It is currently September 22nd, 2019, 7:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: April 1st, 2013, 9:13 am 

If you google east side road authority you find some interesting plans for allweather roads to poplar river, little grand rapids as well as a northern system from norway house to Gods , red sucker and island lakes

PostPosted: April 2nd, 2013, 6:53 am 

Thanks for the info Karin!

I will definitely try this one out soon. It's nice to have options for Saturday/Sunday trips. So many short routes are too busy to go in on a Saturday.

I noticed Google Maps (and satellite) shows a road heading toward the east side of shallow lake. I assume this is the old winter road to St Theresa Point but I also wonder if it could be an old logging road that has been re-purposed for local hunting use.

PostPosted: May 2nd, 2014, 12:41 pm 

I recall doing this trip around 1990, near the summer solstice. We were on the water shortly after 8 AM, water levels appearing to approximate those shown in this post's photos. I don't recall the same degree of vegetation in Shallow Lake: perhaps the rice has grown thicker or we were earlier enough in season to beat the growth. (At one time Shallow Lake was deeper but a fellow dislodged a significant portion of outflow rock to lower the lake level, presumably to facilitate wild rice growth.).

At one time there used to be a significant log structure on the island in Shallow Lake, a lodge for the company officers of the Bissett gold mine. It was still there when I was last on the lake in the early nineties but heard that it had subsequently burnt down.

We progressed to the Rice River headwaters at Kapeemechekamak Lake, also known locally as Boundary Lake. (I don't have my topo map but scanning the map at Toporama, a streamlet from the northeast draining Wakunni Lake is marked Rice River and this is probably correct as it is the longer drainage: we always regarded the outflow of Kapeemechekamak Lake as the river.). This river section meanders through the Prairie Transition Zone and is broad and flat with few drops. There is rough section closer to Kapeemechekamak Lake and we used to take out on river left (south side) to a nearby portage trail, which may be open if still used as a winter access snowmobile trail.

Kapeemechekamak lake is unusual. It has the same orientation as English Lake to the southeast but with approximately two-thirds the surface area. How Kapeemechekamak Lake differs markedly from nearby area lakes is its depth: we measured depths as great as 120 feet (37 meters) and much of the lake is 60 feet (18 meters) and more in depth. Fishing in late spring is great but gets much tougher later in the season as the fish migrate to greater depths. (Should anyone want specific instructions on where to fish in June, contact me by email.). For two weeks in mid-June (perhaps later this year with the cool spring season), Pickerel fishing can be phenomenal.

For the life of me, I can't recall whether we overnighted at Kapeemechekamak Lake or somewhere else on the river during this trip. But I have spent several nights on the lake, usually on the beach at the lake extreme northern shore. This is the best beach, a secondary one existing at the south end of the lake but that one is a sand -clay mixture. There are plenty of rock sections suitable for camps should one wish to select a campsite based on wind direction (prevailing summer winds are southwest and northwest.).

Always a good day, east of James Bay.

PostPosted: May 3rd, 2014, 6:13 am 

The log structure you talk about is still there, albeit in less good shape than likely when you last saw it. I have photo's somewhere of it. Wouldn't take much work to get it back in shape, at least to be habitable.

PostPosted: May 30th, 2014, 10:21 pm 

If you go back a few pages in this report you will see some pics labelled "old cabin". That is the lodge on shallow lake.

christy

PostPosted: May 31st, 2014, 8:39 pm 

Again big props to you Mihun for bringing this area back onto the radar and the work you've done on ports

Woot woot!

PostPosted: June 1st, 2014, 4:19 pm 

Thanks CLofchik but we aren't the only ones out there cleaning ports, many users of the wilderness out here do so, be it out of necessity or personal pride. The fact we seem to do more might just be due to being more prolific in our postings.

We have all sorts of plans to do more, but for an activity as inexpensive as canoe tripping, we lack the funding to be out there more than a few times a year.

By September Christine will be 5 months post heart attack and she is planning a trip up the Rice at that time. We will be taking the 3rd friend in 3 years up the Rice River as an introduction to canoe tripping in Manitoba.