It is currently September 19th, 2019, 4:47 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: No Pain, No Gain
PostPosted: July 12th, 2017, 4:04 pm 

Thanks for sharing.

Upstream is more work than downstream but in this case gaining access to start off the trans license road is more difficult now due to the unmaintained nature of the road.

PostPosted: July 12th, 2017, 11:35 pm 

Well, at least I saw the photos before Photobucket decided to kick the bucket.

I scanned the report quickly at work to see the photos and returned now to read the report and the photos are gone!

That's sure a lot of bugs. I love the knee-deep in mud part. If you can laugh at that you're doing something right. I was thinking of you two as my wife and I will be trying my luck on the Broadleaf this weekend. With dogs in tow! I'll be using your Broadleaf Bypass route if we make it that far.

PostPosted: July 16th, 2017, 3:16 pm 

I was out there again last friday with a couple of 15 year old nieces. Always a nice trip. A lot more water this time...closer to spring levels. If that is any indication you should have been ok on the Broadleaf Neil

Christine

PostPosted: July 16th, 2017, 6:53 pm 

Neil is out there now but I am glad to hear that the water levels are up. Count down, two weeks to go.

PostPosted: July 29th, 2019, 11:56 am 

Hi Christine & Karin,

Without the photos, I had trouble following your description on the map. Now that I've been there and have looked at Google Maps more, I can follow it. I can confirm that your "#6" includes a big waterfall too. But we count differently!

Your "#6" would be my #8 (about 10-11 km up from the Maskwa Project). I think you're counting portages and I'm counting rapids? And you did portages at spots we just paddled/dragged/lifted, so our numbers don't match up. But there are more big falls at 11 km and 13 km. At 11 km (your "#6") there are ATV trails to use for the portage, but at 13 km it looks like a 300 m trail would need to be cut.

I also misunderstood Charles' video "10 km up and back". He went 10 km return, 5 up and 5 back, but I had thought his video was 10 km upriver, and it seemed like too much flat and not enough scenic falls.

The 4:30 mark of his video (where I presume he turned around) shows your #4 where you saw ATVs. You mentioned a possibility of camping there near up near the adjacent road/trail, but even if you had to put your tent up near the trail, there is lots of nice exposed rock along the river to hang out on. I thought it would be a nice camp spot (but with loads of poison ivy).

I'll post my update in the thread titled "The Maskwa River":
https://www.myccr.com/phpbbforum/viewto ... 7&start=30

Cheers, Pat.