It is currently March 19th, 2024, 3:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: August 4th, 2021, 10:19 am 

All these reports are driving me crazy!! I'm itching to go back up; we've been almost every year for 8 years, but I'm too busy at home, and not enough holidays left.

Really looking forward to some trip reports so I can at least experience it through the eyes of others this year.

PostPosted: August 6th, 2021, 5:37 am 

Hey Brad, did you come out on the Wabissinane? Mobax and I did part of that route in the opposite direction in an open tandem boat, starting at Albanel.
We island-hopped across Mistissini with our longest open-water crossing of 7.2 km IIRC. Surreal to be a tiny speck bobbing along, alone in the middle of that giant uncaring inland sea, indifferent to the lives of a couple of old homo sapien trespassers. Humbling, kinda' puts you in your place. That scene still lives in my failing memory as clear and sharp as a high-def movie. (Speaking of which, I'm really looking forward to your video!)
We paddled north up the west shore then up the Wabissinane, over the height-of-land and picked-up the Tichegami at Lac Baudeau (where I imagine you left off, heading south the way we'd come?). West down the lower Tichegami and the Eastmain then south puddle-jumping over the height-of-land into a little unnamed river in the Rupert watershed. Then down the awesome pre-diversion Rupert to our shuttle vehicle at the Route du Nord. So I think between us we've done the whole Tichegami. She is indeed a beautiful little river in a wild and beautiful land: absolutely remote classic northern-shield wilderness, ridiculously good fishing, lots of doable rapids. The upper section you did must have been amazing.

Last edited by Krusty on August 6th, 2021, 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: August 6th, 2021, 8:47 am 

We did come down the Wabissinane! We put in at a gravel pit where the Otish Mtn Road (ext of 167) crosses near the river and took a small stream down to the river proper. I had wanted to access the extreme headwaters via the Eastmain, but it would have required a few extra hard days of slogging and I wasn't sure if we'd be slogging further down river or get pinned down by weather on the big lakes for a few days. It's a good thing we accessed where we did, as levels in the mountains were low anyways and I had a catastrophic canoe failure due to a botched factory repair job....

The upper stretches' are incredible. Very surreal to paddle in the mountain valley and the side hikes to the top of the peaks were beyond breathtaking. There's a good 30km or so of seemingly near endless rapids and we got lucky with water levels. Most were just technical runs weaving through rocks - though we did have to rescue one of the canoes twice (thankfully stuck open side up and not pinned!). We only portaged a few times; the rest we couldn't run, we lined or lifted over. A foot higher and it would have been pushy fun, any higher and it may have been dangerous!

The scenery shifted around every bend. It was truly an eye candy trip. No signs of past travelers until we got down closer to Baudeau where the river splits (the garbage from the Cree on the large northern beach was very, very sad). Advanced route due to remoteness and whitewater, but not overly difficult if a party possesses the right skillsets. The trip was MUCH easier than anticipated for our group. We had near perfect weather and we had a lot of extra leisure time, which wasn't a bad thing, just unexpected.

Over 400gb of footage to put together now. Should have a video out in winter!

My Backcountry Website: www.explorethebackcountry.com

PostPosted: May 4th, 2022, 5:16 pm 

Here's Explore The Backcounty's trailer for the upcoming series. It's awesome.
Thanks Brad. Looking forward to the series.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCL-2op ... 4YWufjznUw

PostPosted: August 23rd, 2022, 12:43 pm 

Brad you better have a good excuse for not getting us that video yet!

Seriously can't wait to see the trip.