It is currently October 19th, 2019, 5:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: October 3rd, 2012, 4:58 pm 

Haven't manged any true solo trips this year so thought I would post some pictures from this last weekend when I squeezed in a last minute couple of nights from Caddy Lake up to Sailing Lake in the Whiteshell.

Took my Wildfire. Loading all the gear and and food into one pack made things simple but I did have some issues with trimming the canoe when it got windy.

Note the home made seat cushion!

I'm not sure if this shot taken inside the tunnel is artistic or just really bad!

I avoided the designated sites and opted for a small beach on Sailing Lake

I took along a small home made 1.5m x 2.5m tarp and a bivvi bag which gave me the flexibility to choose a spot too small for a tent.

Though the weather was warm early in the evening and I sat around on the beach cooking on my Yukon Firebox, it became very windy later.

I had to get up in the night when a gust pulled all the pegs out from the sand! A large log made a more secure guy point and my canoe helped with drafts sneaking under the tarp. On the plus side, while sorting all this out in the dark I looked up to see the Northern Lights flickering through a gap in the clouds.

I could feel the weather changing so I headed back south to put me closer to the car and hopefully limiting the distance to be paddled should the wind rise further and the temperatures drop. This turned out to be a very wise move.

I found a designated spot just north of the Caddy tunnel with a patch of grass so I was able to pitch the tarp despite the lack of suitable trees.

With no suitable firewood left on this pitch I used the Minibull alcohol stove instead of the fire, making use of the gravity feed to relax while my pasta cooked.

Whilst I was sat quietly cooking dinner a red fox came into camp, made a quick circuit before coming right up to me, then stealing one of my leather gloves from beside my pack! Of course my camera was not within reach when all this happened.

One downside of camping at this spot is how close you are to the rail line. Each hour until midnight I was treated to a freight train passing by!

I could feel the wind blowing hard from the south in the morning and I was very relieved to make it back along Caddy Lake. There were times when I really felt like I was getting nowhere. I just kept paddling and watching the shoreline pass, inch by inch!

Back on the beach I faced the reality of tripping in the Whiteshell.

I had picked up around a grocery bag full of garbage from the places I had stopped; cans, plastic bottles old rope and the usual pieces of fishing tackle...

Oh well, it will be snowing soon. Time to varnish the snowshoes.

PostPosted: October 3rd, 2012, 6:45 pm 

Hey thanks for sharing, looks like some nice weather and tranquility. And thanks for picking up the garbage!

PostPosted: October 3rd, 2012, 7:14 pm 

Great photos and trip report. Really enjoyed the pics of your various tarp setups with the paddle supports. Unfortunately picking up the detritus left behind by other inconsiderate yahoos seems to the norm these days. Hopefully you've gained some good karma for your next trip.

PostPosted: October 3rd, 2012, 10:17 pm 

I got out two weeks ago and it was great. We had intended to head out this weekend but the weather as you may know has turned cold and wet so we made the decision to cancel. I so love these fall trips, it is the best time of year to be in the woods and there is no better way to get around than by canoe.

...Christy

PostPosted: October 4th, 2012, 7:25 am 

Thanks for this. We had a cottage on Caddy while I was growing up. Great memories of Cadddy.N&S Cross, Sailing Lakes. I spent a lot of time in a canoe and MB on them.

Hugh

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
M.T.

PostPosted: October 4th, 2012, 8:40 am 
CCR Moderator & Assistant Administrator

Excellent pics and documentation. Me too I have great memories of Caddy and the Whiteshell.

Hugh wrote:
Thanks for this. We had a cottage on Caddy while I was growing up.
Hugh

Perhaps you knew the Lounts who also were on Caddy and who sailed Albacores way back then.

PostPosted: October 4th, 2012, 11:09 am 

I don't think there are many folk sailing now. Everyone seems to have a big boat with a big engine! The cottages are getting bigger too. Two storeys are essential plus a separate garage and boathouse. Most have a very sad canoe sitting somewhere in the yard that I guess gets some use when the kids are there for a couple of weeks.

I find the garbage thing very depressing. We were brought up never to drop litter wherever we were. To see that folk who outwardly profess an interest to protect the environment, at least enough that they can fish/kill things, don't really care enough to suffer the minor inconvenience of taking their trash home, brings home the difficulty of getting more abstract messages on sustainability to the wider public.

PostPosted: October 9th, 2012, 12:40 pm 

Trip little trip Chris,
thanks for sharing.

PostPosted: February 23rd, 2013, 12:18 am 

Can anyone provide a guesstimate trip time (days?) from Caddy Lake to Big Whiteshell Lake via Mallard Lake/Mallard Falls (i.e. Whiteshell River)? We're strong paddlers that don't fish.

And can this route be done either way or are there issues with current in the Whiteshell River?

Thanks !!

PostPosted: February 24th, 2013, 7:16 pm 

Some information here-

http://www.paddle.mb.ca/resources/routes/day_trips/w-27-whiteshell-river-upper-part/

Chris

PostPosted: February 25th, 2013, 9:01 pm 

Length of paddling from Caddy to Big Whiteshell.

This should be doable in two days (might be a little longer than most people want). I would give myself three but then I tend to doddle.

Either direction is possible since the current is not particularly strong - what flow there is goes north. Check the tunnels with Parks or Conservation to ensure they are open if you are going early in the year or after heavy precipitation.

I would suggest getting at least into sailing lake (starting at Caddy) since, as Chris notes, the camp sites where there is easy motor boat traffic tend to be a mess.

If you have the time I might suggest taking the back country route through Mantario. Going in through Granite Lake spares you the really long portage(s) but there are lots.