It is currently March 19th, 2024, 6:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Riviere Toulnustouc
PostPosted: March 2nd, 2009, 12:05 pm 

Just planning way ahead, and I'm toying with the idea of a trip into the Manicouagan Crater in a year or two, and was looking for an egress route. I'd prefer to avoid the Manicouagan River south of the crater...too much flat water.

Has anyone paddled this river? Any info on it from just east of the crater to Baie Comeau would be appreciated as to ww above a C3, portages, etc.

Thanks,

Scott

Post subject: Re: Riviere Toulnustouc
PostPosted: April 29th, 2009, 9:31 am 

3 different stories, that can help:
1- I have already called an outfitter, and asked if, after a run of the Seignelay or Mouchalagane, he would carry us and canoes and gear across the reservoir on any boat. He asked which time of the year, and told me that from in late summer, he would not go since his boat was "only" 25 ft or so, which was not enough for the waves that develop under usual wind.

2- I know that Alain Chevrette has paddled it, and survived. However he warned me about the fact that banks were muddy in places, so either you sleep in the canoe, or you beach on some muddy bank, and have to carry your gear in like 300-500m of mud, to reach the forest cover.

3- Fabien Coulombe and Carrie Wallace have done the Matonipi-Outardes, that you may want to try. You have a tough portage i think from NW of the reservoir, but after that, you are fine.
Their map is available from www.cartespleinair.org

Hope this helps !

PostPosted: June 27th, 2009, 10:53 am 

Hi Charles,

thanks for that info & sorry for the late reply.

That portage into the Matonipi looks very tough. I'd likely be travelling solo and would prefer to try and avoid portages like that, and it looks like that river has several sections of R4-6 water that I would need to walk.

I was looking at the Toulnustouc specifically for a few reasons;

1- I've been wanting to see the crater, and do a north shore river, and this seems like a good fit.
2- The Toulnustouc watershed seems to be accessible from Baie Kauashapishkau on the east side of the reservoir/crater, via the Dechene River.
3- there doesn't seem to be any serious ww on the Toulnustouc until the lower sections.
4- the upper Godbout R. is also seems to be easily accessible from the Toulnustouc/Lac St.-Anne. If I'm not mistaken, the Godbout is more an R1-3 river, and this would fit my plans better.

Would you have any info on the upper Godbout? Most of my searches have given me some info on the lower section.

Thanks again for your help!

Scott

PostPosted: June 27th, 2009, 2:02 pm 

Re: Riviere Toulnustouc

Try Gérald Desfossés at info@expedition-canot.com
he guides trips on the Toulnustuc

Also get in touch with La Fédération Quebecoise du Canoe Kayak.

There are at least 2 people in their office who speak very good English. The phone number is 514 252 3001. They have maps with rapids classifications for most Québec rivers. Most maps are not expensive and cost less if you are a member. They take credit cards for immediate service.

For the Toulnustouc the map number is 07111000 and they sell it for $6,83.

GG

email: geraldguay@hotmail.com

PostPosted: July 1st, 2009, 8:55 am 

thanks Gerald,

this trip is still just a work in progress, but it seems to be gathering steam in my house. My wife, who normally avoids my trips over a week in length, has expressed interest in seeing the crater as well.

Although I'm still looking at the Godbout as a possible alternate route of descent to the gulf. Any info out there on the upper sections?

PostPosted: April 10th, 2013, 7:23 pm 

Looks like there is a Dam on the Toulnustouc River as it leaves Lac Saint-Anne:

http://www.canadianconsultingengineer.c ... 000207286/

Scott, were you thinking of paddling the Toulnustouc River to Lac Saint-Anne and then exiting on the Godbout Est River?

PostPosted: December 22nd, 2020, 4:38 pm 

Did anyone ever make it onto the Godbout Est? I'm thinking of paddling that stretch this summer. There's quite a canyon on it...