It is currently November 11th, 2019, 4:09 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 135 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next
PostPosted: September 6th, 2011, 7:20 pm 

Hi megiscane,

Nice to hear more about CK.

I imagine that you more than anyone has seen the changes come about in that area with all the added logging roads and outfitters over the last 30 odd years.

GG

email: geraldguay@hotmail.com
http://www.geraldguay.ca

PostPosted: September 6th, 2011, 8:33 pm 

from 1967 thru 2000 ,every summer,at the north camp,why the interrogation, my sons name is andre murnane, after a good friend , andre sigouin, google my sons name, he's a quite decorated green-beret in the us army,named quite frankly for andre sigouin,my friend, ,who died attempting to help people who could not ,or were afraid, to help themselves,who the hell might you be ?

dennis murnane

PostPosted: September 7th, 2011, 12:54 am 

andre sigouin (homer's son?) was on a canoe trip with me at camp kapitachouane back in the late 60's or early 70's. i knew that he had been killed in an accident while piloting a bush plane, but have never known the particulars. andre siguoin was a great kid with lots of enthusiasm, personality, and zest for life. from what i read about your son, andre murnane, his namesake would have been proud.

PostPosted: September 7th, 2011, 6:43 am 

andre sigouin and i were good friends. glad you got to know him. even at ayoung age he was remarkably brave, capable, confident, and honorable. also fun-loving i truly believe his spirit abounds in the north woods we all came to love. will e-mail you with the details of his death

dennis murnane

PostPosted: September 9th, 2011, 4:31 am 

so much info. i never knew there were cabins on lake capitachuan. enjoy this stuff. i told my friends in penn. and i'm certain they will visit here and contribute their warm memories. also spoke with irene ,one of the sigouin sisters ,last week. their family will be thrilled to know about the memories shared on this site. when they were young they all were raised in the big house on choisel lake.

dennis murnane

PostPosted: September 22nd, 2011, 4:29 pm 

I was at the camp in the summer of'65. Out of Kieve in Maine with 13 other oldest campers cabin, South Harris. Don't recall the counselors names. It rained hard for 18 of the 21 days out. Bannock was a site for sore eyes!

Bob McCall
West Chester PA USA

PostPosted: September 23rd, 2011, 8:17 am 

yes, august of '65 was a wet month (my first trip up there). i'm surprised i came back. even the t.p. (bum wad) got wet.

PostPosted: September 24th, 2011, 11:04 am 

Bumped into this discussion and it brought back some memories for me as well. Although I was never fortunate enough to go to Camp Kapitachuan, I do remember a trip I took with my brother in 91 from the Kapitachuan railway stop south to the La Verendrye park reserve. We had left a car, in the care of an elder in an Algonquin village in the park and took the train from Montreal. It was beautiful country and I have fond memories of the trip. Still have the railway ticket and a photo of the railway stop that I'm sure many of you will remember. Here are the pics.

Attachment:
Kap 1.jpg
Kap 1.jpg [ 374.97 KiB | Viewed 2734 times ]

Attachment:
VIA Ticket.jpg
VIA Ticket.jpg [ 432.76 KiB | Viewed 2734 times ]

Cheers,
Art.

PostPosted: September 25th, 2011, 6:47 pm 

Hi Mark Hinkley,

I too spent time in the woods and on the rivers in the summer of "65 out of Kapitachuan. Was wondering if you could tell me who the counsellors were that were on your trip. I have very little material items from my experience there, except for the memories of trying to stay dry and warm. When the sun did break out, the white beaches on the shores of some of those lakes were blinding. But that was most infrequent. Once, we were in the middle of a lake 2 miles wide by 12 miles long, and the skies opened up in a torrential downpour. My bowman, Freddie Schluter, a tough 13 year old camper, and I made it to shore drenched but happy. The portages were challenging. I recall one was 3 miles. The mosquitoes were relentless. I owe that experience to my ability to handle any challenge that I have faced since. I live in West Chester Pennsylvania, work for the local electric and gas utility, and write business articles and occasional fiction pieces.

Bob McCall

PostPosted: September 26th, 2011, 9:20 am 

bob,

nice to hear from you. as i mentioned in earlier posts, my first canoe trip with ck was in august of '65. our trip leader was henry soper (my sternman), who was an undergraduate at yale. our med councelor was a dark-haird guy whose name eludes me (eisen-something, i think), and we had an assistant trip leader too, but i cannot recall his name. our trip consisted of mostly 13-year olds. my older brother (jack)was up there that same month and his trip, but i didn't know any of his councelors. is it also possible that you were there in july instead of august? although bad in august, the bugs were even worse in july (black flies, mosquitoes, deer flies, etc.). i took a lot of different trips up there over a 10-year period, but never went on a portage longer than 2 miles. i'm not sure where there was a 3-miler, but i'm sure it was difficult. many of the trips we took started out over what were called the bourgmont portages. there were 3 of them: the first was a shortie, but the next two were each a mile long. the first of the milers was partly along the cnr railroad tracks. that first day was a real baptism by fire.

PostPosted: September 26th, 2011, 9:28 am 

bob,

i just re-read your earlier post and realize that you were with kieve, who always came up to camp in early august for 3 weeks. my guess is you went on the capitachouane river (which means you wouldn't have had to take the bourgmont portages i referenced in my previous post. if that was the case, you would have had a 2 mile portage about 1/3 of the way through the trip. i don't know which of camp kapitachouan's councelors would have been sent out with you guys.

PostPosted: September 26th, 2011, 9:33 am 

hey art clark,

i loved your picture of the kapitachouan club rr stop. i remember that the train from montreal would drop us off in the morning, and we would get picked up at the end of the month late in the evening. i saw from your ticket stub that you were up there in mid-may, which is a month and a half earlier than any of our trips went out. it looks like the trees were not yet leafed out. how were the bugs then? i imagine that the water levels were more reliably high then.

PostPosted: September 26th, 2011, 9:34 pm 

Hi Mark,
We always tried to get in and out in the early spring to avoid the bugs. On that particular trip, May 10 we didn't encounter any bugs at all, zero. We did have frosty nights and frozen water containers in the morning though. Water levels were high and running fast. Because there was only myself and my brother, we portaged most rapids for saftey sake. It would have been a long haul to walk out or get to a road. I seem to remember that we had to clear some of the portages as they were not well used. We travelled south to the highway.

Cheers,
Art.

PostPosted: September 27th, 2011, 10:26 am 

wow...the concept of canoeing up there with no bugs boggles the mind. sounds like a good idea. which river did you run?

PostPosted: September 28th, 2011, 5:37 am 

Clarkeaw,

We also ran the Capitachouan River from the train drop off. We however came in from the West on the train leaving Senneterre at suppertime. We would get off at about 11 pm in the darkness and sleep inside a rain shelter at the stop. That was in the 70's so I don't know if the shelter was still there in 1991. Both of my trips down the Capi were in August and the river was quite runable then. It was on my second trip down that I first met Rod Beebe and Carl Williams. Rod and I began corresponding and exchanging information on the canoeing possibilities of that entire area between KK and Chibougamou. I also met Rod twice with his group in the bush in the following years. The wealth of information he provided me with of that area allowed for some great month long trips (some shorter) in what was then a roadless territory.

That wilderness has changed now and we all posting here were privileged to get a taste of nature and adventure in it's purest form.

GG

email: geraldguay@hotmail.com
http://www.geraldguay.ca

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 135 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next