It is currently September 30th, 2020, 8:23 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 14th, 2001, 11:05 pm 

Hi,everybody.
I am looking for a rivers which still hold water or routes which are not affected much by low lewels.What I can consider in Quebec?
How about Dumoine? What is the level there now? Can it be paddled at low conditions?
Do you have other suggestions?
My requirements:
5-7 days; river or mixed route; whitewater CI-CII, can be with some CIII; Wilderness experience; up to 1000km. from Toronto.

Any info is greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Alex

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 15th, 2001, 4:15 pm 

Alex, We just got off the Coulonge River. With all the talk of drought Quebec is having we were a bit sceptical of even doing the trip. But we went ahead with it and it seemed in very good shape to us. Towards the end of the trip, in a few of the swifts, we had to be a bit more careful in picking the channel. But, aside from that, it was great. If I can help anymore just holler. Tony

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 16th, 2001, 8:27 pm 

Despite bottom scratching low levels in certain rapids, the Jacques Cartier river near Quebec City still offers some good class II and III rapids with ample rolls to play in. Best in Pont Rouge sections...Also wonderful scenery in the valley section of the Jacques Cartier park.
Will be checking out the upper reaches of the Batiscan river this weekend to see if there is any white foam left up there:-) Cheers
Derek

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 18th, 2001, 8:37 pm 

Derek:

Please post your observations of the Batiscan. I did the section from Lac Edouard to Notre-Dam-des-Agnes at the end of May. Certainly plenty of the white stuff on the last 3 days, I'd be interested in knowing what it's like at this time of year.

Ben

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 20th, 2001, 4:14 pm 

Ben
Given the fact you were there in May ,I need not tell you what a wonderful paddling experience the Batiscan river offers at high or medium water levels .
Yesterday our canoe club went up to see what it would be like at low levels and surprisingly we were not disappointed. Granted there weren't any of the long trains of haystack waves you find after the spring run-off , but the technical challenge of manoeuvering through the rocks and huge boulders of the Batiscan's low level rapids activity offers a very different experience of split-second decision-making you don't have to deal with at flush levels.
If you strictly want the whitewater experience, I wouldn't recommend the full run you did of Lac Edouard down to Notre Dame des Anges at these low levels. If you can arrange a shuttle , make your put-in at Ilse à la Croix Miguick at the upper edge of the Portneuf Reserve Faunique(a provincial park) and take out at the southern tip (about 22k of mostly rapids as you will recall).There is one class VI drop that can be easily roped down.We did that run yesterday with scouting stops and lunch in about six hours…which made for a pleasant Sunday outing :smile:The down-side is the long shuttle along dirt roads…about an hour up and an hour down.But what the heck, it was worth every minute of the great run:-)
As I live quite close to the Batiscan ,drop me a message if you need any assistance in planning an outing. You might also consider the Jacques Cartier which just got a few days of rain to wake up some of those dormant rapids :smile:
Cheers,
Derek

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 20th, 2001, 5:59 pm 

I just got back from 3 days on the Coulonge at about the 130-150km mark (Around Cascades des Batardeaux). I'm not sure of the exact mileage on the river; I put in at 131km on the Lac a Jim road, and then went up the river for 2 days, down 1 day. The river was in fine shape. Hardly a nick or a scratch on the bottom of the canoe.

No scratches while going down, anyway; plenty while lining up. Not sure if I would recommend this trip or not, but it was a pleasant enough adventure, and an interesting way to do the best part of the Coulonge. The only downside: campsites were non-existent, although I managed to eke out a meager tent site for a very small tent at Cascade des Batardeaux.