It is currently March 18th, 2024, 9:24 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: February 20th, 2022, 11:34 pm 

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal ... -1.6353816
Quote:
It took six years to pull it off, but Air Inuit President Christian Busch says the completion of the arduous process of cutting a new cargo door in what started out as a 50-passenger plane means the remote Inuit communities served by the airline will now have more timely access to crucial goods.

"We had to adapt the cargo transportation of the north to today's realities," said Busch. "Important tools such as ATVs, snowmobiles, mining equipment were all increasing in size."

The modifications / conversion of a Dash8-300 may make flying out hardshell canoes from northern Quebec more feasible, there are also some access points at smaller communities which did not have cargo service that could handle 16" canoes.

They plan to do another conversion if they can raise the $5 Million required (maybe a bit less for the second one)

PostPosted: February 21st, 2022, 3:14 pm 

Interesting.
The Dash8-300 is a good sized plane. I would have guessed that you could get a canoe on edge through the original door but maybe not!? No doubt about it now fitting through the door.
No issues with a Pakboats/pakcanoe.

PostPosted: February 21st, 2022, 3:47 pm 

I tried to get a 14' boat into an Otter once.........it looked like it would fit but it turned out it was about a foot too long, part of the problem was that it was not a shallow canoe, if it was cut down by 2 - 3 inches it might have gone in.

There is another issue, if passangers are on board an aircraft there must be NOTHING obstructing the loading door in case of an emergency exit being required.

The Otters that carry canoes inside usually need to have the large cargo door modification (not as big as this Dash8 has).

Dash8 as you say is a big plane but the issues remain without the giant cargo door modification.

From Northern Quebec I have shipped gear/boats south to Montreal by sea freight, it's pretty cheap but takes months and if you are not somewhat close to Montreal it's not much help.

The Air Inuit cargo planes will usually be returning to Montreal empty, you can usually get a good rate for back haul service.

Air Creebec (serving the east coast of Hudson Bay) have a Hawker cargo aircraft, looking at the Air Inuit fleet they have only Dash8 combi's and the newly rebuilt all cargo conversion, their 737's are set up for passenger service only.