It is currently November 28th, 2020, 3:16 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Dumoine-Lac Dix Milles
PostPosted: August 2nd, 2015, 4:45 pm 

I've been considering a La Vérendrye trip this month, but am leaning towards a slow n' easy trip down the Dumoine starting in Lac Dix Milles or lac Sept Milles. Sept Milles makes the trip a day longer. I've paddled the Dumoine several times, but never from Lac Dix Milles to Dumoine R. via the Rivière du Nord. Shuttle rates are the same for the two starting points. Noel Leclerc of "Expéditions de la rivière dumoine" says canoe traffic and business have been slow this summer. I hope water levels are good enough to bump and grind our way down. One detail sticks in my mind, however: Cheryl wrote something in a thread a few years ago advising paddlers to avoid the descent of the Rivière du nord into Brulart. Anyone know why? Cheryl?

PostPosted: August 4th, 2015, 12:12 pm 

From my Trip Log regarding this Riviere du Nord.
'Although we were aiming for a 9 a.m. put-in, we were on the water by 9:39 a.m. It was a beautiful sunny day. Cheryl’s eyes had swollen shut overnight due to bug bites (as usual). A teabag under a bandana helped. When we arrived at the lodge at the NE end of the Lac Dix Mille they very kindly supplied us with a bag of ice cubes – some for Cheryl’s eyes and some for our water bottles. The hunt and fish lodge came supplied with a hot sauna, exceptional cuisine and a lovely new Pacific Log main lodge for $95 CAN per night, including taxes. You could drive up to Lac Dix Milles, then paddle it with the lodge shuttling you up, or taking your gear. For $60 the lodge owner would shuttle the canoes across from the north end of the lake to Lac Dumoine. It was a 1-mile portage, with Lac Belle to paddle across and a large pond in the middle. This portage would be all along a logging road. The portage we were looking for to Riviere du Norde was under a bridge and across a pond on RR, avoiding a dam and hydro turbine. 200 m and easy if overgrown. The Lodge said not many do down R. du Norde- maybe 5 in the past few years? (***see note below). Trails showed that it was little traveled. Awkward put in, and had to line or drag to RL.

River was higher than usual. Next two rapids were washed out. The second falls was 1 small runnable swift to a small pool, and then a ledge. H. and D. ran left and slid down the ledge on the second try to line up. B. lined with H.’s “help”. It took 1 hour to finish up (1:05 pm). We had trouble finding the 3rd portage. The map showed it right across from the last one. It turned out it was around the bend at the pond and right at the edge of the falls. The portage was on RL, and much easier than on RR. RR had D.and Bob draggied over a tree 3’ up off the river, a 15’ falls with a small upper ledge and then a big drop. We lashed boats together and then lunched in the pool below while swatting millions mosquitoes. This river was very swampy, and if you stepped out, in most spots it was pure black muck. Brush right up to the shore. In low water it could (as the lodge owner suggested) be a nightmare). I guess this is why not many take this route.

The river below this falls was not wide, but the channel was deep and the water level fairly high (according to the people at the lodge). Lower water would have been problematic as there were logs and trees down. The banks were steep, there were sections of clearcut and two rapids appeared which were not on the map. Both were runnable, but bumpy. The last 2 rapids were close together and hard to see. The river made a right hand turn, almost 180 degrees. Tight, but clearly run. Off the river at 3:45 to Lac Brulet. H..and D.. were disappointed. This was really just a creek with pool and drop, and no real rapids of any length."

This was from 2003, so things may have changed.....?

PostPosted: August 4th, 2015, 12:48 pm 

I can't speak to the Riviere du Nord, however you should be fine with the low levels on the Dumoine. I've run from it from as high as 130 to as low as 14 which it is currently approaching. Even at 14 you can find your way down the rapids.

PostPosted: August 5th, 2015, 1:07 pm 

Thanks, Cheryl, for filling me in on Rivière du Nord. It doesn't sound like a great start to a Dumoine trip. I phoned the lodge owner on Dix Milles, and he recommended having Noel Leclerc drop us off "at the falls on Rivière du Nord". I'm uneasy about the lack of canoe traffic between Dix Milles and Brulart, especially when the Dumoine tends to be a canoe highway during the summer months. When no one uses a route, there are usually good reasons!
Thanks, Doug, for your input re: water levels. My past trips down the river have always been mid to late summer runs. Bumpy, but do-able. This will be my teenage son's first Dumoine trip.

PostPosted: August 28th, 2015, 3:27 pm 

Follow-up: We arrived home yesterday fro our trip down the Dumoine. Noel Leclerc of Expéditions de la Rivière Dumoine drove us in to a Beach site on Lac Dix Miles: a beautiful lake. The road in was very rough for the last 30 km or so. I was happy with Leclerc's service and would recommend him. The rivière du nord route was fine, quite pretty really. The portages were fairly rough at the top, but doable. The Dumoine was beautiful as always, and traffic was sparse. Two small parties in 11 days. Yes, we crawled along, exploring and enjoying the river as never before. Thank you, Cheryl, Robin, and all others for your advice re: La Vérendrye and the Dumoine for this summer trip with my teenaged son. We both had a fantastic time.