It is currently November 28th, 2020, 3:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: December 25th, 2014, 12:29 pm 

Hi all,

Has anyone done the Coulonge+Noire rivers with the crossover via Bryson before? I'm looking for aproximate timelines and whether it was worth it in terms of getting the best of both rivers with a little adventure in between.

From what I've read, the preferred path is to do the Coulonge to the crossover and finish the lower half of the Noire?

Also, does anyone have any info on the road conditions for either of the rivers? Last year we hired a shuttle for the Dumoine due to lots of advice to not use our own vehicle and it was advice well appreciated. Are the others as bad, or can they be done in a small SUV or crossover with a trailer?

Any help/advice is appreciated.

PostPosted: January 6th, 2015, 7:15 pm 

My wife and I made that crossing back in 2007, and it was very enjoyable and straight-forward. We saw a bear cub up a tree on the up creek from the Coulonge, then the easy portage around the rapids and dam into Bryson. Bryson was a nice lake (great jumping rock on the left halfway down across from some cabins, a rope is there to assist your climb), we found the long portage across the height-of-land in the place we expected. The initial part was recently cleared and flagged, although it twisted like a hiking trail. Then you hit an old road, go right for a hundred meters or so, then left for 1k or so. Luckily the trail off the longer part was flagged and obvious, we scouted the portage after a while because we expected it to go into the first pond after Bryson. It didn't, it goes into the second. From there it was very basic and straightforward - I remember one super-clear lake. We also put in at Bryson a few years later and paddled down the Coulonge - we enjoyed both very much and can't say one is certainly preferrable over another. We did enjoy the camping and playing at 50/50 on the Noire, while there was an equally nice spot (but no playing) in a forgot-the-name rapid/falls on the Coulonge. We accessed Bryson for the Coulonge using Michael, and accessed the Coulonge through La Verendrye (that extended the trip, and allowed us to start at the absolute headwaters. We were able to park at the headquarters - Le Domaine - and access the tip-top through a set of obsolete portages, although you can get slightly lower down on the creek Colounge from Le Domaine via existing portages too.

PostPosted: January 7th, 2015, 9:44 pm 

Hi McThiel,

I completed the Coulonge +Noire crossover via Lake Bryson in 2012. I wasn't able to find very much info on the route when I was doing research, so i decide to document the route myself. The sequence of lakes are very beautiful with very little signs of humans. Outfitters hold exclusive fishing rights on the majority of these lakes so be careful if you plan on dropping a line. With the help of cartespleinair.org(Charles Leduc), We were able to create a Pdf of the cross over route. Unfortunately, I don't know how to add a pdf file to this message so you can find it on cartesplaeinair.org under the CANOT heading in the Outaouais section and the PDF is called Liaison Coulonge – Noire

I hope this helps

Cheers,

Nick

PostPosted: January 8th, 2015, 7:48 am 

Hi, my wife and I did the Verendyre (Lac Barrage)->Coulonge->Noire route route last summer and the crossover via Bryson, Brassant, Lynch, Forant was the highlight. The water was high last summer so the upstream wade to Bryson was a bit of work but worth it.

I just want to say thank to Nick, the Liason Coulonge-Noire PDF was helpful.

http://192.77.51.51/~cleduc/Canot/04/LiaisonCoulongeNoireDantono2014.pdf

PostPosted: January 8th, 2015, 2:11 pm 

Excellent annotated maps.

PostPosted: January 14th, 2015, 3:31 pm 

Thanks for this information! You have me dreaming of paddling the Coulonge again and now I have added Bryson Lake to my list. My late grandpa Ken Bryson used to describe growing up in Ft. Coulonge and I've always wanted to visit the Ottawa valley and Quebec to see where that side of my family is from, and take a tour through Bryson House. George Bryson Sr. is my great great grandfather (not 100% sure if there should be 2 or 3 greats). I have no connection to the Brysons since my Grandpa Ken was pretty much cut off from the family when he married my grandmother, a french catholic with some native mixed in.
Cheers,
Bryan

PostPosted: February 11th, 2015, 12:35 pm 

Thanks for all the feedback. Planning is coming along, but we're still looking for information on the roads.

Are they maintained well enough to be drivable in a 4WD station wagon with a trailer on the back? The trip will happen early to mid July, so by that point washout should be taken care of (if they're going to take care of it). We're starting up at Lac Pomponne (JUST south of La Verendrye), and Google maps shows multiple road options for getting there, so I'm wondering if anyone has suggestions or experiences they'd like to share.

Any help is appreciated.

PostPosted: February 11th, 2015, 2:10 pm 

mcthiel wrote:
still looking for information on the roads.

Are they maintained well enough to be drivable in a 4WD station wagon with a trailer on the back? The trip will happen early to mid July, so by that point washout should be taken care of (if they're going to take care of it). We're starting up at Lac Pomponne (JUST south of La Verendrye), and Google maps shows multiple road options for getting there, so I'm wondering if anyone has suggestions or experiences they'd like to share.

Any help is appreciated.

I drove in to Lac Pomponne in 2002, if you haven't seen them yet you can find a couple of pics showing the road conditions on April 30th at the links below.

When we went back 2 weeks later the road had been fixed. There is a lot (relative) of traffic coming and going in that area so I expect that any really serious road issue would be well taken care of by July. Other than the washouts the roads are generally pretty good unless it's been extremely rainy.

http://www.myccr.com/phpbbforum/viewtop ... ge#p109071
http://www.myccr.com/phpbbforum/viewtop ... ge#p109197

PostPosted: February 12th, 2015, 9:46 am 

Darl-h wrote:
Hi, my wife and I did the Verendyre (Lac Barrage)->Coulonge->Noire route route last summer and the crossover via Bryson, Brassant, Lynch, Forant was the highlight. The water was high last summer so the upstream wade to Bryson was a bit of work but worth it.

I just want to say thank to Nick, the Liason Coulonge-Noire PDF was helpful.

http://192.77.51.51/~cleduc/Canot/04/LiaisonCoulongeNoireDantono2014.pdf

The linked map/guide says to get in touch with the outfitter in charge of Bryson...any need for this, or is it more of a warning in case people on the trip are fishing?