It is currently November 28th, 2020, 2:22 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 22nd, 2003, 11:30 am 

Another obscure river info request! Looking for any knowledge on these rivers, I have the Quebec guidebook but until I get it translated can only understand bits and pieces - first-hand info is so much preferable anyhow. These rivers eventually flow into Lac St. Jean, for geographic reference.

Thanks!

Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 22nd, 2003, 1:27 pm 

Never heard of them...
I'd be willing to do a bit of translation though. Just contact me by e-mail if you're interested. I'll be glad to learn about these rivers and to help a fellow paddler at the same time!

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 23rd, 2003, 10:07 am 

The du Chef flows into the Ashuapmushuan river before it reaches le Lac St-Jean around St-Félicien. When tripping on the Ashuapmushuan we were on the du Chef for a few km looking for a free camp site outside the park of the same name. The Ashuapmushuan is a classic in canot-camping in Québec. Easy access but still a good feeling of remoteness, challenging runs and well kept portage on all of them, shuttle service etc. Since the du Chef is outside the park the logistics are more complicated and the remoteness feeling less virtual. They are both big volume river.

PostPosted: December 30th, 2010, 4:20 am 

Bump

Anyone know of an outfitter who will shuttle to the Nestaocano River? Preferably road shuttle but also interested in other options?

Thanks!

PostPosted: December 30th, 2010, 11:17 am 

You will find one write-up of the Riviere du Chef, and three write-ups of the Riviere Nestaocano, at
viewtopic.php?f=115&t=35299

A literal mind is a little mind. If it's not worth doing to excess, it's not worth doing at all. Good enough isn't.  None are so blind as those who choose not to see. (AJ)

PostPosted: January 1st, 2011, 9:14 pm 

Since that original post, we've been up to the end of the road there 3 times, including the Nestaocano trip we did in '03. Twice we've self-shuttled, and once we simply took a "taxi" service from the Cree village of Mistassini. That was far and away the best way to go, they charged us about $100, maybe $150 for the 100 km one-way trip with the canoe strapped on their minivan. Piece of cake. Then we rented a car from the end of the trip in the Lac St. Jean area and shuttled our way back up to pick up the car which had been left locked in the police lot (they offered - very nice there!). That road hates our tires though, every time we've been on it we've had a flat - the first time 2 at once. Last year we "flatted" in the parking lot of the new air service near the end of the road; lucky, since we discovered our spare was frozen to the underside of the van and had to be cut out.
So, long story short, try simply calling the taxi service in Mistassini!

Dave

PostPosted: January 2nd, 2011, 1:30 am 

Thanks Dave. That sounds ideal...much cheaper then flying in too!

Another question if you don't mind Dave:

I've looked at a few trip reports with pictures/descriptions and have studied the maps on cartespleinair.org... by the looks of things under normal water conditions there are only a few stretches of class 3 whitewater on the Nest and Du Chef...can these be safely avoided by lining or portaging? By the looks of other trip reports, groups have portaged/lined some if these sections...it would be great to hear your opinion on this?

I'm trying to determine if I can safely avoid the sections involving longer class 3's+...or if it is the sort of thing that pretty well must be run?

Thank you,

Sam

PostPosted: January 2nd, 2011, 11:00 pm 

Sam;
We loved our trip down the Nest./Du Chef/Ash. I read a trip report on here that mentioned there was too much logging...there was a lot of logging but everything else was excellent. We accessed it upriver from the Metawishish like it shows on the map - all upstream rapids easily lineable with one portage that is shown on the map. Across the height of land was a simple 100 meter carry, and we were able to float out of that first pond. That gave us the satisfaction of paddling 100% of the river's length. I only recall 1 mandatory portage on the Nestaocano, but there may have been two - both short. The rapids were fun and fairly safe, although we found a wrecked canoe at the bottom of one rapid. While there was a lot of logging signs, it was wild in that we saw no one until the Ashuap., there were no obvious established campsites, and very few cabins. When we got to the Du Chef, it had rained ALOT, and we had high water the rest of the way. There were some nasty rapids on the Du Chef, but all were easily lineable, sneakable, or portagable.
Once our youngsters are able to pull their weight with a paddle (or we find paddling partners with 2-3 weeks to spare and a lot of patience) we'll be heading back to replicate that trip.

Dave

PostPosted: January 3rd, 2011, 5:29 pm 

Quote:
Last year we "flatted" in the parking lot of the new air service near the end of the road

Do you have any info on this "air service"?

PostPosted: January 3rd, 2011, 6:11 pm 

Thank you so much Dave!

PostPosted: January 3rd, 2011, 9:32 pm 

As I search for the float plane base's name, here is a video of one landing at the site. The plane is approaching from upriver on the Temiscamie River, towards Lac Mistassini. You can see the base at the end of the video; it's on river left just upstream from the bridge, 10k before the end of the road.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7xlpifZx10

PostPosted: January 3rd, 2011, 10:36 pm 

Dave

Thanks! I think I found the info.....

Air Roberval claim to operating from there:

http://www.airroberval.com/contact.html#map

I'm asking because I'm thinking about the Mistissini. I've read your short comment on accessing via the Temiscamie River, not sure I want to go that route given it's a pretty short flight from the float base to Lac a L'Eau Froide.

Do you have any comments on the Mistissini itself?

PostPosted: January 4th, 2011, 8:28 pm 

Yes, Air Roberval it is.

We enjoyed our trip on the Mistassini very much, we ran out of sunscreen on that trip and only pulled out our raingear once. There is a lot of logging along the river after the headwaters, along with several large burns, and (at the time - 2006) a pretty heavily-used logging road along the bank for quite a ways, but we still loved the river. It was very low that summer and the bottom of our canoe proves it, so the nature of the rapids are certainly quite different from a "normal" year. There was a very nice mix of runnable rapids, falls, and long swifts, and very few long stretches of flat. The falls around the 120k mark and the plunge pool beneath (Chutes Blanc, maybe?) were one of the most beautiful spots we've encountered, and the portage around them was an adventure (we couldn't find the traditional portage due to a burn, but we discovered by accident the hiking trail on the other side and used that - we had to lower the canoe down by ropes at the end). Accessing it from the Temiscamie added a lot to the trip - I had no idea the Temiscamie was the way it is - you could stand in one spot and look upriver and see nothing but sand for as far up and down river as you could see, with the river snaking back and forth. Then there were the portages up to Lac Temiscamie, and the day-and-a half drag/pole up the creek to Cold Water Lake. That week certainly made it memorable. Tons of wildlife too, including a caribou.
So if you go for the river and don't mind the logging issues, I'd definitely recommend it.
One note - we ran it all the way to the town at the end (Dolbeau?), there are 13 (I think) falls in the last 20k, all but one required a portage. We enjoyed it, but it is possible to take out above this section if you want to avoid it.

Dave

PostPosted: January 11th, 2011, 5:52 am 

Dave,

I was in touch with aventuraid and they said they can do a shuttle for the Nestaocano up to Clerac Lake. Do you know how high up this lake is...how many km's is it from Clerac Lake to the confluence with the Du Chef?

Thanks!

PostPosted: July 1st, 2016, 5:57 pm 

Contemplating a canoe trip down the Nestaocano this summer (late July). I'm having trouble understanding how and where you access the river from the road (rt. 167?). Could you be more specific? Also, once you put in, how many days to the confluence with the Du Chef? Thanks in advance for your (or anybody else's) input.

Mark