It is currently September 30th, 2020, 7:44 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 31st, 2002, 12:17 pm 

I have the guide and the very rough map in it but am looking for any feed back on favorite routes. Loop may not be necessary as there seems to be a good shuttle service at La Domaine.
How is this park. Crowded anywhere?
I have time in July and cringe at the possiblilty of hordes in ALgonquin . other possibilities are the 18 mile island loop of the French and Jumpin Cariboo loop in Temagami,
or Massassauga( did I spell it right? Too much like Massachusetts) which I dont have any info on and the website says No Map available.
I can speak enough French (high school Parisian French) to either : 1.get in trouble
or( what IS the word for bathroom?) 2. send the listener into hysterics.
Sorry about diverging into Ontario. Just mulling over possibilities.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 31st, 2002, 1:16 pm 

Shuttle service, so friends tell me, is quite good if you book ahead. There are numerous loops available, one loop in your time range starting right at Le Domaine. #16 (Kondiaronk) is apparently quite scenic and has very low traffic.

We'll be doing a trip this summer along parts of 34, 33 and 35; this will be an 8 day trip. In 5 days there are several loops in that region that should have even fewer people than the south area around Le Domaine. One to watch is anything along loop #34 which, although quite beautiful, has very few campsites. Actually, the good distances between campsites (as opposed to the suburbia of Algonquin) is definitely a positive feature to me.

Last summer we did a combination of 78, 77 and up around 70 (8 days). It was beautiful and we saw people only the first and last days. There are some 5 day options up here as well. Richard has our trip log with lots of photos but has never published it - the scenery back in around Hawkesbury and Lac Henault is quite beautiful and there is a good stand of old growth along Lac Henault.

I suggest getting the maps - MEC carries them and they are available from Le Domaine. You would want maps #1, #2 and #4 and they only cost about $9.00 each.

http://www.sepaq.com/En/IndexDirectEn.cfm?reserve=5

Don't worry about language, they are used to the non-bilingual Ontarians as well as US visitors. There can be fisherman on some of the lakes but this is usually only common on the weekends (particularly long weekends). There is also some clearcutting going on that spoils a couple of stretches but for the most part the park is quite scenic.

The water is quite big, even compared to Temagami so you definitely need to be proficient in navigating and negotiating with wind and waves. Last summer we had one evening (and this was the first week of July) that went to about 4 degrees with really big winds. The rest of the trip had only one day that went above 24 degrees so you want to take some warm stuff even in the middle of the summer.

Sandy beaches are common and most campsites are nicely under-used in comparison to Temagami and Algonquin. Wood is not a problem and most sites now have rather quaint "thunderbarrels" - Le Domaine use the top half of blue plastic barrels. Portages, for the most part, are marked and the relatively flat terrain means easy walking.

My favourite area has been Lac Hawkesbury/Lac Henault but the area down around the entrance to Kondiaronk is also quite beautiful. But mainly I like the lack of people...

Temagami, IMHO, is more scenic but the last time I was there I was disgusted by the state of the campsites and general overuse. Until they start a strict policy to limit traffic I would not go back unless it was a garbage search-and-haul-out project.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: yuri_k on 2002-05-31 14:23 ]</font>

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 6th, 2002, 9:50 am 

I don't have my loop map in front of me, but my two favorite trips are in the northern part of the park at either corner. The Chochocouane River is one, an excellent 5 day trip with flat and white water, the other is a trip out of the other corner that is a loop, you can make it any length you want, basically you exit the park through Lac Granite, and loop out and then back in, you can start and finish at Lac Granite or Grande Lac Victoria at Bai De Sables. Not much information, just some ideas. Even fewer people than the southern part of the park.

Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 9th, 2002, 9:37 pm 

Kim, I just got back from a 7 day fishing trip/canoe/camp in LaVerendrye. We hung around parts of route 77, probably one of the best routes in the park. although probably more a 6/7 day trip. I did route 35 last year and that is a good 5 day trip. It is a nice trip, with some real nice lakes. See my report in the routes section. Be glad to give you or anyone else my info, email rdlauer@yahoo.com Robin