It is currently March 18th, 2024, 10:12 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: July 18th, 2021, 9:57 am 
CCR Moderator & Assistant Administrator

They are very busy in La Verendrye! I learned that Barker Bay is only accessible via a very, very long detour. Something about First Nations land.
We had planned on doing circuit 35 just under half-way then turning around. The plan was to spend some time in back bays and channels. Turns out they don't want anyone doing that in order to keep people management easier. I think now be doing C-37 instead. 8 days, 70 kms. Should leave time for lazy wanderings.
The bugs in the Otish were fairly horrendous, which we knew they would be. You can see just how many there were in a few of the pics. We had a floorless dome for a mess tent and ran two Thermacells, which allowed us to cook and eat bug-free. The Thermacells worked well outside as well, even with a breeze.

PostPosted: July 22nd, 2021, 12:15 pm 

When I learned the Canadian border was opening up August 9, I started making plans to go to Verendrye.

What kind of traffic do you think C-77 will have once you get past the first portage? I plan to go mid August/early September.

I had a great trip planned for last year, but it is too short notice to revive that trip.

Are Canadian pundits predicting a big rush of Americans into Canada when the border opens?

PostPosted: July 22nd, 2021, 7:31 pm 

ericalynne wrote:
When I learned the Canadian border was opening up August 9, I started making plans to go to Verendrye.

What kind of traffic do you think C-77 will have once you get past the first portage? I plan to go mid August/early September.

I had a great trip planned for last year, but it is too short notice to revive that trip.

Are Canadian pundits predicting a big rush of Americans into Canada when the border opens?

Don't forget the need for a PCR type test within 72 hours of arrival at the border and quarantine plans if you are not found to be exempt from quarantine.

If you are driving you need to find a test enroute most likely and to find one that your insurance will cover may be difficult. Need to get one that supplies a travel certificate I believe. Not all do.

I would expect that La V is subject to the same insane pressure as exhibited in Ontario Parks. Folks have been constrained a long time.

Hoping things don't go "south" again with the Delta variant wreaking havoc in some areas.

PostPosted: July 23rd, 2021, 9:42 pm 

Just got back from LaV. Can't say it seemed insane at Le Domaine but no doubt visitors are up this year. My experience has been that the parks that take reservations are insane (couldn't book Mauricie or Frontenac this year) but parks that don't are still reasonable. I saw four canoes on my circuit over 7 days but it was one of the more remote linear ones (c-60).

PostPosted: July 24th, 2021, 7:15 am 

Thanks for the current information bigcat19. Will you be posting a trip report? I'd like to be able to do the rivers, but my white water skills as a solo boater are not good enough at all.

I am hoping the more isolated parts of C77 would be only lightly used. I really don't want to drive four days and see hundreds of people. I can do that here. :-)

I don't see any motorboat access to that C77, after the first portage.

I've had some email exchanges with staff at LV, and they will do a shuttle to and from Baie Barker, which I did not know about. It's expensive, but lots less expensive than driving a rented 4x4 all the way to Canada.

I was planning some more extensive trips before covid hit, but don't have enough time this season to get anything together. Maybe next year.

I am aware of the covid precautions and I have had both vaccination injections, wear a mask, social distance, etc. I understand this is a privilege Canada is offering to Americans and I respect that.

PostPosted: July 24th, 2021, 8:48 am 

ericalynne wrote:
Thanks for the current information bigcat19. Will you be posting a trip report? I'd like to be able to do the rivers, but my white water skills as a solo boater are not good enough at all.

I am hoping the more isolated parts of C77 would be only lightly used. I really don't want to drive four days and see hundreds of people. I can do that here. :-)

I don't see any motorboat access to that C77, after the first portage.

I've had some email exchanges with staff at LV, and they will do a shuttle to and from Baie Barker, which I did not know about. It's expensive, but lots less expensive than driving a rented 4x4 all the way to Canada.

I was planning some more extensive trips before covid hit, but don't have enough time this season to get anything together. Maybe next year.

I am aware of the covid precautions and I have had both vaccination injections, wear a mask, social distance, etc. I understand this is a privilege Canada is offering to Americans and I respect that.

It is just that timing is key so you get your test results back in time to still have internet service and fill out the Can Pass. Nothing I said was intended for you to not go. I wish the US would reciprocate with Canada in the same time frame. Even though I have been vaxxed for 8 months I still have to get a test and fill out the documents.

When I became eligible for the vaccine we were on the road on a cross country trip and scheduling was a PITA trying to guess when we would be home and being at a suitable place with internet when the appointments opened up at 2 pm. We were able to get the appt but it was not easy !

PostPosted: July 25th, 2021, 6:34 am 

Probably won't post a report as it was my first WW trip and I was so focused on getting down the rapids that I wasn't careful about taking notes. Mainly we used Kevin Callan's chapter on the Chochocouane from his ON & QC Rivers book.

Generally for c-60 I can say it was stunningly beautiful, almost no other canoers, not quite as much wildlife as I was hoping for, lots and lots of rapids, most of which are the right level for a beginner. In other words, a great beginner-level WW/remote wilderness river.

I was very fortunate to find a WW instructor who was willing to tailor a 2-day WW crash course for me and my two friends for $140 each and was willing to do so the weekend before we left on this trip. He couldn't certify us or anything as it was a custom-made and not an official course, but certification was not my goal--getting from the top of the rapids to the bottom intact while feeling like I had a modicum of control was what we were looking for. He did the crash course on Riviere Rouge, so it was on the way to LaV for us. Couldn't have worked out better. If anyone is ever interested in contacting him, just PM me and I'll shoot you his info.

PostPosted: July 25th, 2021, 7:03 am 

Thanks bigcat.

Littleredcanoe. I appreciate the info that it is difficult to get tested up north. Here it is pretty much walk in and walk out at most CVS drugstores. I am researching the possibilities on the web.

PostPosted: July 25th, 2021, 11:37 am 

ericalynne wrote:
Thanks bigcat.

Littleredcanoe. I appreciate the info that it is difficult to get tested up north. Here it is pretty much walk in and walk out at most CVS drugstores. I am researching the possibilities on the web.

I was hoping to kayak in Newfoundland this fall. The hoops seem to keep getting bigger. So far I need to schedule a pretest, get tested at the border ( have my vaccine card) and within certain timelines between 72 hours and five days submit documentation to three provincial entities( New Brunswick, Nova Scotia and Newfoundland/Labrador) and the Canadian Government and it seems have an isolation plan and contact number while in Canada.. how a paddle trip fits in that boggle me.

Excel may be required.. I am getting discouraged and may wait

If you don't mind sharing how you are juggling the bureaucracy I am all ears.

PostPosted: July 27th, 2021, 8:23 pm 

Barker Bay and the circuits accessed therefrom are not accessible at this time due to a 1st nations road blockade. (actually, you can go to Barker Bay but it involves a very long detour)

We did a leisurely C-37 in 7 nights with several side-trips into bays and streams and saw only a few other canoes. Depending on the proximity to SEPAQ campsites there were a fair number of motors since we were right smack in the middle of the Quebec construction holiday. The motorboats were a minimal disturbance because they headed directly to their fishing spots and cut the engines.

PostPosted: July 27th, 2021, 8:39 pm 

Hey LRC, my wife and I plan on taking our van to the Avalon Peninsula this fall to section hike the East Coast Trail.

PostPosted: July 27th, 2021, 8:47 pm 

I was lucky enough to get this photo on La Vérendrye Bay on the first day of our trip.
https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipO ... _yUrjtDikm

PostPosted: July 28th, 2021, 5:39 am 

Hi Neal,
Cannot get the photo link to work. It seems the URL is wrong.
GG

email: geraldguay@hotmail.com

PostPosted: July 28th, 2021, 7:34 am 

Gerald Guay wrote:
Hi Neal,
Cannot get the photo link to work. It seems the URL is wrong.
GG

How about this?
https://photos.app.goo.gl/TBgmnweHd3CBuhVU9

PostPosted: July 28th, 2021, 10:46 am 

Hiker Neil wrote:
Hey LRC, my wife and I plan on taking our van to the Avalon Peninsula this fall to section hike the East Coast Trail.

That;s great. love the ECT from the little I have walked it ( and yes walked; Am not much of a hardcore walker!) La Manche Village was interesting

The problem for us is that there is loads of paperwork to do depending on how many/which provinces we cross and we have to be traceable by Health Canada. I am confused if we need to present quarantine plans even if fully vaxxed -and we are and how do you do that while camping? I don't know the requirements that NL imposes on you.