It is currently November 28th, 2020, 3:38 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: May 13th, 2014, 6:07 pm 

A group of us are planning a trip down the Bazin river in Quebec next week. We expect that the water levels may be high but I would like to find out how high.
Has anyone paddled the Bazin this year yet or does anyone know where I can get the water levels?
thank you!
jim

PostPosted: May 13th, 2014, 7:13 pm 

I'm heading there to start on Friday, judging by the gauges on the Lievre and Gatineau I'm expecting it to be "perfect with a hint of danger not usually experienced during the rest of the season".

Not that it's entirely comparable but I was on the Gatineau last May when the river was at 300+, I was worried but it turned out that I think it may be easier at that level except for one spot where it was "pushy" and had a hard to avoid hole (hard for those who have a lazy ferry).

I've been on the last part of the Bazin from the Nasigon down to the Gat confluence a number of times, there is only one spot I normally line, I'm hoping the big rock on the ledge will be underwater this time, there might even be a channel on the left.

As for the upper river, it's been a very long time since I was there, the only thing I recall of danger is that IV/V, the access to the portage might be tricky.

The high water definitely helps on the Gatineau section, if you are going all the way to Club Gatineau DO NOT MISS the takeout at Serpent Chutes, it might be tempting to peak around the corner but I wouldn't recommend it unless your name is Alan Greve. :rofl:

Rainfall coming up is making it a bit difficult to really make an accurate prediction. The Gatineau gauge is probably the best one to monitor, the Lievre is not quite as reliable because it includes water coming in from reservoirs.

http://www.cehq.gouv.qc.ca/suivihydro/g ... ion=040830

The R2's should be great! :thumbup:

PostPosted: May 13th, 2014, 8:22 pm 

thank you!

PostPosted: June 6th, 2014, 8:32 am 

We are hoping to go from Parent to Rapides Pike (6 nights) or Club Gatineau (7 nights). We were planning to use Marc from Club Gatineau to shuttle us to Parent.

I have studied a map of the route. It looks like lots of good rapids...little portaging and only a few dangerous parts.

We are hoping to do it in leisurely 7 nights (including a night in Parent and a night at the take-out).

Is the scenery nice?

Are there water levels that are too low...if so what are they?

Is our choice of shuttle a good one?

Is our pace leisurely?

Thank you,

Adam