It is currently March 19th, 2024, 3:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: February 24th, 2018, 1:14 pm 

I was bored and happen to love making google maps so I started a map of La Verendrye

Right now it only has circuits 10, 11 and 15 but I went over and picked up a few more maps to poke away at some more of it. I'll post in this thread when there are significant updates.

I am doing a double check but I think I have all the sites marked. Green sites are reservable. The distance markers I put on there are what made sense to me and are not the same as the official map. If you find it too busy and just want to check distances just turn off different layers.

I still have not thought of a good way to denote the campsites that are designated beaches. I am thinking of maybe the google maps icon for the guy swimming, but the problem with that is I also know some good swimming spots that are not campsites and I'd like to mark them. I can't pick a different colour because green already denotes reservable and there are reservable sites with beaches. I could put down a 2nd marker but then it will get too busy.

I am debating separating the campsites and portages for each circuit into its own layer.

I have a lot of the features marked like rapids and beaver dams, but I have to go back and make another pass to make sure I get them all. I know there are some missing.

http://www.prospector16.com/p/la-verendrye-map.html

Last edited by Prospector16 on February 25th, 2018, 11:33 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: February 24th, 2018, 6:01 pm 

I got Circuit 16 added.

Note to self : never do circuit 16. Too many portages :-)

PostPosted: February 24th, 2018, 8:51 pm 

16 is incredible. My second favorite

PostPosted: February 24th, 2018, 9:54 pm 

OK good maybe you can answer a question for me that was not evident from the map. In the area I show in this link the map shows a whole bunch of little portages so I basically combined them all into one big portage of 550m. Can you tell me a bit more about this area? Do you really have to get in and out of the canoe I think it is 4 times in that little stretch? Or is it possible to just one big portage?

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit? ... 77933&z=15

PostPosted: February 25th, 2018, 7:44 am 

Yes, you are in and out of the canoe many times going up or down Ruisseau Kondiaronk. At one time, back in the 70's and early 80's, this creek was part of the original Circuit F which was one of the only 3 circuits available then. The other 2 being Rivière Chochocouane and Rivière Capitachouane. The LV maintenance crew were very active on Circuit F and kept the creek clear of fallen trees and debris coming downstream from Lac Kondiaronk. Therefore there were less portages and more lining done in those days.

GG

email: geraldguay@hotmail.com

PostPosted: February 25th, 2018, 9:05 am 

Well I just discovered I cannot really do a different layer for each circuit because there is a limit of 10 layers per map. I had added Circuit 16 as new layers but now I'll have to go through and move all that stuff to the other layers. Dangit!

Thanks for the feedback on that spot. I put a note in my map noting that it is actually a series of shorter portages that is difficult to pinpoint from the paper map.

PostPosted: February 25th, 2018, 9:55 am 

OK I was able to correct that spot on my map and put in the multiple portages. It was just my old man eyes preventing me from seeing the detail on the paper map. I took a picture of that section and put it on my computer screen in which case I was able to discern the detail to get it correct on my map.

PostPosted: February 25th, 2018, 10:23 am 

If you bookmarked my map note that I changed its location and edited my original post in this thread with the new location.

The other map will still work but is my rough draft / working copy. I registered a new blog name and domain name "Prospector 16" and that's where the official map will live now.

http://www.prospector16.com/p/la-verendrye-map.html

PostPosted: February 25th, 2018, 2:09 pm 

Circuit 30 has been added. I've also added some Sepaq locations since there were a number of them on that map. Now going back to map 1 to see if there are any more that need to be added.

PostPosted: February 25th, 2018, 4:08 pm 

Circuit 33 added

PostPosted: February 25th, 2018, 4:37 pm 

Circuit 34 question for folks.

In this view here with Lac Duman in the center-right, the map is not clear. On google satellite view the river on the left of Lac Duman looks like it is navigable, but the river on the right does not. But the map does not list either as a portage. The map suggests you can paddle right over to Lac Mitchell.

Can someone fill me in?

PostPosted: February 25th, 2018, 5:47 pm 

Circuit 34 is added but there are still some outstanding questions in the area mentioned above if anyone can help me with that.

PostPosted: February 25th, 2018, 7:48 pm 

That section is navigable. Super little winding swamp brook with a couple beaver dams, one of my favorite spots. There is a portage there, but why anyone would use it is beyond me.

PostPosted: February 25th, 2018, 8:57 pm 

Thanks for the info on 34

Circuit 35 is added.

PostPosted: February 26th, 2018, 8:39 pm 

Circuit 37 added