It is currently July 17th, 2019, 9:41 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Lievre & Batiscan
PostPosted: November 30th, 2007, 4:21 pm 

First off, I apologize for being in the wrong section. Didn't mean to cause such a ruckus.

Second of all, thank you all for so much information.

I've looked at as much as I can find on both rivers and they both look great.

Questions on the Batiscan are: Is the railroad bothersome or particularly noticable? Constant trains, or once a day trains? Do maps exist of the sections either from Lac Batiscan or from Lac Edouard to the northern border of Portneuf Reserve and are either section runnable? Looks like that could stretch the trip another 2-3 days.

Questions on the Lievre are: Looks to be about a 4-day trip...correct?

Of these 2 rivers, which will we be more likely not to see a lot of other people on in the early-mid weeks of June?

Thanks again for all your help!!!

Christian

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 30th, 2007, 5:15 pm 

First off there is no need to apologize based on the nitpickers who posted in the other thread. Only a blind person could see that it was subsequent posters who brought an apparently incompatible geographic location to that thread.

Regarding the Batiscan, the tracks are not really bothersome, the train runs perhaps once a day, they are only a few cars in length and pretty quiet when they pass. Just be aware that it's not isolated wilderness. I've done the trip starting from Lac Edouard which as you said can add an extra couple of days. There are a few rapids in this section but mostly it's flatwater. I think the map available from FQCK includes this section or at least it did at one time (I could probably dig up a copy of my old map or at least provide the prime points of interest). If you start at Lac Edouard you can self-shuttle with two vehicles or take the train.

The Lievre is a 4 day trip if you start at Lac Orthes, you can add 2 days by starting at Lac Nemiscachingue.

You won't likely see a lot of people on either river, in general if there's no snow on the ground and/or not hunting season most of the backcountry in Quebec is lightly travelled..

I'd pick the Lievre if nice campsites are important, the Batiscan if I wanted the most challenging rapids.

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 1st, 2007, 10:19 am 

...I'm not sure, but I'd heard that beginning of June is the start of hunting season on Lievre - could be not a best place to be at that time...

...about Batiscan - it is possible to start trip from Lac Batiscan and aux Eclairs river if Batiscan is running high (about 80-90m3s for Portes section), which would make a much better beginning of white water trip than long flats of upper Batiscan (the logistic is also much easier - you can simply drive to Lac Batiscan without messing with trains, which could be late or suspended at all)...

...however, the major challenge for first weeks of June is not to be able to find a good river with some water ...the major challenge is to beat the bugs ...even at last week of May 2007 we got really hit by black flies on Batiscan and that was really terrible ...thus, it could be a good idea to take another look at some rivers further north ...I can suggest Mistassibi NE (as usual, I just like this river :) ) - if you have a car with some AWD and at least 7" of clearance you will be able to drive to the southern end of Lac Froget and make you path to Mistassibi from there with some short portages ...at high water levels there are a good numbers of class III-III+ rapids, and scenery is just unbelievable...

...you can take a look at my maps (disregard two first "lake" maps and start from river-map-p1 - the road really goes there) ...the photos from our trip we made at May 2006 could be found here

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 5th, 2007, 10:41 am 

Again, thanks for all the help.

Sounds like the Batiscan is going to provide us with 5-6 days of whitewater if we start at Lac Batiscan. That's perfect. Anyone know an outfitter who would shuttle us up to the lake from the Rousseau area?

Any worthwhile fishing on this river? Any Quebec rules or regualtions we should be aware of? Dogs ok?
We learned last year on the Bonaventure to buy our booze before we get into Quebec!!!

Thanks,
Christian

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 5th, 2007, 11:08 am 
CCR Assistant Administrator

Quebec fishing & hunting regulations
http://www.mrnf.gouv.qc.ca/english/wild ... /index.jsp

Barbara

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 5th, 2007, 3:14 pm 

Does anyone have a map of the Batiscan with the comments written in English...?

I know, I know - stupid Americans...

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 5th, 2007, 5:55 pm 

...as another "stupid American" I've already found that "Language Tools" on Google gives me French-English translation that almost always good enough for river descriptions... :lol:

...couple of suggestions:

- look out for water levels - as you planning your trip for June then there is a 50/50 chance that water would be too low to have any fun on Eclairs (probably it still will be passable, but with some significant scraping, wading, pushing and pulling) - take a look at the water level history graph I've prepared for my trip -
http://public.fotki.com/GPU/misc/batiscan-eclairs/maps-guide/batiscanwater.html - you will need about 80-90m3s to have fun (60-70m3s probably wouldn't be too bad as well, 50m3s and below means low water on Eclairs)

- prepare some phrases in French - you would need them to communicate with people in Portneuf reserve office and ZEC Riviere-Blanche office - they don't speak English at all (as almost all other residents at Village of Riviere-a-Pierre)...

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 5th, 2007, 6:34 pm 

Quote:
...as another "stupid American"

My how things have changed! You once described yourself as a "crazy Russian" :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 5th, 2007, 8:48 pm 

...yep, indeed - no more "crazy Russian" for me - don't feel that way anymore (still doing trips with my bunch of "crazy Russians", but it is a different story)... :doh:

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 6th, 2007, 12:28 pm 

VA Paddler,

Why don't you try this old thread? It has useful information.

http://www.myccr.com/SectionForums/view ... t=batiscan

The train from Riviere au Pierre is an almost ideal method of access.

Frankr