It is currently November 28th, 2020, 2:46 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: July 16th, 2015, 8:06 pm 

I agree the fishing costs at LaVerendrye are unfair. A canoe tripper pays the same $14.00 plus daily fee as motor boat fisherman plus whatever license fees are applicable. How many canoe trippers keep their daily limit, if your trying to make miles and trolling a lure your lucky to snag a pike or a small pickerel. The motor boat folks drift over proven spots continuously and keep their catch in a fish well or cooler, always a limit catch.
I think it's political, the motor boat crowd probably has more clout than a handful of canoe trippers.

Me, I just buy a 3 day non resident license and a matching 3 day LaVerendrye fishing permit. I quit trolling all day like I used to and just fish evenings for a meal or for fun, but I sometimes get confused as to the dates I'm fishing and the dates of my permits :doh:

I also doubt you will see many folks up around 70/77 in early August, save a boat or two, Sepaq campsites don't really have much to do with canoe routes, Sepaq campsites contain fisherman and campers and August is not a big fishing time.

PostPosted: July 28th, 2015, 6:14 am 

Update on La Vé: my window got smaller, so I opted for tried-and-true Georgian Bay out of Byng Inlet. Wonderful place. I'm still looking at la Vé for later in August, maybe with family at that time, rather than solo.

PostPosted: July 29th, 2015, 7:04 am 

I recommend not fully committing to a particular route in La Vérendrye until arriving & talking with the staff. That is when you can get the most up to date information about routes, including any adverse conditions recently reported (logging, blowdowns, etc.). La V. is so big and there are so few paddlers that this is a luxury worth taking advantage of. (Before you set out you can then phone, text, email, whatever your emergency contact person with your planned route). Another marvelous aspect of La V. vs. Ontario parks is not having to commit to a particular lake on a particular night; register for your route & expected # of nights out, and proceed at the pace that suits your mood, energy level, and the weather (though you are expected to change campsites every night).

Most of the world's political, social, and environmental problems have the same root cause: human overpopulation. By 2050 or so, the world population is expected to reach nine billion.

PostPosted: July 29th, 2015, 11:47 am 

"(though you are expected to change campsites every night)." and I might add you must share your site. Sites are marked for number of tents. If you are on a two tent pad with just one tent then in theory you must share your site.

Steve what has been your experience with that aspect? I've never experienced it so far.

MikeD

PostPosted: July 29th, 2015, 4:14 pm 

MikeD wrote:
Steve what has been your experience with that aspect?

I've never experienced it. If it ever happened it would be due to real safety need, so I don't have a problem with it. Usually I see about a total of about 1 canoe (or less) for every 3 days paddling. So it's always been just a theoretically useful rule. They do impose a limit, if needed, on the number of groups per day setting off on a circuit.

-S

Most of the world's political, social, and environmental problems have the same root cause: human overpopulation. By 2050 or so, the world population is expected to reach nine billion.

PostPosted: July 29th, 2015, 6:00 pm 

Nor I except on Grand Lac Victoria where every site till near the access was taken by motorboats. They probably got around the rule that canoe camping sites are for canoeists by throwing canoes on their motorboats.

PostPosted: August 11th, 2015, 12:19 pm 

Quote:
I especially liked starting at Grand Barrage, down Grand Lac, over to Nichcotea and Desty and D'Arcy, Giroux, Strobile, Ruisseau Carriere, Lac Carriere, Camitigama, Cawatose, Whiskey, Reservoir Dozois, Riviere Camatose, Lac Camatose, Canamini and Lac Au Barrage.

I think that is the section now closed due to logging, maybe it was route 35 not sure. Probably one of the best routes.

There is an 6-8 day route, think it's circuit 16??. The website canot-camping has all the routes listed on it and you can drop by the shop in La Domaine to ask about avoiding logging, etc.
http://www.canot-camping.ca/index.asp?id=682

Last edited by Dr1Gonzo on August 11th, 2015, 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: August 11th, 2015, 12:31 pm 

Robin wrote:
I agree the fishing costs at LaVerendrye are unfair. A canoe tripper pays the same $14.00 plus daily fee as motor boat fisherman plus whatever license fees are applicable. How many canoe trippers keep their daily limit, if your trying to make miles and trolling a lure your lucky to snag a pike or a small pickerel. The motor boat folks drift over proven spots continuously and keep their catch in a fish well or cooler, always a limit catch.
I think it's political, the motor boat crowd probably has more clout than a handful of canoe trippers.

Me, I just buy a 3 day non resident license and a matching 3 day LaVerendrye fishing permit. I quit trolling all day like I used to and just fish evenings for a meal or for fun, but I sometimes get confused as to the dates I'm fishing and the dates of my permits :doh:

I also doubt you will see many folks up around 70/77 in early August, save a boat or two, Sepaq campsites don't really have much to do with canoe routes, Sepaq campsites contain fisherman and campers and August is not a big fishing time.

You're fishing to survive, no need for a permit ;)

Apparently last year there were some hunting arguments going on.
They openend up the site for canoeing in September, when it used to be closed at the request of the hunters.
Apparently, what happened one year is some canoeists ventured into a region they weren't supposed to with a car *(apparently there is no alternative route to the launching point). The hunters complained to SEPAQ and got all their hunting money back even though they had just shot an animal. So SEPAQ closed the routes down again meaning they have to shut before hunting season every year again. Money talks in those circles as apparently the hunting licences are very expensive and more about generating money.

There are also constant arguments between the fishing guides and the canoe camping sites as the guides use all the canoe grounds just to gut their fish, taking down the camp signs etc.
Seems to be a political thing between the peace lovers and those that want to shoot animals.

PostPosted: August 16th, 2015, 1:08 pm 

Just did Circuit 16 in 5.5 days. Saw no other canoes except on the first and last days (Lac Jean-Péré, and Lac Poulter). Great trip with 5 people - 3 solo boats and a tandem... and my dog, of course. La V is open until Sept. 13th this year & I may try to get there again.

PostPosted: August 17th, 2015, 5:30 am 

Hi Steve,
Did you see many fishermen on the larger lakes?
GG

email: geraldguay@hotmail.com

PostPosted: August 17th, 2015, 8:03 am 

Hi Gerald. Often a boat in the distance. And on the second night, on Lac Byrd, a fisherman stopped by at dusk with an offer of free fish, which was kind of him, but we had already eaten. -S