It is currently September 20th, 2019, 9:53 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: September 25th, 2012, 9:05 am 

Hmmm, what an interesting thread.

That weekend me and my wife bumped into Christine on he Rice River on her way home.

While we were having lunch we watched Christine run one rapid, and I was thinking to myself. "She should take Brian's White Water course, she would probably be having a little more fun out there."

I have taken it, and I highly recommend it. Especially if she is out there by herself.

Scott

PostPosted: September 25th, 2012, 8:11 pm 

Christine and I spoke about it again last night and we both want to take the course, will have to see what transpires next spring.

She did mention being watched while attempting to run that little riffle. It is a wee bit more disconcerting for us since we usually now trip in wood boats or on longer trips with my kevlar boat. I'm sure with a better skill set I will attempt more with my wood canvas boat next year and at the moment we are planning a longer trip up the Rice for next season.

PostPosted: September 25th, 2012, 11:02 pm 

White water and I are not friends. I do scoot through the odd one to save time but really, when I am way back in the woods by myself I tend not to run any that I am unsure of. It's about learning to make good decisions. Of course I still mess up and running that one was not on my game plan until I was too far into it to back out. It was nice not to have to portage that one though...lol.
Sighhhhh. Yes a white water course is a good idea. So is bear spray and I don't use that either. But I plan to, soon. For both.

You left too soon Scott, you missed the two moose hunters getting caught in the current and having their boat almost swept over the falls. We had a bit of a time pulling the boat back up onto shore.

Twas a great day on the water though thats for sure.

...Christy

PostPosted: September 26th, 2012, 5:40 pm 

Sounds like the two moose hunters could use a canoe course.

PostPosted: September 28th, 2012, 2:16 pm 

When we pulled out of the Rice River, they had started loading up their gear into their boat....and they picked my brain a little about what they were in for in regards to portaging.

I knew that they were in trouble by how much stuff was going in that boat...but if they didn't leave for another hour...yikes that boat must have been heavy.

I didn't look at it too long but i remember it being a very narrow aluminum fishing boat with a very small and beat-up outboard motor on it. I didn't think there much current at the put in...I can't fathom how they could get caught in the current.
That impressive and scary all rolled into one.

Makes me wonder how far down the river they made it...

PostPosted: September 28th, 2012, 2:35 pm 

Rice River where? Which park?

Thanks, Pat.

p.s. Thanks for sharing, nice pics and report, makes me want to get out for a solo.

PostPosted: September 28th, 2012, 7:03 pm 

It isn't in a park, Crown Land as far as I know. Access is via the new east side road that is being built up to Bloodvein and beyond, the old winter road. It only became easily accessable last year, about 30km up from PR304 and it is a 90kmh zone all the way. Nice drive in summer, a little bumpy early in the season.

PostPosted: September 29th, 2012, 12:27 am 

Thanks. I have mixed feelings about new roads up there, but I really look forward to getting back there one day! Pat.

PostPosted: September 29th, 2012, 9:37 am 

Some photo's from Christines recent trip on the river. I take care of photo editing and such so I offered to post them for her. She did figure out how to position the boat for a photo to not get the bucket it in.

Attachments:
Nasty looking sky.jpg
Nasty looking sky.jpg [ 31.07 KiB | Viewed 1783 times ]
First Falls.jpg
First Falls.jpg [ 68.49 KiB | Viewed 1783 times ]
Looking downstream.jpg
Looking downstream.jpg [ 54.41 KiB | Viewed 1783 times ]

PostPosted: September 29th, 2012, 9:41 am 

Christine isn't much for picture taking, I usually take care of that.

Attachments:
The Lake.002.jpg
The Lake.002.jpg [ 57.18 KiB | Viewed 1756 times ]
Cabin across the Lake.jpg
Cabin across the Lake.jpg [ 30.3 KiB | Viewed 1756 times ]
Old cabin .002.jpg
Old cabin .002.jpg [ 77.19 KiB | Viewed 1756 times ]
Old cabin .003.jpg
Old cabin .003.jpg [ 115.39 KiB | Viewed 1756 times ]

PostPosted: September 29th, 2012, 9:49 am 

I have to agree the new road isn't necessarily going to be a good thing. If you are paddling the Bloodvein it will take the ferry out of the picture since a road shuttle will be possible now but it opens a huge area of to resource development as well. Places like the Rice River will now get more attention and potentially lose the charm it now has.

We haven't driven the new road since last year which at the time went as far as Loon Straights, but it likely is all the way in to Bloodvein by now and they are working to push it all the way to the Berens River. Theoretically they could go all the way and connect to the road system at Norway House, given enough time.

Also, the Bipole 3 transmission line which Manitoba Hydro has chosen to bring down the west side of the province, the provincial conservatives would prefer to bring down the east side, which would be along the road which is being built now. Sure, would save money but think of the environmental damage it would do.

PostPosted: September 30th, 2012, 11:24 am 

The folks who say the eastern route will "save money" are really just thinking of engineering costs and whether it will save money for them - they are conveniently ignoring many hidden costs, like the costs of various environmental mitigations (e.g. planning to protect caribou) and the many years of expensive court costs related to Aboriginal rights/benefits, not to mential the lost opportunity to protect the wilderness. Blah, blah.

Anyway, nice canoeing country.

Pat.

PostPosted: September 30th, 2012, 9:18 pm 

Yes it is wonderful canoeing country and there is lots of room there. Most people wont venture as far off the road as we do and there are countless other places to explore as well. And its not quad friendly country up there which is a bonus.

I take pictures of what interests me and so they are of rather random things. Karin is the photographer, I just take pictures.

...Christy

PostPosted: March 31st, 2013, 11:54 pm 

Can anyone shed some light on the condition of the new road? I'd love to try this since it's about an hour and a half drive for me but I'm driving a small Volkswagen. It can handle rough (no trouble on 314 through Nopiming) but any large ruts or soft ground and I'm done.

Also, where do you park? It's been a few years since I've driven the road and every time I've been down it has been during the Winter. I don't recall if there's a place to park or not.

Great report by the way!

PostPosted: April 1st, 2013, 6:53 am 

Neil
In summertime it is a typical dry gravel road, the speed limit is 90 and we drive it at that speed all the time. It is generally smooth and still gets little traffic although it does have large trucks on it due to the ongoing construction north of Loon Straights.

Your VW shouldn't have a problem and the easiest way to go is just try it at a slower speed until you feel comfortable going faster.

A the Rice there is parking on both sides of the road adjacent to the bridge. Just pull off to the side. In fact, we camped in one of the spots just across the bridge on the west side a couple years ago.