It is currently November 28th, 2020, 2:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: June 29th, 2015, 8:36 am 
CCR Moderator & Assistant Administrator

My wife and I are looking for something as remote as possible for a 6-8 day trip in early August. We don't mind a long drive on rough roads to get to the put-in.

We especially want to avoid being in a sector where logging is taking place.

I have sent a similar inquiry to the Park itself but would be interested in hearing from the membership here as well.

PostPosted: June 29th, 2015, 9:56 am 

Is early August after the Construction Holiday? ( tangent I just read in Bridge Magazine of the new Champlain Bridge that will further foul Montreal traffic )

All the loops generally run past at least one Sepaq campground but I never found that to be bothersome.

I especially liked starting at Grand Barrage, down Grand Lac, over to Nichcotea and Desty and D'Arcy, Giroux, Strobile, Ruisseau Carriere, Lac Carriere, Camitigama, Cawatose, Whiskey, Reservoir Dozois, Riviere Camatose, Lac Camatose, Canamini and Lac Au Barrage.

Varied scenery and nice campsites. But you will see some fishing motorboat traffic on some of the lakes

PostPosted: June 29th, 2015, 10:16 am 

We will be in La Vérendrye the week after the construction holiday. During our first week (week 2 of the construction holiday) we will be on Lac Kempt.

LRC, is that loop of yours of your own devising or is it one they specifically recommend on their site?

PostPosted: June 29th, 2015, 11:14 am 

I think its a combo of 33 35 and 37.. I got a topo map at Le Domaine. Its not an arduous route and well marked. At le Domaine there is a map table where I was able to add campsites to the topo map I bought copying off their master copy.

I got the idea from Gerald. It looks like Circuit Maps 2 and 3 will do you. There wasnt a circuit map when I did it. So now you should be good to go as the Circuit maps have the campsites marked.

PostPosted: June 30th, 2015, 11:20 pm 

I'd recommend the Hawksbury route (off the top of my head, not sure if that is the correct spelling, or what route # it is...). It is in the north west part of the park - the only lake with much boat traffic is Lake Victoria, where you may or may not put in/take out. There are many options to extend this route, or run it somewhat differently. There are decent-sized portages, but they are flat and not too boggy. I did this with a group of teens last summer, our fears of the multiple portages in the middle of the loop were not realized (they do exist, but are not at all difficult). I've done every loop in LV, mostly multiple times (except the Gen de Terre), I'd say this is the most remote-feeling, although sections of the Chochocouane in the upper east part, if you do the loop, are pretty out there.

PostPosted: July 1st, 2015, 1:08 am 

In August 2013 I spent 6 days on Lake Victoria, once I was more than 5km from the put-in, at a very crowded campground with plenty of motorboats, I did not see or hear anyone the entire time.

PostPosted: July 1st, 2015, 9:46 am 

I'd be careful of Lac Victoria.. I too have done most all of the routes save Chochocouane.

I saw no one on that loop at the put in.. There was high water and it was June. The 1545 to Hawkesbury is in blueberry fields.
TR here (not mine)
Grand Lac Victoria when I finished the loop was full. It was discouraging to pass so many sites taken by motorboat campers who seemed to circumvent the rules by bringing a token canoe.
Yes it was a weekend. Yes I did find a site. A very large empty site that was a paradox as I thought for sure it would be taken. That part of the journey was not remote.

I did the loop in the link in reverse order. Going uphill on that esker 965 m as written is a herculean effort. I went downhill with gear

PostPosted: July 1st, 2015, 12:30 pm 

Thanks folks. This is very helpful.

PostPosted: July 14th, 2015, 4:02 pm 

I've just started looking at La Vérendrye for a 7-10 day trip starting ASAP. I've never paddled there, but I've intended to for a few years now. LRC, the route you mentioned in this thread looks good. Would it be safe to say that La Vé will be far less crowded than Temagami/Lady Evelyn late July/early Aug? I'll either be solo or with my teenaged son, and the thought of crowded portages and competing for campsites doesn't sit well. The drive from London, Ont. is only slightly longer for Le Domaine than it is for Temagami Central Lake Access Point. Ottawa is always a good visit, too. Any thoughts?

PostPosted: July 14th, 2015, 4:33 pm 

Not the last week of July early August first week. The province goes on vacation. It seems no one is at work. You no doubt will find less peopled places but with everyone with time off...

PostPosted: July 14th, 2015, 5:38 pm 

In our case, we'll be doing circuit 77. No logging in the area. Construction holiday will be over. (We'll be on Lac Kempt during the 2nd week of it)

PostPosted: July 14th, 2015, 9:28 pm 

LRC, Thanks for the heads-up about the "construction holiday". Oddly enough, I wasn't aware of this basic piece of info. It was referred to earlier in this thread, and I believed it was some kind of canoeist's in-joke that I just didn't get. :) Now I'm looking at Lake Superior threads for some ideas. Maybe La Vé can wait.

PostPosted: July 15th, 2015, 8:44 pm 

I have done many trips in LaVerendrye in early August and very rarely see other canoes.
2 years ago, I started my trip on 7/30 and spent 8 days where I saw two parties, 3 canoes from a kids camp and a solo canoe, maybe I saw 3-4 fishing boats trolling in the distance.
My route was Circuit 70 with a side trip south into Lac Cowacasachouane down thru Chute Henault (a nice place to visit) and then back north to Circuit 70. It's a very nice route and I doubt you would see many other canoes during early August, I never do.
Maybe close to Le Domaine there are more canoes then, but up around 70/77 I doubt you will see many.
Here is my trip report from last trip, LaVerendrye is a great tripping destination imo.
http://www.myccr.com/phpbbforum/viewtop ... 16&t=42226

PostPosted: July 16th, 2015, 2:10 pm 

Thanks, Robin, for your encouragement. I re-visited your trip report, and remembered I had seen it last year and had commented to you then. I'll come back to this thread when I decide where I'm going. At the La Vé web site I did get an unpleasant reminder of what a week's fishing will cost for a non-resident, i.e. Quebec fishing licence + La Vé permit= $150+. I'm not disputing the validity of the fees, but they are, frankly, something of a disincentive, especially as fishing isn't the main purpose of the trip, but is something of an addition. And there's no way I could imagine tripping through that region without wetting lines. :( BTW, thanks Hiker Neil, for beginning this thread.)
Martin

PostPosted: July 16th, 2015, 5:31 pm 

I did the same trip as Robin and did meet people.. Not many but there is a Sepaq campground and they were all out..

Not all years are the same. Its a crapshoot. But people don't bother me. I live in an area of few folks so "getting away" isn't a priority.