It is currently March 19th, 2024, 3:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: March 4th, 2022, 7:45 am 

Got an email this morning from Sepaq announcing that they will now take over running canoe camping at La Verendrye (Canot Kayak Quebec had previously run it). I'll paste the full email below (in French), but here's what stood out to me:
  • Sepaq will run the canoe camping (this definitely means the reservation system and I believe site and trail maintenance as well), while CKQ will run services for canoers (vague about what this means in practice)
  • Nothing will change for regular canoe campers
  • Rental and shuttle services still available
  • Reservations open by phone Apr. 7 this year (link to notification of reservation opening: https://bit.ly/ListeEnvoi)
  • New Sepaq website for LaV (linked to French rather than English as some of the content is missing on the English version): https://www.sepaq.com/rf/lvy/canot-camp ... guage_id=2

Here's the text of the full email:
Sépaq x Canot Kayak Québec : un partenariat optimisé pour le canot-camping
Le partenariat fructueux entre la Société des établissements de plein air du Québec (Sépaq) et Canot Kayak Québec évolue en misant davantage sur les forces de chaque organisation dans la mise en valeur de l’activité de canot-camping dans la réserve faunique La Vérendrye.

À partir de cette année, la Sépaq prendra en charge l’ensemble de la gestion du canot-camping disponible dans la réserve faunique, et Canot Kayak Québec mettra son expertise au service d’une offre adaptée aux attentes des amateurs de canot-camping. Une évolution qui n’aura aucun impact sur les habitudes des adeptes réguliers et qui jette les bases d’une expérience bonifiée dans les années à venir.

« La passion, le savoir-faire et le travail consciencieux de Canot Kayak Québec a permis de faire de notre réserve faunique une destination réputée et recherchée par les amoureux de canot-camping. Notre collaboration se poursuit dans une optique emballante d’accessibilité encore plus grande de l’activité et du territoire pour tous », a déclaré la directrice de la réserve faunique La Vérendrye, Mme Johanne Vienneau.

« Une nouvelle ère de partenariat s’ouvre entre nos deux organisations où les forces de chacune sont reconnues et mises à contribution pour répondre davantage aux besoins d’une communauté grandissante de pagayeurs. Le respect de l’intégrité du concept Canot-camping La Vérendrye, à travers le développement de l’offre, demeure une priorité pour maintenir la qualité de l’expérience unique à Canot-camping La Vérendrye », mentionne le directeur général de Canot Kayak Québec, M. Pierre Marquis.

L’offre et les services sont maintenus
La location d’embarcations, de pagaies, de barils de transport, de vestes de flottaison et de matériel de sécurité obligatoire sera toujours offerte. Un service de navette sera aussi disponible pour certains parcours. Une tarification accessible sera maintenue et les réservations, nouvellement faites par circuit, s’ouvriront le 7 avril 2022 par téléphone. Les intéressés peuvent s’abonner à une liste d’envoi afin d’être notifiés de l’ouverture des réservations : https://bit.ly/ListeEnvoi

La renommée de ce vaste territoire sauvage de 13 615 km2 n’est plus à faire dans le monde du canot-camping. Située entre l’Outaouais et l’Abitibi-Témiscamingue, la réserve faunique La Vérendrye propose 18 circuits de rivières et de lacs à couper le souffle, à travers plus de 800 km de parcours entretenus et signalisés accessibles à tous les niveaux de canoteurs.

Pour de plus amples renseignements, nous vous invitons à visiter le nouveau site internet de la réserve faunique La Vérendrye

PostPosted: March 7th, 2022, 12:33 pm 

Roughly translated

Sépaq x Canot Kayak Québec: an optimized partnership for canoe-camping
The fruitful partnership between the Société des établissements de plein air du Québec (Sépaq) and Canot Kayak Québec is evolving by focusing more on the strengths of each organization in promoting the canoe-camping activity in the La Vérendrye Wildlife Reserve.

Starting this year, the Sépaq will take over the entire management of the canoe-camping available in the wildlife reserve, and Canot Kayak Québec will put its expertise at the service of an offer adapted to the expectations of canoe-camping enthusiasts. An evolution that will have no impact on the habits of regular followers and that lays the foundation for an enhanced experience in the coming years.

"The passion, know-how and conscientious work of Canot Kayak Québec has made it possible to make our wildlife reserve a renowned and sought-after destination for canoe-camping lovers. Our collaboration continues in an exciting perspective of even greater accessibility of the activity and the territory for all," said the director of the La Vérendrye Wildlife Reserve, Ms. Johanne Vienneau.

"A new era of partnership is opening between our two organizations where the strengths of each are recognized and put to use to better meet the needs of a growing community of paddlers. Respecting the integrity of the Canoe-camping La Vérendrye concept, through the development of the offer, remains a priority to maintain the quality of the unique experience at Canoe-camping La Vérendrye," said Pierre Marquis, General Manager of Canoe Kayak Québec.

The offer and services are maintained
The rental of boats, paddles, transport barrels, flotation jackets and mandatory safety equipment will always be offered. A shuttle service will also be available for some routes. Accessible pricing will be maintained and reservations, newly made by circuit, will open on April 7, 2022 by phone. Interested parties can subscribe to a mailing list in order to be notified of the opening of reservations: https://bit.ly/ListeEnvoi

The fame of this vast wild territory of 13,615 km2 is no longer to be had in the canoe-camping world. Located between the Outaouais and Abitibi-Témiscamingue, La Vérendrye Wildlife Reserve offers 18 breathtaking river and lake circuits, through more than 800 km of maintained and signposted trails accessible to all levels of canoeists.

For more information, we invite you to visit the new website of the La Vérendrye Wildlife Reserve

PostPosted: March 19th, 2022, 11:56 am 

The new website ( https://www.sepaq.com/rf/lvy/canot-camping/index.dot ) is just lousy compared to the previous website - no route descriptions, no maps.

Also, in the past there were NO reservations except for groups. You just showed up, and they had a daily quota of how many parties could start each day on a particular route from a particular starting point. (There was the option of waiting a day, if you were had your heart set on a particular route, or you could simply choose a different route).

Another trepidation I have is that SEPAQ is notoriously dog-hostile. I always trip with my sidekick. If the back country now is closed to dogs, that basically means the Reserve is now closed for folks like me.

:(

Most of the world's political, social, and environmental problems have the same root cause: human overpopulation. By 2050 or so, the world population is expected to reach nine billion.

PostPosted: March 21st, 2022, 10:22 am 

Last year the procedure was call three days in advance, they email you your permit, and you print it out. It's not clear on the site whether this will remain in place or whether they plan on changing how it's done.

I couldn't agree more--there was so much information on the old site that is just gone now. Here's a link to a pdf description of the circuits (in French): http://www.cartespleinair.org/Canot/04/ ... ye2002.pdf

Here's a link to the most recent Wayback Machine capture of the old site. Some info was captured, some wasn't. Can't find the English version.
https://web.archive.org/web/20211228154 ... index.html

Hope Sepaq imports this info to the new site sooner rather than later.

PostPosted: March 21st, 2022, 2:55 pm 

This is a huge disappointment for those of us who love her.

PostPosted: March 22nd, 2022, 9:28 am 

ericalynne wrote:
This is a huge disappointment for those of us who love her.

ditto!

Didn't know a canoe person lived in Venus ( not many people there!) I have neighbors with a small condo on the south edge of Lake Placid.. They volunteer at Archbold.
We are down most years and paddle Fisheating Creek.
That food truck on 27 is awesome.

PostPosted: March 23rd, 2022, 5:40 am 

I’m surprised you got onto Fisheating Creek; the water has been very low. It is one of the most beautiful places in Florida.

PostPosted: March 23rd, 2022, 10:29 am 

There is some circuit info presently available at https://www.sepaq.com/rf/lvy/canot-camping/index.dot , however it is in French only for the moment. They say English language pages will be available soon.

Will have to wait to see how things turn out with the Sepaq now in charge of the canoe camping. I'm not too hopeful, specially for those of us who seek a wilderness experience.

GG

email: geraldguay@hotmail.com

PostPosted: March 26th, 2022, 6:59 am 

Here is a Google translation of an article that appeared this morning is Montreal's La Presse Plus newspaper.

Reserve La Verendrye
A worrying change
Marie Tison The Press

A few weeks ago, SEPAQ announced that it was taking over the management of canoe-camping reservations at La Vérendrye wildlife reserve. This sector is very popular with enthusiasts of this activity and the news has worried some. Explanations.

Will the Society of Outdoor Establishments of Quebec (SEPAQ) gradually abandon the large circuits intended for experienced canoeists? Will it increase ready-to-camp and other glamping facilities?

SEPAQ wanted to be reassuring. "We don't want to distort this activity, it's a winning formula," says company spokesperson Simon Boivin. We just want to make the activity more accessible, to highlight it so that it benefits outdoor lovers. »

Previously, Canot Kayak Québec managed canoe-camping reservations at La Vérendrye wildlife reserve, which included boat rentals.

Release pressure

Marc-André Pauzé, photographer and great outdoor enthusiast, discussed the situation with other canoe-camping enthusiasts and wrote a letter to SEPAQ and Canot Kayak Québec to express all of their concerns. More than 540 people have co-signed this missive. They fear in particular that SEPAQ will abandon the large tours of seven to ten days to focus on the small tours of two or three days, which are very popular with less experienced and thus more profitable customers.

Simon Boivin argued that there was no question of ruling out long journeys. “Our idea is to facilitate access to the territory in order to take the pressure off certain sectors that are currently too busy, i.e. the places located near the current rental center,” he says. In particular, it is a question of adding at least one other rental site, and thus facilitating access to a larger territory. SEPAQ also intends to offer a shuttle service for certain routes.

Mr. Pauzé particularly liked the flexibility of the system in place, which facilitated the organization of courses in the hinterland.

“What people who practice canoe-camping more intensely appreciate about the La Vérendrye reserve is that there is very little infrastructure. »

— Marc-André Pauzé, photographer and outdoor enthusiast

"We're really going into the wilderness, you have to know how it works, a map, a compass, you have to know how to manage your time on an expedition," he said in an interview.

“Commodification” of the outdoors

He believes that the situation is very different in most SEPAQ parks, which he says are succumbing to a “commodification” of the outdoors. “It is as if we were transforming the wilderness into amusement parks. The forest is a natural setting: it is very beautiful, but we see more and more infrastructures being set up. And this, to the detriment of the wild nature and the experience that one can live there. »

Experienced canoe-campers also fear that SEPAQ will force them to determine in advance each of the campsites they intend to use during their expedition. “It is not compatible with an expedition of seven or ten days, maintains Mr. Pauzé. At the limit, it is dangerous: we would thus force people to move in the hinterland when the situation might not be conducive to that. Crossing a large lake in high winds... you better stay where you are and wait for it to pass. »

Once again, Simon Boivin wanted to reassure people. “The system remains the same. You choose a circuit of x days, but within this circuit, you have the freedom to sleep on the site you want. There are plenty of places you can stop. »

Simon Boivin affirms that SEPAQ and Canot Kayak Québec have modified their partnership by mutual agreement and that the organization will retain an advisory role. “Everyone’s expertise is put to better use,” he says. We manage the reservations, that's what we do. They have a sensitivity as to what canoeists want to do, or how things can be arranged. »

“A change often leads to anxiety. We understand it. It starts from an attachment to the territory that we share. We are aware and sensitive to the concern these people have, ”said Mr. Boivin.

PostPosted: July 10th, 2022, 7:18 am 

I've never been to La Verendrye. I had hoped to change that. The level and quality of available information pales in comparison to what can be found for Ontario Parks and given the recent change, I felt compelled to call to get some clarity. I spoke to 2 people and they were adamant that the circuit times were fixed maximums, i.e., if the circuit says 3 days, you must complete it in 3 days or better. I asked what if I got 1/3 of the way through and decided to do a 180. "No, you must continue, you must complete 10km's/day." So, regretfully, a hard pass for me on La Verendrye.

PostPosted: July 11th, 2022, 5:43 am 

Good morning Scratchypants. You are not alone in feeling this way. There is a person who has started a website for those concerned by these changes, where input and feedback is available regarding this subject.
Once a person becomes a site member (free) they receive all the latest LV canoe-camping concerns and actions.

https://me.us13.list-manage.com/subscribe?u=21c6568e81cefa5dc1bb4c496&id=97453907a1

Also, if your French is good, postings on this Facebook page may be of interest to you and others.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1406203073026949

GG

PostPosted: July 11th, 2022, 1:24 pm 

Strange. Last year I booked circuit #60 for seven nights even though it is listed as a five-night circuit. Nobody gave us a hard time. Then again, that was under the old guard.

PostPosted: July 12th, 2022, 6:41 am 

Gerald, I registered for the site above, and proved I was human, but when I pressed the button "Continue to website" I got the following error message: about:blank#blocked

Is anyone else having trouble?

PostPosted: July 12th, 2022, 9:42 am 

Same problem.

PostPosted: July 13th, 2022, 5:45 am 

I was able to sign up - received my confirmation email July 11 at 7:20PM. (Thanks Gerald)