It is currently March 19th, 2024, 12:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: December 30th, 2020, 5:20 pm 

Brad Thomas wrote:
This map is interesting. Do you happen to know of any written accounts of these routes detailing portages or rapids?

The individual annotated maps for many Quebec routes are available as PDFs here: http://www.cartespleinair.org/Canot/cartes.html

Indeed they are in French but have all the rapids, campsites, portages, etc.

PostPosted: December 31st, 2020, 4:05 am 

Brad Thomas wrote:
This map is interesting. Do you happen to know of any written accounts of these routes detailing portages or rapids?

http://www.ottertooth.com/Reports/Ruper ... -index.htm

These are challenging remote wilderness river trips. They are not the flat water mentioned by the OP but they'd be right up your alley Brad.
There's a trip report by Mobax on this site for the Tichigami-Eastmain-Moon route. Lots of portaging but super rewarding. The North Arm of the Rupert is.... classic. The Marten is a beautiful little river, more intimate. Each route has its own character and I highly recommend all three for experienced trippers.
My main complaint about the rivers flowing west into the Bay is paddling into the prevailing wind. Get up early.

PostPosted: December 31st, 2020, 7:05 am 

sbaillie wrote:
When I first started exploring the area 15 or so years ago we were going to head to exactly the area you are looking at. We changed our mind upon finding a very small clause in the regs that forbids non residents from fishing north of the 52nd without a local guide.
Yeah, too expensive and having a guide is for wimps, takes the fun out of it. Do you happened to know how this is applied? Do you actually have to have a guide with you if you are fishing or do you just have to use the services of a local? Like, there are guys that haul their own boats up there to fish the big lakes, staying in an outfitter's cabin. I don't think they have to pick-up a guide every time they go out fishing? So maybe if you started a trip with an over-night at an outfitter's you could then head out on your own?

One time I paid a Cree trapper to meet me at a put-in to mark up my maps and give me some face-to-face advice. Could that qualify? Or paying someone for a car shuttle?

PostPosted: February 2nd, 2021, 12:16 pm 

I think if you launched from an outfitters it would probably qualify.

From talking to others that have done far north trips they simply forget to mention they have a fishing rod stashed away at the bottom of their packs.

No fishing rod; no problem.