It is currently September 23rd, 2019, 10:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: ZEC Kipawa
PostPosted: February 20th, 2004, 10:52 am 

OK... I've been to ZEC Kipawa about a million times in my life and I've notices these little signs that warn you need to 'register' to use the area, however nobody on the face of the planet seems to know WHERE you register. This hasn't been a concern until I had a group of friends that actually got a 'ticket' from a 'ranger' or something of the sort this year. It all seemed a little sketchy as he didn't speak any English so the details were muddled (I don't think the ticket was ever paid, as there was no payment info on it)
So to my questions:
-Does anyone know how/where to register for this area
-Is there any kind of a ZEC kipawa map with portages and sites on it. I've always just used topos.

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 20th, 2004, 1:18 pm 

Here the info:

http://www.temiscamingue.net/zec_kipawa ... ation.html

Sure if you call them, you can get good information.

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 20th, 2004, 7:24 pm 

Isn't registration only if you plan to hunt and fish? If you don't fish on your canoe trips I suspect you don't need to register. You better get that confirmed though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 20th, 2004, 8:58 pm 

There does seem to be some confusion in the public's mind regarding registration for canoeing in ZEC's. But I did some research last night and the rules for the ZEC Kipawa state that you have to register for all activities within the ZEC. I've never registered for ZEC's but it was always a paddle through.
They even have 6 canoeing circuits that they recommend.
Included below are links which include the ZEC Rules in French, A Zec English-French dictionary, maps, location and phone number of the various registration points, etc.
Hope this is useful to you.

http://www.temiscamingue.net/zec_kipawa/territory.html

http://www.kipawa.com/maps.htm

http://www.kipawa.com/fish.htm

http://www.myccr.com/canoedb/routeDetai ... outeid=481

http://www.zecquebec.com/wmfichiers/Lex ... ancais.pdf

http://www.temiscamingue.net/zec_kipawa/canot.html

http://www.temiscamingue.net/zec_kipawa ... ement.html

Gerald G.

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 21st, 2004, 11:11 am 

Thanks Gerald! There's lots of good information there. I wish I knew of this before my Riviere Lievre trip last year.

According to my reading of the ZecQuebec site you identified, it looks like there is a daily parking fee of just over $5 per day. It can vary from Zec to Zec but not by much. So if you are not hunting and fishing then it looks like that is probably the only fee.

But when I looked at the Zec Kipawa site I saw a canoe-camping fee of $5.75 per day per person. Yet they did not list a parking fee.

Zec Normandie, on the other hand, had no parking fee listed but there was a $5.22 daily access rate. The only camping fee listed was for trailers.

So it looks like there are some minor variations.

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 22nd, 2004, 4:30 pm 

If you enter at the town of Kipawa there's a guy across from the public dock who will let you park for $2.50 a day, $5 if you have a trailer. It seems the territory for ZEC Kipawa only covers about 2 days of the 10 day trip I usually run.

Post subject: Regristration
PostPosted: February 22nd, 2004, 4:30 pm 

I have canoe-camped in ZEC Kipawa a couple of times in the last three years and each time I registered at Bearn outpost. It is actually 32 km south of Bearn on the access road. I chose not to fish inside the ZEC so there was no fee. Registration is however compulsary for statistics and safety purposes. There are other registration outposts on the access roads but their hours are limited. I have heard from others that they do not all follow the same rules for one reason or the other. It pays to be persistent.

<Milan>

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 28th, 2004, 5:30 pm 

"Zec" = "park"? ah, forgive my ignorance, but what does "zec" mean? it's probably something obvious, but i am unable to figure it out at the momment.

i started to read this thread because i just got back from a trip along the Kipawa river last weekend. we dragged sleds down along the portage trail, along the river, to the lodge at the Ottawa Kipawa end. a new buddy of mine has keys, and we spent the night, very nice, very nice way to end a snowshoe trip. the river was open the whole way, as well as along the Ottawa.

anyway, it dawned on me that Quebec has a lot of water (duh!) but when reading about permits, is this provincial park? i mean we just made our selves a "parking" spot by shoveling a small "lot" for 2 vehicles off the hwy, and hiked in, no ticket...

thanks for any info

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 28th, 2004, 6:11 pm 

ZEC stands for zone écologique de chasse, or hunting ecologic zone. A good bit of wilderness and semi-wilderness Québec is divided into these zones which are roughly the size of counties. They are by no means parks though, in a few cases, the zone administrators have made modest efforts to attract canoeists and other green types. The hunting season isn't all that long, really.

Permit requirements vary from ZEC to ZEC, and seem especially confused at Kipawa where Ive been quoted every price imaginable between free (if you're not fishing) to $14.50 per person per night.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 28th, 2004, 9:48 pm 

thanks for clarifying...

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 30th, 2004, 7:52 am 
ZEC means "zone d'exploitation controlée", which loosely translates to "control use zone" (exploitation has a slightly different meaning in French than in English - I believe it doesn't imply an extractive use of resources). They are designated by the provincial government but each is run locally by a non-profit administration committee made up largely by community members, elected by the ZEC users.

Fred B
Orono, ME

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 30th, 2004, 8:04 am 

Anonymous wrote:
ZEC means "zone d'exploitation controlée"

I stand corrected. The fellow at the dépanneur whom I asked years ago must have been pulling my leg. :oops:

Post subject: ZEC Kipawa
PostPosted: March 30th, 2004, 8:24 pm 

I paddled part of ZEC Kipawa last year, I submitted a trip report titled "Brousse Outback", that was the route I took . Nice place, but it had some active logging, might be a turn off to some folks. Not many canoes or anybody else for that matter, worth a visit.
I

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 30th, 2004, 9:13 pm 

Our group has paddled from the

Our group has paddled from the Kipiwa main docks through to Lac Dumoine and then down the Dumoine to the Ottawa and across to the Provincial park on the Ontario side. ( Driftwood I believe) A great trip that can be done in6-7 days with a good crew. We have never approached anybody nor asked about fees or Zec which I believe is all about fishing and hunting. Have done the trip 4 times and never had a problem. Always did a car shuttle to Driftwood so never dealt with Local Kipiwa people. So unless you are fishing or hunting, get your maps and go.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 30th, 2004, 10:31 pm 

Geez!

The ZEC is south and east of our cabin, which is on Dorval Bay in the northwest of Lake Kipawa. It's just a frickin' system of rivers and lakes. It's not like there are any really organized campsites or anything. If you like to fish, buy a licence; I think that's all the Gendarmes are really interested in.

Park at our place, put your canoe in the water, and go. I pay taxes there; I'll vouch for you.

john