It is currently September 30th, 2020, 9:34 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 21st, 2002, 5:52 pm 

I am looking for some first-hand information on a trip I am planning on the Dumoine River. My plan is to do a 6 day trip but I was wondering if there is any road access to the river for this length of trip. From the Hap Wilson brochures, it looks like this can only be done by flying into one of 2 lakes and then ending up on the Ottawa R.. I would like to do the trip in mid May to avoid bugs and low water levels. Any information by those who have been on the river would be appreciated.
keith

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 21st, 2002, 7:11 pm 

Kieth last year I wanted to do the Dumoine as a loop from Temagami . Because of the summer not being long enough it didn't happen . I would still like to do this but we would need more than 6 days . Would you be interested in this ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 22nd, 2002, 1:41 pm 

The cost for the flight is very reasonable and is well worth the money ($280 to Lac Benoit - cash only). It was an awesome way to start a trip and was the highlight until we started hitting some of the bigger rapids. 6 days in high water - I'm envious! By the time you figure in your time, gas and shuttle costs, the flight is a good option.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 23rd, 2002, 3:04 am 

I've done the dumoine three times. The first time was a two week loop trip, lining up a small parallel river from ottawa. I'm afraid I don't remember what the other river was. It was a very long time ago. The second and third times I flew in by float plane.

There are roads along the bottom two or three days worth of the river. But you really want to get higher up the river than the roads go.

I'd vote for the float plane too.

Regards,

Robin.

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 10th, 2002, 1:56 pm 

We did the Dumoine last year the July long weekend. We still had lots of water and not too much trouble with bugs. We were driven in by Valley Ventures Outfitters (in Deep River) to the bridge a km or 2 above Lac Benoit. As we had three canoes to take in, it was quite a bit less expensive to travel in his truck than to have three flights. We took 3 days but it would have been a much more pleasant 4 day trip, and really lazy 5 days, with lots of playing. For our purposes, the drive was the best way to go.

Peter