It is currently March 19th, 2024, 1:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Kevlar on the Coulonge?
PostPosted: February 14th, 2021, 10:52 pm 

I'm starting the planning of a two or three week trip down the Coulonge River in September 2021, so I've been looking at various YouTube videos about canoeing there. The canoes in the videos all seem to be made of Royalex, Royalite, or maybe one of the more modern replacements for laminated plastic hulls. They all seemed to be rental fleet boats as well.

The trip I'm planning will involve two people paddling solo in their own boats, traveling together. One of the canoes is a Bluewater Freedom Tripper 17, in the 50lb Kevlar layup, and the other is a Clipper Tripper, also in kevlar.

So, my question is this; from their personal experience on the Coulonge or similar river, will narrow stemmed, kevlar cruisers be sufficiently robust for the trip without ending up in need of a complete rebuild? I'm talking about abrasion mostly. Thanks for any input folks, cheers.

Ubique

PostPosted: February 14th, 2021, 11:57 pm 

It is 260 km. from the headwaters in Lac Au Barrage to the Ottawa River and 15 km less if you get off just above the Chutes Coulonge. Two weeks is plenty of time to do the trip unless you plan on doing lots of fishing.

September usually means pretty low water conditions.

We took our 42-lb. Kevlar/carbon fibre Swift Dumoine down the river over a ten-day period in late August. There were definitely some abrasions - but no complete rebuild necessary! We accepted the scratches as the price of admission on a beautiful river on which we only met one other group of four canoes.