It is currently August 4th, 2020, 6:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: June 24th, 2020, 11:10 am 

Also- wondering about if anyone has experience/ knowledge about skirting east of Obukowin by taking the Haggart River to Carol Lake. Is this another decent way to skip the Obukowin portage? If so, it would be great to know time estimates for this option.

PostPosted: June 24th, 2020, 8:56 pm 

I would say that the Broadleaf- Tea Pail Portage route to the Bloodvein would be 3-7 days. Three days would be traveling fast and long days but 5-6 would be pleasurable. The option of heading for the Haggart River and on to Carroll would add a few days to the journey and have you traveling lands that burned hard a few years ago. If it is not a really wet year the Obukowin Portages can be a nice rite of passage type of trip. Many of the horror stories are from paddlers following the trappers winter trail instead of the proper middle portage up past the "Stoneman." Another advantage of the Broadleaf route is that once on Aiken's Lake you will have less chance of being wind bound as winds may allow passage to the channel.

PostPosted: June 29th, 2020, 2:35 pm 

Water is high this year. Had a local check out the Wanipigow to confirm. I'm heading that way Saturday and returning around the 13th. Possibly doing the Tea Pail portage to lengthen the trip but may still to the Gammon for more runnable rapids.

When we did the Obukowin portages in 2014, water was high, giving us trouble in sections. Otherwise they weren't as bad as I was expecting. We had trouble from Craven to Ford because we ended up on the old trail. It was horrible. New trail is apparently great.

You'd probably be best off heading up the Broadleaf unless the water drops significantly between now and then. Lots of rain in the forecast so I doubt it.

If you you end up moving quickly and have time to burn, there's lots to explore. I put together a route map to help me plan (a lot of the non-major routes may be high water only routes). It's rough, and just meant for planning. Link may not stay active.

https://app.box.com/s/z9s1dcwtq0csd1wqy4arehfc096mxnn7

Martin, take a look and let me know what you think. I probably used a lot of info I stole from you!

Watch some of Martin's videos, he seems to have a knack for finding nice campsites in Atikaki:
https://youtu.be/IsKi1cLq0Dk?t=907

PostPosted: June 29th, 2020, 8:35 pm 

I was trying to upload my latest GPX file for Atikaki in my trip report but could not get it to load the new file so if anyone would like my updated file send me an E-mail. In this file any waypoint with a ? mark in it means that I have only gleaned that location from other sources and have not been there to verify. In general the main canoe routes are still there but many portages have been moved around over the years.

The Sakakoneckum Portage between the Bloodvein River and Kassacheewonk Lake has had a bad reputation for years. After studying satellite images I easily went in and located the old cairns for the high and dry route. I flagged it two years ago but the next day a fire swept through but I do not think that much of the 2400 meter portage would have burned. It is such a great shortcut to the Beren's if you are heading out of Wallace Lake and using the Tea Pail Portage to cross from the Gammon to the Bloodvein at Stonehouse Lake. It will certainly be quiet up there this year as it looks like the locals have it to themselves for this year.