It is currently March 18th, 2024, 8:58 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Moisie River
PostPosted: May 16th, 2022, 10:55 am 

Hi all,
I was wondering if anyone had some information for me on the moisie river.

From the research that I have done it looks to me that most people take a train from sept-iles to fermont/labrador city and then it's a 14-21 day trip to return.

Does anyone know if it's possible to just do a 5 to 7 day trip on this river? Is there a shuttle service? Do you need to be flown in for that?

thanks,

Marty

Post subject: Re: Moisie River
PostPosted: May 16th, 2022, 1:50 pm 

The train hasn't run to Lab City for about 15 years, well the ore train still operates but no passenger service. To access the headwaters of the Moisie you can still take the passenger train and get off at Emeril Junction and arrange a shuttle to Lab City (about an hour drive). Alternative is to drive to Lab City (nice drive). It may still be possible to ship a vehicle by rail back to Sept-Isle, I did that in 2007, no idea if it's still possible.

Another alternate is to take the train and get off at Oreway, paddle across Ashuanipi Lake and portage over to Lac Menistouc. You can also access via the Riviere Aux Pekans from Hwy 389 about an hour south of Fermont/Lab City.

None of these routes could be done in 5 - 7 days, 10 if you are a REAL speed demon, 15/16 days if you move quickly and 18+ if you want to enjoy the trip.

Note that there was a massive fire in the upper river in 2013, there have been few reports from paddlers after that date although I'm sure some have done it.

I don't think there is any feasible or worthwhile 5 - 7 day trip.

You can search the archives here, there are many posts about the Moisie from the 00's. Detailed maps available from cartes plein aire:

http://www.cartespleinair.org/Canot/cartes.html

PostPosted: May 17th, 2022, 12:44 pm 

Fly in is your only option for a trip of that duration. Many years ago I looked into fly in options and there were a few locations a plan could be landed if I recall. That said, after paddling the river I wouldn't want to miss the upper portions and suggest you wait until you can afford the 15/16 days to truly enjoy.

PostPosted: February 11th, 2023, 11:45 am 

Hi

Another option for starting is putting in on the Pekans River near Fremont. Good points , starting on a river, great whitewater, amazing portage at the confluence with Moisie ( or negative), no big lakes, tough portages.

The train to Oreway offers good amount lake travel which lightens your packs before the Moisie River portages. . Simple logistics , train up and car waiting at train station.

Karl

PostPosted: February 11th, 2023, 4:19 pm 

I just checked the train schedule from Sept isles to Oreway (Ashuanipi Lake). One way ticket is $50.49. Canoe is $150. Non-regular baggage 80-100lbs cost $40. A bargain!

https://www.tshiuetin.net/prices/?lang=en#tarif_voyage

PostPosted: May 5th, 2023, 2:12 pm 

Planning the Pekans/Moise route. (3 weeks, 3 canoeists in 3 canoes)
Train on July 25th from Sept-Iles to Emeril Jct.
We will book within the next month.
I have the same info for the train.Thanks.

Now... I'm in the quest for a ride from Emeril Jct to the Pekans river crossing on road 389 (west of Fermont).I contacted ''Fermont Tourism Bureau'' (MRC Caniapiscau), waiting for a call back.
I posted on some buy/sales facebook pages in Fermont... will try new ones.
Any other idea? tipes? lodges or others supplying this shuttle?
Best to look in Labrador City?

Thanks
David

PostPosted: May 5th, 2023, 2:28 pm 

Try contacting Paul Joe at Duly Lake Trailer Park in Lab City.

Have you considered driving to Lab city and having your vehicle shipped by rail back to Sept-Iles. This is the method I used for my Pekans/Moise trip many years ago (my first Moisie trip was in 2003 when passenger service was still available). Although there is no longer passenger service to Lab City on the train there is still cargo service.

I'm very interested in any reports if you are able to do the trip. After the massive wildfire in 2013 there have not been a lot of people doing the river. Via the Pekans route I think you pass through the last of the Moisie fire damage within a day or two, not sure what damage was done along the Pekans, my impression is that the severe damage was restricted to the Moisie valley itself.

It was (or is?) a fantastic trip.

PostPosted: May 8th, 2023, 10:39 am 

Thank you recped, I'll certainly give him a call!

Yes we thought about it but we specially appreciate the train ride each time we can (as we always do on the Batiscan river )
We also considered the gravel road we want avoid from Manic 5 Dam to Pekan Put-in (Fermont).
If it goes as planned, (we plan for a good and safe trip ;) ) ...I'll report with pleasure.
thanks again
David

PostPosted: May 18th, 2023, 9:00 am 

recped wrote:
Try contacting Paul Joe at Duly Lake Trailer Park in Lab City.

Again, thank you so much recped.
I was able to reach Paul on the phone yesterday (a great guy!) after contacting ''tourism Labrador''.

https://gatewaylabrador.ca/index.php?op ... nformation

As he's not yet in operation, we'll get in touch again early July to finalize arrangement for a shuttle from Emiril Jct to Riviere-aux-Pekans put-in.

I really love myccr :thumbup:

PostPosted: May 19th, 2023, 11:27 pm 

Paul is a great guy, lots of fun!

If you have the time you can stay over (camp) at the trailer park and he can take you down to the Pekans the next morning. There is a decent grocery Store (IGA?), a Canadian Tire, Dollar Store and a Walmart in Lab City if you forget something.

Won't be ready for this year or probably a few years but there is almost $500 Million already committed to the upgrade of Route 389, when I was there last year there was a lot of work being done on the section just past Manic 5, nothing happening yet on the horrible section between Fire Lake and Fermont but that is going to be straightened and paved in the next couple of years. They are also straightening out the road around Manic 3/4.