It is currently September 21st, 2020, 9:16 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 21st, 2001, 9:27 pm 
We are planning a six or seven day trip this September and are considering flying in to Lac Wright on the Coulonge or Lac Farant on the Noire.

Does anybody have any suggestions on which of these would make the best trip at this time of year. Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 24th, 2001, 8:40 am 

I just got off the Coulonge yesterday. Pretty tuff trip. Water was low and the bugs were ferocious. A fair amount of lining and the portages were brutal. We made lousy time but keep in mind it may have been because of limited experience. After getting off, the outfitter said we should have done the Noire !

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 9th, 2001, 10:58 pm 

I have done both and highly recommend the noire over the colounge and the dumoine. The noire is a fantastic river with challenging but doable rapids for the intermediate and above paddler. If you are a beginner do the colounge, if you a little above that (ie you are comfortable in tripping canoes doing most class 2 and aproach class 3's with extreme caution) the noire is for you. The scenary is beautiful, the river black, and the rapids a blast. Even many of the class 3 rapids are doable because of there short length(ie fifty fifty rapids).
Colonge-
Went last year in high water, the current was moving so fast that our 6 day trip was done in 4 and could have been done in 3.
Pros- great swimming at all the rapids, -guinette rapids is a long challenging c2 to c3
-some truly beautiful campsites
- great fishing

cons- very crowded during the last 4 days, dont time yourself to end a trip on a sunday or monday
- more road access
-bad bugs
- high water meant very little whitewater

noire-went during low water
pros- below mountain chutes is a 4 to 5 km long stetch of continous c2 rapids that will make you hair stand on end, the best stretch I HAVE EVER Seen
- river is as black as ebon
-c3 rapids are very doable
- few people
- a remote cabin hunt club has plenty of flat grass for numerous tents shelter from the storm and great swimming beside a rapid.
- you can end at a pub/ resteraunt in the middle of nowhere
- plenty of wildlife (did'nt see a moose though)
cons- fishing not great
- mountain chutes portage is as difficult a 200 metre portage as you will get tons of horseflys on this one. Bring rope for this one.
- longer paddling days( may be a plus to some
- earlier on there are a few too many sand campsites, great in good weather but terrible in bad

I hope this helps, I know people who swear by the colonge and I certainly did enjoy my trip down that river but I did prefer the noire

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 17th, 2001, 5:50 pm 
I also would prefer the Noire to the Coulonge although they are both good. Before committing to flying check the cost of being shuttled up by either Valley Ventures or the lads at the Black River Inn. This may be cheaper