It is currently October 22nd, 2019, 3:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Coulonge River
PostPosted: October 7th, 2009, 1:34 pm 

How early in the spring can you padlle the the Coulonge, want miss the spring foods but, early enough to avoid the bugs.

Post subject: Re: Coulonge River
PostPosted: October 7th, 2009, 3:15 pm 

7 or 8 years ago I ran it starting on April 30th, water levels were not really that high although they were much higher than my previous trip which was mid-Summer.

We did run into quite a bit of ice in the "lake" sections and had some snowy campsites.

To avoid the bugs for sure you should be off the river by the 24th of May weekend, I'd suggest starting around the 15th of May.

Be careful on Rapides Guenette it's one that can bite you in high water. You would be portaging most of the other biggies anyway so water levels are not too critical.

PostPosted: October 9th, 2009, 9:33 am 

About same info... but to confirm.

Ice on lakes... i would say around May 1 you can safely assume there will alywas be a passage through. If you do a section with no big lakes, can be earlier.
May 10 the ici is completely gone.

Flies...
Usually the long weekend is the transition... varies from May 16 to May 23 approximatively. At this time of the year, you will find flies, but they will not be much of a problem. 1 week before, nonce at all. 1 week after: crazy.

Note that the flies are crazy up to early June,
Mid-june and afer they are present, but manageable.

This year i have done a descent (Ruban, 5 days) mid-June. Good compromise between flies, and water levels that were still good.

ok hope this helps

Charles

PostPosted: April 9th, 2011, 11:22 pm 

I figured I'd post this here because it is pretty well the exact same question BUT...from what I understand this area of Quebec did not recieve normal amounts of snow this year so that coupled with the low water levels of last season...I'm wondering if there will be a spring flood this year?

I'm thinking of paddling the last 50-100km of the Coulonge the last week of April. Under a normal year I'm thinking this could pose a problem with ice and/or flood levels but any thoughts as to what it will be like this year if say we do not recieve considerable rain for the next few weeks?

Thanks!