It is currently November 28th, 2020, 3:39 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: June 19th, 2015, 10:54 am 

Can anyone tell me what the current is like on the Harricana from the confluence of the Turgeon upriver about 10km on the Harricana? I've looked at the maps on cartespleinair.org and the small access description but my translation may not be too good. I believe the map says that the travel upstream on this section of the Harricana is not a problem. I would really like to verify this though!

Another question: What is that road like on the Harricana that stops 10km upstream from the Turgeon? Is it visible from the river? Is the road good enough for a truck to pass through?

Any information would be very much appreciated!

Unfortunately the above trip report link no longer works.

Sam

Post subject: Re: Turgeon river
PostPosted: June 19th, 2015, 1:33 pm 

Sam, I was there 15 years ago so my memory is a bit foggy but I don't recall any strong current or rapids in this stretch of the Harricana. While I wouldn't consider it enjoyable, it should be possible to travel upstream on this stretch in lower water conditions. At the time, the road to the last bridge crossing was fine.

PostPosted: June 19th, 2015, 2:20 pm 
CCR Assistant Administrator

Sam, I've created a new thread for your requests for information. The old thread was of no value to anyone.

If you want to change the name of thread, please do.

Barbara

PostPosted: June 19th, 2015, 3:13 pm 

Doug, do you remember how hard it would be to go upstream on those few rapids below that bridge?

Thank you Barbara...too bad about that link...it was an ok trip report.

PostPosted: June 21st, 2015, 1:45 pm 

Bump for any additional information on the stretch of Harricana between the Turgeon upstream to the last bridge. Anything at all would be helpful. I have read all of the relevant threads on the forum and I'm just looking for extra tid bits lol.

From what I've gathered. This stretch is about 20km long. There are two note worthy rapids to bypass. It should be ok to paddle upstream against the current.

For reference I have paddled up the Moose River to Moosonee against the tide the whole way...about 20km and that was NOT fun at all averaging 1-2km/hr sometimes getting close to 3km/hr when paddling my hardest. I'm wondering if this section of the Harricana would be the same or worse and if I need to leave 3-4 days just for that stretch!

And yes I know I ask a lot of questions but I'd rather do that and have the most knowledge/idea of what I'm getting myself into then not. ;)

Sam

PostPosted: June 21st, 2015, 1:57 pm 

I managed to dig up another question. Does anybody have a contact they use for the Harricana shuttle? Terry aka Johnny Bait is unable to do it.

Sam

PostPosted: June 22nd, 2015, 9:44 am 

Hi Sam, I've used the city of Matagami, QC for a shuttle. They run an eco-tourism outfitter through the town - we used them back in 2007 and at the time they had a good vehicle and canoe trailer.
http://www.matagami.com/#
I'd call the city, hopefully they have someone bilingual who can direct you to right person.
Good luck,
Mark

PostPosted: June 22nd, 2015, 10:12 am 

Hello Mark,

Thank you!!

I just called them and although the language barrier was evident on the phone they are trying to figure something out for me.

I did find another outfitter in the area who does shuttles but they were completely booked for the next two weeks. They are called Tour Harricana Quebec...simple right lol...

PostPosted: June 22nd, 2015, 10:28 am 

The outfitter I mention above, Tour Harricana Quebec can be emailed at:

info@thq.voyage

I have not used their services yet so cannot comment on that however they responded to my message on their Facebook site almost immediately and then responded again to my more formal email to the above address within the hour. Also they speak English so communication is not an issue whatsoever.