf route is one of several possible routes to the Bloodvein. My compliments on your report and all the detail you included about the route.
You've obviously invested time and resources into route maintenance in the area. It may be that my trip to the Bloodvein will involve exploring some of the waters that you know well. If I decide to access the Bloodvein from Wallace, I'll probably put off the final decision as to which route to take north once I've got a better idea about water levels. Perhaps I could contact you for some up-to-date info about the trails once we get closer to trip time.
I enjoyed reading your canoetripping.net updates on the Huron restoration. Looking forward to seeing the finished work.
Martin

PostPosted: March 27th, 2017, 8:34 pm 

For sure drop a dime on us when you firm up your timings. We may have some updated water level info. If it is a wet year stick to the Broadleaf system. Obukowin is a beast when its wet.
The Huron should be getting canvas this weekend.

Christy

PostPosted: March 27th, 2017, 11:38 pm 

Obukowin is best when it's dry.

PostPosted: March 28th, 2017, 10:00 pm 

Along with what Brian said, it depends on water level. I did the Broadleaf in late May and thought it was a great little river. In high water it was enjoyable as long as you are efficient at short portages as there are 15 or 20 short and easy portages. The long portage into Aiken is not bad. Through one section the river goes through a really nice tamarack big.
Adam

PostPosted: March 29th, 2017, 8:28 am 

Thanks for your input, Christy, Brian, and Adam. It's helpful for gaining a realistic picture of the access options.

PostPosted: February 10th, 2018, 11:38 pm 

My daughter and I completed the Obukowin-Aiken- Broadleaf loop in Oct 2017. The maps and details were extraordinarily helpful.

The Obukowin portages took about 6 hours. We had a little trouble getting to the stoneman from the floating bog, only because we hesitated and didn’t want to miss the take out multiple times.

Aiken was difficult crossing. The wind died right after we finished the crossing.

The broadleaf was a little low, but all of the portages were short and obvious.

PostPosted: February 11th, 2018, 10:00 am 

Great to hear that the water levels came back up on the Broadleaf. I think there are some untold tales of woe from some who pulled and slogged through the route with very little water to float a canoe from August on.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6