It is currently September 30th, 2020, 8:31 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 30th, 2001, 11:51 am 

What a wonderful web site this is for Canadian canoeists I recently stumbled across…whoever started it is to be congratulated for a quality presentation!
Since the Ontario forum sections seem to be capturing the lion's share of posts here, I thought it might be worth trying to stir up some message traffic in the Quebec sections :smile:
We all seem to have a partial bias towards the attributes of our "home" rivers of choice and I am no exception when it comes to heaping hyperbolic praise on my own particular favourite-- the Jacques Cartier river near Quebec City (now nominated as one of Canada's Heritage Rivers) . I have canoed down its many sections countless times over the years ,each time being thoroughly entranced by the amazing geological beauty it has to offer ; not to mention wide variety of rapids ranging from R1 up to R5.
I guess the purpose of this message is to get some feedback from others who have visited this river so that I can better assess my degree of exageration in considering the Jacques Cartier to be one of the most treasured jewels of Eastern Canada….and perhaps one of the best kept secrets :smile:
Looking forward to any comments or experiences you might have relating to canoeing the Jacques Cartier .
Cheers,
Derek

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 30th, 2001, 8:56 pm 

Derek

No experiences to share but I would be interested in getting some! What length of trips can be done on this river? What are the best put-in/take-out points?

I live in Ontario but agree that for the most part the best river tripping in Eastern Canada is in Quebec.

Ben

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 31st, 2001, 6:23 pm 

Ben
The nice thing about the Jacques Cartier river is the wide range of possible outings….you can canoe and camp for a week if you want by starting in the upper reaches of the Jacques Cartier Provincial Park north of Quebec City or you can put in at any number of very accessible locations downstream for enjoyable day trips.
If you start off up at "Camp 3" , a 6k section of "warm up" rapids awaits you although there is one rapid affectionately called Le Monstre (C4) which can be a bit of a technical challenge to thread through the rocks and boulders. After working your way through another five or six rapids (C2 and C3) you glide peacefully into a breathtaking section of the valley…its not the rapids that take away your breath but rather the magnificent beauty of the valley with 400m tree covered cliffs on either side of the calm river.The put in for this section if you want to avoid the upper rapids is La Jetée.
This is an 18k that takes you all the way down to the Park's main reception area.In addition to the scenery there is ample wildlife to see(Heron,Moose,Hawks and you can even chat with the wolves at night :smile:) There are long sections of calm water with campsites along the way. And just to keep the adrenaline flowing there are a few C2 and C3 rapids spaced out along the way.
If you stayed long enough to watch the credits at the end of the movie "Grey Owl" , you may remember the background shots taken from a helicopter as it skimmed above the water and rapids down through a fall-colored valley ….this was the place those closing shots were from!
The next section of the Jacques Cartier is considered to be a little too wild for open canoes although some short solo boats could manage it with some extreme whitewater experience.This Tewkesbury section is better suited to rafting…but sometimes the temptation gets the best of ya :smile: The section is very technical and is recommended for canoes only at low levels since there is little room for portaging once you head into the foam.The put-in for this section if you want to try it is the rafting outfitter's parking lot near the Tewksbury church which is outside the park.
Next is a quiet section all the way down to Valcartier Village that is rarely used for canoeing but it could be attractive for family canoeing with young children. Unfortunately it is impossible to canoe all the way down the river in one uninterrupted journey…the reason; the Department of National Defense doesn't allow canoes meandering through its Valcartier Military Base.And it is just as well nobody makes a bold canoe assault because last summer it was revealed the river in that section is littered with unexploded artillery shells from their practice shooting ranges.
So you can put in again just below the military base (yes they have checked for floating shells :smile:) and work your way down to St.Catherine about 6k further downstream.This is a nice calm section with a few tricky rapids but it doesn't offer the "wilderness" scenery since cottages and houses dot the river banks all the way down.
It's time for some more excitement when you continue or put in at Grand Remous and head into another 6k section of rapids ranging from C2 to C4 (La Chaudiere Rapid about mid-way down is notorious for its potential "keeper hole" but can be avoided by slipping down the right side of the rapid in the huge haystack waves at high water levels) There are lots of play areas all along this section which ends at Pont Rouge(after passing a riverside dairy farm which just happens to be where I live on a permanent basis…well at least until I die that is :smile:).
The last 10k section of the river between Pont Rouge and Donnacona( at the mouth of the St.Lawrence) is my particular favourite. Heading into this section is like heading into a prehistoric setting of a glacier-carved canyon . The pristine beauty and isolation of this section with its high slate cliffs is truly something to see. Words won't do it justice…it has to be seen to understand what I mean. But beware about gazing and gawking at the geological formations too long because there are some mighty rapids to be dealt with along the way…including a great roller-coaster ride atop haystacks through a narrowing of the canyon. Portaging this section is difficult(impossible at high water) so make sure everything is securely tied down in your canoe and "go for it" :smile: There is a calm section after to empty any water you have taken on…or to recover your canoe.Then you can climb back in and enjoy the few remaining rapids before the river widens out to expose the rocks and shallow waters of the river's end…and the end of your canoe trip.
I hope that gives you a glimpse of what to expect when you try out this great canoeing river.
Cheers,
Derek

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 6th, 2001, 6:55 am 

Anyone interested in more info ,specs and pixs on the Jacques Cartier can click onto this site:
http://www.chrs.ca/Rivers/JacquesCartie ... er-F_e.htm

Derek

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 6th, 2001, 8:57 am 

Sounds great Derek. I will have to check it out some day.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Al Baars on 2001-09-06 09:57 ]</font>

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 4th, 2002, 7:44 pm 
Derek,

I agree with your comments and just wanted to say you are right this is the best kept secret of Quebec/Canada. Since I have been transferred from Big TO about a year ago, I have put this river on my to do list. Last time I did this river is back in 1983! Le "Morillon" is a good place to start a journey if I recall.

Cheers to all.
Stephane.

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 5th, 2002, 5:22 pm 

Quote:
On 2002-04-04 19:44, Anonymous wrote:
I agree with your comments and just wanted to say you are right this is the best kept secret of Quebec/Canada.

Ssssssshhhh....don't let the word out beyond the CCR forum :smile:
Derek