It is currently March 19th, 2024, 1:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: May 17th, 2021, 8:32 am 
CCR Moderator & Assistant Administrator

In two days time I'll be calling La Vérendrye to reserve one or two 5-7 night trips for this summer. The website says they will be taking reservations beginning on May 19.
I'm guessing this is a Covid measure. I've never had to reserve before. However, it's been 2 years since our last trip.

My wife and my two most recent trips were: Circuit 37 (with Dozois extension) and Circuit 77, which had too much portaging for my wife. We are looking for circuit suggestions.

We are interested in:
-max distance from the 117 if possible
-not hearing lumbering -I have been told they work all night.
-remote streams and lakes with deep bays
-not "too much" portaging

What we would like to do is head out on a circuit but whenever things look interesting we would go off-circuit for say a morning and/or afternoon then return to the circuit to a designated campsite. Just as an example, Lac Cawatose provides plenty of possibilities for explorations and lazy paddling. We could easily take a 4 day circuit and stretch it out to 6-7.

However, I don't know how the system will work this year. Ie. does one have to reserve each night's campsite
in advance? We are used to deciding upon our campsites on the fly and have always arrived at our chosen site to find it vacant. Perhaps things will be different this year.

PostPosted: May 17th, 2021, 10:29 am 

Hi Neil,

Sorry I can’t help you very much. I have been going after Labor Day for many years now as my only outing in LV. Never used the reservation system for that time of the year.

I heard that they were overcrowded at times during the summer months so that is maybe one reason for the reservation ruling.

If you are on Facebook there is a group called «Paddling La Vérendrye» maybe they can help.

Have a good outing. Hope you find a quiet corner of LV where you and yours can enjoy the wilderness experience.

Gerald

Here’s a ‘Avant Goût’

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLQRWI1 ... 5A&index=5

email: geraldguay@hotmail.com

PostPosted: May 17th, 2021, 12:25 pm 

They've always taken reservations for group sites maybe that's all it is.

PostPosted: May 17th, 2021, 12:35 pm 

Gerald Guay wrote:

Great video! It pretty much sums up what we look for when we paddle.

As for needing to reserve I'll find out all about it when I call them on Thursday. Til then we will keep looking for a quiet corner of the Réserve.

PostPosted: May 17th, 2021, 1:19 pm 

Do you have any dates in mind?

GG

PostPosted: May 17th, 2021, 1:21 pm 

Hi Neil, One trip I did in La Verendrye was Circuit 78 - La Perche-Chartier, I started where a small road off of route 44 (north end of the park) crosses the Ottawa River at the second bridge. I combined it with part of circuit 77 as far south into Lac Henault. I started 78 clockwise down to Grand Lac Victoria area, 2 short portages, one is actually a drag upstream iirc, then an easy portage into Lac Chochocouane. I saw a few boats in August but these are big lakes and they where off in the distance. I like Chochocouane as it's not so effected by wind. When I returned north to circuit 78 I really enjoyed the area north of Chute Big (another easy portage) back to the put in. Big easy route imho.

PostPosted: May 17th, 2021, 2:27 pm 

Gerald Guay wrote:
Do you have any dates in mind?

GG

July 19th and/or Aug 1st, preferably and. Have to come home for 2nd vaccinations.
Week long trips each.

PostPosted: May 17th, 2021, 5:57 pm 

Those dates are considered high season. Robin's suggestion would be a good place to go at that time of the summer.

GG

PostPosted: May 17th, 2021, 9:19 pm 

I was on the phone with them today. Their site (and emails) have been very unclear and have been giving me mixed info but here's the deal. No circuit reservations, as in past years. The reservations the site refers to are equipment and group sites. No shuttles this year, it looks like.

They took my info to open a file. I have to call them back three days ahead of my departure date to finalize the paperwork and pay, so I guess in a sense they're taking reservations but just three days ahead. No need to wait till Thurs to call. Go ahead and give them a call tomorrow if you want.

One complication is that the north half of the park is in a covid yellow zone and the south end is a red zone. Travel forbidden between these zones. Fingers crossed that changes. Hope this helps.

PostPosted: May 18th, 2021, 10:01 am 

This thread is extremely helpful. Thanks all!

Here is something from the La Vérendyre Facebook page in response to my query about motorboats on Reservoir Cabonga:
Quote:
Lots of fishermen most years, especially early in the season when fishing is best. They have quite a network of roads that spread out all over the reserve. It's not easy to get that complete wilderness experience. I started canoeing in LV in the early 70's. We were on our own then.

Quote:
It seems to me there’s more motor boat traffic the farther north you go, so Lake Victoria and the Dozois. But a lot of it just the motor boats at sunset heading back from whatever secret spot they were fishing, not a blasting back and forth all day.

PostPosted: May 18th, 2021, 10:04 am 

Gerald Guay wrote:
Those dates are considered high season. Robin's suggestion would be a good place to go at that time of the summer.

GG

We are both retired so theoretically we could go anytime up until the Reserve closes for canoeing.

PostPosted: May 18th, 2021, 4:14 pm 

I spent a week paddling with a newbie on Lac Victoria in early August (2015?). The put-in was overrun with people and lots of motorboats. The first day we just went a few km to the first available campsites, a few motor boats passed by. For the second night and the rest of the trip I think we saw only one motorboat in 5 days, they don't seem to travel very far from "home".

PostPosted: May 19th, 2021, 12:21 pm 

Gerald Guay wrote:
Hi Neil,

Sorry I can’t help you very much. I have been going after Labor Day for many years now as my only outing in LV. Never used the reservation system for that time of the year.

How do you manage to go without getting a ticket for leaving your car overnight? The Canoe season ends on Labour Day.... do you just pay access to the park at the gate going into LV park?

thanks,

marty

PostPosted: July 17th, 2021, 5:45 pm 

Just back from a 2-week hiking expedition in the Otish Mtns of central QC and now just about fully re-loaded for a week-long lazy canoe trip in La Vérendrye. Leaving Montreal Tuesday morning, July 20, heading up to a very busy La Vérendrye. Probably going to do Circuit 35, stretching it out by visiting various bays and streams off-circuit with a light boat.
Otish pics from myself and my partners.

PostPosted: July 18th, 2021, 5:27 am 

Great pics Neil. How where the bugs? Enjoy LV.

GG