It is currently September 22nd, 2019, 7:52 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: May 24th, 2015, 9:01 pm 

Four of us launched from Caribou Landing on Quesnel Lake, 19:30 on Friday May 15th. We camped at Elbow Rapids, arriving in time to set up in the light.

We were expecting rain Saturday but woke up to sunshine and heat.

We were expecting cooler temps and rain Sunday but ended up with near freezing temps. It rained, then hailed / freezing rain, then snowed. I'd always been frustrated with my paddling gloves but after the Sunday we had, I decided I'll invest in something pricey like Sealskinz gloves.

Monday we woke up to more snow.

Eventually we saw some sun.

Last edited by Neil Fitzpatrick on June 15th, 2017, 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: May 26th, 2015, 12:11 pm 

Still smiling at the end!

PostPosted: May 26th, 2015, 12:55 pm 

Of course!

PostPosted: June 6th, 2015, 4:18 pm 

Wow! Not my idea of a good time (in the snow). Apt title: 'Sunburn and Frostbite'. Good one!

I'm wondering if the derelict shack in the photos is one that belonged to Jim Wood, a trapper who passed away two decades ago. It was a kilometer upstream from a falls, which might have been Steep Rock Falls, on the right bank.

Always a good day, east of James Bay.

PostPosted: June 6th, 2015, 7:36 pm 

:clap: Good job.

Unfortunately, we were held back by snow on the road with our May long attempt.

PostPosted: June 7th, 2015, 12:02 am 

mobax wrote:
Wow! Not my idea of a good time (in the snow). Apt title: 'Sunburn and Frostbite'. Good one!

I'm wondering if the derelict shack in the photos is one that belonged to Jim Wood, a trapper who passed away two decades ago. It was a kilometer upstream from a falls, which might have been Steep Rock Falls, on the right bank.

Yes, I do believe that cabin was Jim Wood's and yes it's just upstream of Steep Rock Falls. I could find out for sure from Charles Simard but I remember seeing or hearing Jim Wood referenced somewhere.

I find old trapper cabins both interesting and sad. Seeing the way items were left at Jim Wood's cabin makes you think he planned on returning but could not because of health or something else out of his control.

PostPosted: June 24th, 2015, 12:09 am 

Quote:
Yes, I do believe that cabin was Jim Wood's and yes it's just upstream of Steep Rock Falls. I could find out for sure from Charles Simard but I remember seeing or hearing Jim Wood referenced somewhere.

I find old trapper cabins both interesting and sad. Seeing the way items were left at Jim Wood's cabin makes you think he planned on returning but could not because of health or something else out of his control.

I met Jim while fishing on the Manigotogan in the early nineties. He was a tough old bird, paddled/portaged his homemade green, plywood canoe from his home in Manigotogan, upstream (and down) solo. He allowed me use his cabin, and I would fish downstream of the falls. Good fishing, good memories.

By happenstance, I met Jim's nephew Jason for the first time this past winter while snowmobiling east of English Lake with my grandson. Small world, this.

Always a good day, east of James Bay.