It is currently September 21st, 2020, 8:05 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 28th, 2001, 8:05 am 

Planning a 3 day trip to La Verendrye long weekend in Sept and considering route 34 - Larouche. Anyone travelled this route? Suggest good campsites, sites to avoid, obstacles, low water sections. Any info would be appreciated.

Cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 29th, 2001, 6:37 pm 

Tracey:
I paddled Portage-Larouche #34 on the July 1st long weekend this year. Perhaps you remember that Canada Day! It was freezing cold with very high winds. And that was in Ottawa, so imagine what it was like 200kms further north and higher up! And I made the mistake of choosing a campsite on the windward shore of Lac Nizard (#52). Needless to say, we had quite a challenging trip.
But I'm sure you will get better weather. It's a lovely route. No problems or obstacles to worry about. It really is best done clockwise, because then you will enjoy paddling downstream along the very winding Ruisseau Moran. The park staff recommend you not park along the Highway. We parked at the campsite on Lac du Portage just at the exit of the portage connecting Lac Barrage and Lac du Portage. It was fine. 03 and 52 were good campsites, but avoid the latter if it's windy. Also avoid 47, as it's very claustrophobia-inducing.
Have fun.
NickR

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: NickR on 2001-08-29 19:45 ]</font>

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 30th, 2001, 9:33 am 

Thanks Nick,

I clearly remember the July long weekend. A group of us were in Killarney doing the Grace, Nellie, Murray lakes loop and with the fierce winds we could only explore a small portion of Nellie Lake which was to be the highlight of the trip...apparently you can see to a depth of over 30 meters.

I will keep your advice in mind this weekend...especially the campsite suggestions.

Tracey

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 30th, 2001, 2:15 pm 

Hi, Tracey.
Can you post your report here when you get back? We are going to paddle Chochocuane River in la Verendrye the first week of September too. I was considering some lake routes there and would like to have more info and your personal impression.
I wiLL post mine too.
Thanks.
Alex