It is currently March 19th, 2024, 1:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: May 19th, 2021, 12:13 pm 

Hey everyone,

I am planning a trip down the Noire River this summer. I have done it from le rapide de L'ours to black river in many time but I have never started higher.

My main question here is the following. I only have 5 days (On The water) for that canoe trip.

Most trip report I read they take it over 7 days. And I am having a hard time gauging if it is doable in 5 days, especially because of the canyon stair case and the Fall.

I have a lot of experience canoe tripping and have travelled 30 plus km days in algonquin park in the past so to me, with the fact that there is a lot of current pushing you down stream, I feel like it's doable.

I am planning on running all C1s and C2s but will most-likely portage the C3s, except the fun ones like 5050 and maybe jam rock! (As I have ran both in the past). Since the vast majority of my experience is on flat water, I also travel pretty light so for me portages aren't an issue.

Thoughts? Advice?

Thanks,

PostPosted: May 19th, 2021, 12:56 pm 

It's doable at an average of 30 km/day. Up to you if it will be enjoyable. I recall the upper stretches of river to meander with minimal current.

PostPosted: May 19th, 2021, 2:13 pm 

I understand it's usually not the way people go about canoe tripping but I just felt like a bit of a challenge as well more then a relaxing trip down the river.

Thanks!

PostPosted: May 19th, 2021, 3:44 pm 

The portage around canyon staircase is easy, while mountain chutes portage is much longer especially if you takeout further upstream from the falls.

There are 3 maps to view/study
-Hap Wilson’s Rivers of upper ottawa valley
-Cartespleinair
-FQCK

Cartespleinair is the only one available online that I can see. PM me if you want a copy of the FQCK map.

Also, avoid fishing in the ZEC st Patrice, the cost of permits is not practical and the punishment for poaching is unbearable.

PostPosted: May 19th, 2021, 4:12 pm 

Airbag, did you get caught fishing in a Zec without a permit? I've never been able to find the penalties for not having a Zec permit, but having a Quebec one.
Been on the Noire twice, had little fishing luck either time.

rab

PostPosted: May 19th, 2021, 4:23 pm 

Nah, dont fish anymore, but know how much QC values the revenue stream and will preserve that income at any cost.

Found a couple rods/reels in the sand below Targie rapids(on the Noire). Pulled them back into camp, but then wanted to distance myself from the gear, considering the optics looked terrible.

PostPosted: May 19th, 2021, 4:47 pm 

Thanks for the info!
I have PMed you.

Would you say it's impossible to complete in 5 days?

Thanks,

Marty

Airbag wrote:
The portage around canyon staircase is easy, while mountain chutes portage is much longer especially if you takeout further upstream from the falls.

There are 3 maps to view/study
-Hap Wilson’s Rivers of upper ottawa valley
-Cartespleinair
-FQCK

Cartespleinair is the only one available online that I can see. PM me if you want a copy of the FQCK map.

Also, avoid fishing in the ZEC st Patrice, the cost of permits is not practical and the punishment for poaching is unbearable.

PostPosted: May 19th, 2021, 7:20 pm 

Off the top of my head I'm not sure where you are starting, are you starting upstream of Lac St. Patrice or downstream?

PostPosted: May 19th, 2021, 8:27 pm 

I am not sure if this will help, but we started at Km 187, due to an error of our shuttle driver. It was a very narrow dirt road and a small bridge. From the trip log "We paddled 7 km and then pulled up on a sand bar to see where we were. After having a good look at all of the maps, D. pulled out the GPS we had brought for emergencies and the topo’s and discovered that we had put in at km 187 on Hap’s map. We were 55 km’s higher than we should have been! We would have to paddle 40 km Sunday (only 13.7 km as the crow flies). But the current was good, 6-7 km/hr, so we would make good time despite meanders."
"The meanders were long and sweeping, and the terrain changed every half hour. Sand dunes, sand backs, clay banks, poplar, pine (balsam, red, white, jack, etc.), birch, blue and other spruce, and hardly any Labrador tea. A few swifts and a C1 to break up the monotony. Really, for someone who hates meanders, I was quite enjoying these long sweeping ones. I had been told that there would be no view on this river, but sometimes you can see 400m to 1km, and the hills are lovely to see. No drag-overs, lining, dragging, or beaver dams. 1 short 45m portage around a falls that was easy – just dragged the canoes over. A few spars and strainers, but never a problem getting around them. Not a hard day- current is pretty consistent of 5-7.5 km/hr "
We took 7.5 days to get down to Black River in.. starting at 8:30 and finishing around 4. The couple with us took a 20 min tea break in the afternoon, and we took30 min for lunch, and 15 at some point for a swim. So if you can make those 30 km/day, it may be close if you have weather, but you mght be able to do it.

PostPosted: May 20th, 2021, 6:36 pm 

That is where we will be launching! about 150 km total... so we were thinking of plowing 30 ks per day... so probably 12 hour days every day of paddling....

This will not be a relaxing trip we are hopping to push ourselves and travel a lot.

Thanks for the input.

cheryl wrote:
I am not sure if this will help, but we started at Km 187, due to an error of our shuttle driver. It was a very narrow dirt road and a small bridge. From the trip log "We paddled 7 km and then pulled up on a sand bar to see where we were. After having a good look at all of the maps, D. pulled out the GPS we had brought for emergencies and the topo’s and discovered that we had put in at km 187 on Hap’s map. We were 55 km’s higher than we should have been! We would have to paddle 40 km Sunday (only 13.7 km as the crow flies). But the current was good, 6-7 km/hr, so we would make good time despite meanders."
"The meanders were long and sweeping, and the terrain changed every half hour. Sand dunes, sand backs, clay banks, poplar, pine (balsam, red, white, jack, etc.), birch, blue and other spruce, and hardly any Labrador tea. A few swifts and a C1 to break up the monotony. Really, for someone who hates meanders, I was quite enjoying these long sweeping ones. I had been told that there would be no view on this river, but sometimes you can see 400m to 1km, and the hills are lovely to see. No drag-overs, lining, dragging, or beaver dams. 1 short 45m portage around a falls that was easy – just dragged the canoes over. A few spars and strainers, but never a problem getting around them. Not a hard day- current is pretty consistent of 5-7.5 km/hr "
We took 7.5 days to get down to Black River in.. starting at 8:30 and finishing around 4. The couple with us took a 20 min tea break in the afternoon, and we took30 min for lunch, and 15 at some point for a swim. So if you can make those 30 km/day, it may be close if you have weather, but you mght be able to do it.

PostPosted: May 21st, 2021, 7:05 pm 

Marty,

Up until last year, I have led a sept long weekend trip down the noire.

I typically leave the outfitters around 10:45-11:00 am on Friday, one the River by 1 pm and back out at the black river inn by Monday between 2-5 pm. I have gone in at rapide de l’ours and met the timeline.

I usually have between 10-15 people, with lots of kids and we take our time. Our typical target is to get to manitou on the Sunday, or just above.

Steve