It is currently November 15th, 2019, 4:38 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: January 13th, 2018, 3:24 pm 

Anyone have experience with this one?

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit? ... tOzM3asTNE

Map says to do it counter clockwise which would have us paddling north up Jean Pere on days 1 and 2. I remember very well in 2015 when doing 10+11 coming the other way down Jean Pere with the wind in our backs and almost not even having to paddle. Is that typical for Jean Pere? Wind from the north?

If we went counter-clockwise are there any other obstacles to be wary of? The northern section going east-west looks like a river and I'm wonder whether it is a heavy flow in one direction or the other.

Any other recommended routes for Scouts? This year I am lobbying for either 15 or the same 10+11 that we did in 2015.

PostPosted: January 14th, 2018, 9:14 am 

Riviere Des Rapides

Its got Class 1 and 2 and 1 class 3 Map indicates flow west to east. However there are portages around them

Suggested to run circuit 15 clockwise

PostPosted: January 14th, 2018, 9:29 am 

Huh how did I misread that?

And of course now I can't find my damned map ...

PostPosted: January 14th, 2018, 10:33 am 

Prospector16 wrote:
Huh how did I misread that?

And of course now I can't find my damned map ...

:rofl:

I don't think its in my map collection. Never fear you will remember at three am where it is.

PostPosted: January 14th, 2018, 10:52 am 

OK I found my map and see my source of confusion. I was looking specifically at Lac Jean Pere and it clearly has an arrow pointing northward. But if I look at Circuit 15 itself, it does indeed recommend clockwise.

Have you done this route? I'm curious to hear your opinion of it.

PostPosted: January 14th, 2018, 11:08 am 

Hi Prospector16,

I have done this route at least 5 or 6 times over the years. It's a beautiful route with many beaches to relax on and swim. Now a days, I try to avoid starting at Jean-Pere in order to avoid other campers and fisherman with motor boats. Also, the majority of the camp sites are extremely over used and dirty from the abundance of campers taking advantage of the easy access. I would recommend travelling further North on highway 117 and doing any circuit off of logging road 28. Its only 50 km away from Le Domaine and offers much better camp sites and remoteness. Regardless of what circuit you choose to do, La Verendrye is absolutely beautiful and worth visiting. Fishing is also great but extremely expensive

Hope this helps you out. Let me know if you have any other questions. I know the park extremely well

PostPosted: January 14th, 2018, 12:22 pm 

Yes I've done circuit 30 as well which has logging road 28 go right through it. But did not notice a huge difference. One difference I did note was the swimming was better in 10+11. There were a few sandy beaches on 30 but only one spot with a good swimming hole - I'm not much of a beach guy I prefer a massive piece of granite to jump off into extremely deep water.

Here is my map of 30 for those wondering

https://www.google.ca/maps/@47.1818503, ... NlH2hLKM2Q

PostPosted: January 14th, 2018, 12:27 pm 

Oh one reason for wanting to leave from Le Domaine is that it allows for more paddling and less driving. So it is a bit of a trade off. Our Scouts trips are limited to 5 days, 4 nights and even going 50km further away makes a big difference in the time you have to paddle. One reason I can easily sell La Verendrye over Algonquin to other Scout leaders is that it is actually a bit closer. But once you add 50km you are break even and then Algonquin becomes more attractive just because of the name. From what I see routes in Algonquin generally speaking have far longer portages than routes in La Verendrye - that's a big factor when you have a lot of early teens.

PostPosted: January 14th, 2018, 9:47 pm 

I've done 15 several times, both with just the family and with youth groups. It's our fall-back route when we want something easy, relaxing, and with great camping. The arrow on Jean-Pere heading north simply shows the direction of water flow - not that there is a current, but that's the direction of the outlet. You definitely want to do the loop clockwise due to the easy rapids on the river section.
One way I might do it with a youth group, and to allow for reservations so you're not stressing out during the day, might be to take an easy day 1 to 11-115 or 11-118 (both beautiful), do the triple portage the next day and stay at the big beach (another beautiful site) just on the other side - 15-15, paddle Poulter the third day and stay at the HUGE beach site - 15-15, then back to Jean-Pere and the cool multi-level site, 10-49 (with jumping ledge right on the site!). Return via Baie Kearney for something different, or right out Jean-Pere. All reservable sites, and all wonderful. I've had very little experience with the sites being trashed, and the motor boats in my opinion aren't any different than Grand or Nichotea farther north (and nowhere near as busy as Lake Victoria in the north end.

Enjoy!

Dave

PostPosted: January 16th, 2018, 7:55 am 

Thanks for the input Dave - I'll have a look at those on my map!

PostPosted: January 19th, 2018, 9:25 pm 

15 is so much better than muddy 30. 30 is possibly my least favorite of all the loops in LaV.

Start at JP, but my 20+ years of LaV have shown that typical winds blow into Le Domaine, making the initial 6km hard. You can start early, and catch the morning calm, but by 9am winds tend to pick up (unless weather is very nice). Another option is to stop at one of the amazing R sites.... really nice islands, with great swimming/ diving spots (especially - 11-118). I usually go all the way to 15-20 on day one. If its windy, make sure you stick to the shores (paralleling 10-67 10-75) and cut in towards the portages at a sharp angle. A hard paddle when the waters are rough.

The rest of the loop is a breeze and as mentioned 15-53 is a great beach, especially during blueberry season. If you have time, I suggest paddling down towards Lac du Lagan, where you will see the largest beaver dam ever. The entire lake is held up by a massive construction; truly amazing.

After the rapids, and back into JP I would suggest fishing. The eddy will bring you in and out, and makes a great fishing spot, where walleye like to hunt for smaller fish pouring into the lake. I also enjoy coming back to Le Domaine via Baie Menard. Its a nice paddle and narrow straight, def better than the low waters on the other side of the peninsula.

Hope you have a great trip, PM if you have any questions.

PostPosted: January 21st, 2018, 5:07 pm 

When is blueberry season?

I love fishing but it sure is expensive in LV

PostPosted: January 21st, 2018, 7:02 pm 

Prospector16 wrote:
When is blueberry season?

I love fishing but it sure is expensive in LV

August.. makes great pancakes

Its great fishing tho... Use mene or soak leeches in powerbait after rinsing them off. I like to bring worms too.

PostPosted: February 10th, 2018, 2:44 pm 

Hey folks I have another question about this route - I'm looking at this feature about midway through the route where the map shows what looks like a small island and you can go around it either way. The black line on the map goes over top of the island just like in my link below, but if you look closely it shows fewer and shorter portages if you take the other route below the island.

Can someone familiar with that area advise on what the difference is, and which is the best way to go? If going below (river right) is shorter with fewer portages, why does the map recommend going above (river left)?

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit? ... 25686&z=16

PostPosted: February 10th, 2018, 2:49 pm 

Oh I think I answered my own question - looks like if you go above as they suggest, you have a class 1 and 2 x class 2 that you can run if you are comfortable doing that. Otherwise you portage past those rapids.

But if you take the below route you have a short portage and no rapids to run until you hit the class 3 right after both sides merge back again on the other side of the island.

Would that be accurate?