It is currently November 28th, 2020, 2:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: April 18th, 2014, 11:18 am 

Hi out there- this is another request for info...

I've been looking at the quebec routes, but seem to be having a bit of trouble finding what I am looking for. I own the canoe route books for Quebec as well.

So I'd like to take the family (2 young kids+2 adults) on a trip within 3-4 (even 5) hours drive from Quebec city. Looking for

1) 5-7 nights,
2) CI up-to a little CII, or
3) A loop trip in lakes with or without a bit of river travel.

Most of the reports seem to be of longish more difficult trips than I am looking for. Are there decent possibilities east of Saguenay?

Thanks,

Mark

PostPosted: April 18th, 2014, 12:58 pm 

Have you considered Papineau- LaBelle? About an hour or 90 min N of Montreal

http://www.sepaq.com/rf/pal/index.dot#Item28333

PostPosted: April 18th, 2014, 4:55 pm 

La Vérendrye and Mauricie could offer some options to you.

PostPosted: April 19th, 2014, 12:48 am 

Hi- thanks for the responses. I've actually paddled in all 3 of those (La V. PL, and Mauricie). I was hoping to get away from the Montreal crowds a bit...But
thanks for the suggestions. I guess I should have been more specific in
my request. I was thinking east, or north east of Quebec city (Lac St Jean region?).

Thanks again,

Mark

PostPosted: April 19th, 2014, 6:42 am 

if you go south of Quebec two hours to Jackman Maine the Moose River Bow triip awaits you. Its never crowded.

Four hours dead east brings you to another fine river..the Allagash. You can get a shuttle up as far on the river as you would cover in 5-7 days.. its moving and some class 2. Done by families.

PostPosted: April 22nd, 2014, 9:15 am 

There is lot of good canoeing east and north of Québec.

If you are looking for established routes, the SEPAQ web site is a good start. If you feel a little more adventurous you can take profit of the vicinity of Hervey Junction and board the train with the canoe. You can be sure that you will be away from the crowds up there ;-)

PostPosted: August 5th, 2014, 8:23 am 

Well- as things turned out here is what I did:

I paddled the Moose river bow in Maine and the Portneuf river (60km-12km section) on the north shore about an hour hour past Tadoussac. I paddled
the Portneuf because I was meeting someone in the vicinity and planned a
few other outings in the area.

I've spent the majority of my paddling life in the Thunder bay area and the western US so I always compare to that.

The Moose bow has a hint of Canadian shield, and in particular mosquito rips had me thinking of areas of northwestern ontario. Easy paddling, campsite have tables and outhouses small river with a little bit of current. The river had me thinking a bit about the Turtle river which is west of Thunder Bay. BTW- The turtle is a great little trip (beautiful water falls, and some nice rapids to run).

The Portneuf is a much bigger river- crystal clear water. Undeveloped campsites. In fact most camps were on large sand bars which reminded me of many of the large sand bar camps one encounters on the rivers in the western US (Main Salmon or Desolation Canyon for example. BTW-tandemed canoed Deso this spring at 20000 which was a good time and recommended). So the Portneuf- good current and a few tiny rapids. It is a really beautiful Canadian shield river- however quite a bit of development going on. There are probably 20-30 cottages along the way as well as the road that parallels the river for a fair portion of the river. The road isn't such a big deal, but the cottages were getting annoying. A shame for paddlers seeking a wilderness experience. I was with my 2 kids (4 and 8), and they really liked the fantastic beach camps and swimming in the rapids. We were debating to go to the Batiscan (since it was closer), but our rendezvous dictated the North shore.

Well thanks again to those that responded eh.