It is currently June 22nd, 2021, 10:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Post it!
PostPosted: August 27th, 2003, 12:51 pm 

Yes, please post a description when you have recovered, I am very curious to read about it. How did you get around the canyon and how long did it take?

Dave

Post subject: Petit Mecatina
PostPosted: November 11th, 2003, 6:55 pm 

Mccloud,
When will your technical log be available on the Petit Mecatina? I am interested in obtaining a copy from you in the very near future. Just to start, what was the duration of your trip and where was your start point. Reply in forum or to my email account boothbeer@aol.com. Look forward to discussing the river in detail. Thanks you

Post subject: Petite mecatina
PostPosted: November 16th, 2003, 10:04 am 
boothbeer, Glad to answer questions. I continue to work on a complete trip report, which will be over 40 typewritten pages, and will include a number of color photos. Completion date??? Who knows, maybe another month or two.

We flew in from Natashquan with Leonard DeReps. It is approx. 2 hrs northeast to a headwaters lake at 52, 45N, 63, 19W.. The ~200 miles from there to the head of the canyon is easy, and took us 13 days., not working hard.

Then begins the portage-fest. The rapids in this canyon are unrunnable except by class 5 kayakers. They are very big and obstructed. You enjoy running the New River gorge, or the Cheat Canyon in boats loaded with camping gear? These are comparable but bigger, longer, higher gradient. In places it is not possible to get by at water level, so you are forced up into the forest. The forest is the most dense, tangled mess I have ever seen. You cannot carry a canoe over head, in the traditional portaging mode. Unless you enjoy pushing a canoe on the ground, through trees 2 feet apart, over downed dead tree trunks, over boulders, then this is not where you want to be. It took us 5 days of exhausting work to bypass 2 or 3 miles of canyon, and even after you leave the canyon section there are ~20 additional portages in the last <100 miles to tidewater. From start to finish we spent 25 days.

Post subject: Petite Mecatina
PostPosted: November 16th, 2003, 5:23 pm 

Tom,
Thanks for your input. I shot an email off to you with some more background. Your upcoming technical log should be very interesting.

PostPosted: February 4th, 2004, 9:32 pm 
There is now a short trip report from my summer 2003 trip on the Petite Mecatina posted under routes, in the central Quebec section. Will be glad to answer additional questions. Tom McCloud

Post subject: Petit Mecatina
PostPosted: February 21st, 2004, 4:57 pm 
Hey Booth...
Did you ever get that trip report I was talking about sending to you? It was pretty basic, but you may want to see it. If I haven't mailed it let me know.

Brad

Post subject: canyon
PostPosted: February 21st, 2004, 5:05 pm 
I read the artcile about the river based on the aerial survey of the river. I find it hard to believe that for fifteen kilometers the river runs through a canyon with walls so steep that they prevent escape. Has anyone actually seen this canyon or has it just always been blindly portaged? It seems that if a group was traveling light that they could find a way to deal with at least some of the pieces of the canyon at water level. This may be a great place for some kayakers to make a first descent...

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 21st, 2004, 6:18 pm 

II know of an Air Canada pilot who as a bush pilot flew many many times very low over this canyon and river before spending 6 weeks solo canoeing it. He's probably the person who knows the most intimately the inside of that canyon. Problem is I can't find his phone number.
If you contact Dave Hadfield, a CCR member, he could help you on this, as Jean Pierre, the pilot, is a close friend of his.

http://www.hadfield.ca/

Gerald G.

Post subject: Mecatina trip report
PostPosted: February 21st, 2004, 8:54 pm 
A short trip report from my summer 2003 trip is on the central Quebec routes section of MYCCR. The article that was printed in CANOE magazine in 1985? is misleading to say the least. The short answer to your question is that the steep walled section of the canyon is not 3 miles long, but that doesn't make it easy. If one probes down the canyon until reaching the steep-walled rapid, the portage goes up at a 45 degree angle into the forest where you have to gain perhaps 500 feet elevation before dropping back down to the river something like a half mile later. Several hundred yards upriver on river right is a small creek that we climbed to the highlands. There gain in elevation there is closer to 300 feet. So it is debatable which route is the easiest. You cannot portage in the traditional boat-over-head way. You drag the boats. The Mecatina is a big water river, with big rapids, and fast water over water-polished granite. We did a lot of portaging over granite boulders along the banks, but in the steep walled canyon there is no apron of boulders. Tom McCloud

Post subject: canyon
PostPosted: February 21st, 2004, 9:24 pm 
Good stuff. Sounds incredible! Thanks for the info.

Post subject: Re: Petite Mecatina
PostPosted: October 22nd, 2005, 4:19 pm 

I NEED INFO ON MECATINA

pls contact me at ultracool_1@hotmail.com

thank you,
vincent

n.b. I do not write more since I have no idea if youll ever read this

well it was too easy anyway!!

Post subject: Go do it!
PostPosted: September 4th, 2006, 9:58 pm 

I say go do it! Where else can you find a place to test yourself like you could here? When you get to the canyon...portage it! You'll finish it...just schedule enough time. Thats the great thing about Canada...its wild...there will be unkown things. I say go for it and let us know what its really all about. There was a thread on here that gave some detailed info last year though. Should be helpful. Just be safe and don't paddle into a canyon that you can't get out of! Be conservative. I have run the Magpie and Moise on the north shore. Both are great, but have serious dangers. Use your head and be safe. NOT rivers for beginners or those not willing to bust their but and deal with some misery. BUT...those miserable expereicnes often provide the best memories and make a trip great. If you go expect hell and be ready to love it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 10th, 2006, 10:28 am 

The Petit-Mecatina River and Romaine River are under studies by Hydro-Québec for electricity project.

http://www.radio-canada.ca/nouvelles/re ... ec_tnl.asp

Post subject: Hydro development
PostPosted: October 10th, 2006, 11:11 am 

From what I can gather the project on the Romaine is basically a sure thing. I have been wanting to paddle that river for a few years now. I had to cancel a trip several years ago for familly reasons. Hopefully I can get back to Quebec sometime before ground is broken. The Romaine is supposed to be amazing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 11th, 2006, 11:09 am 

But according to that article, Petite Mecatina will follow soon after. I translated the article via Altavista's babelfish and here is the result. I guess HQ geologists are running all over Petite Mecatina already. :cry: Very sad...