It is currently March 18th, 2024, 10:39 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: May 22nd, 2022, 7:14 pm 

Hello,
I live in Burlington and would like some info/advice on a paddling trip for when I get done with the school year.
I have about a total of six days I can devote to a trip in mid-late June. I'm after quiet, wilderness, maybe a little variety in terms of lake and river paddling. My recent paddling experience has been in the Adirondacks.
I'd really like to paddle La Verendrye, but am not sure I'll get there for this trip because of travel time and a couple other reasons. Questions, questions...

-Does the mileage and recommended days for various LV circuits tend to line up with what an intermediate paddler like myself is up for?
-In terms of the various circuits, are there longer, more comprehensive summaries out there? The info on the Sepaq website is very limited.
-Since they're similar drive times from Burlington, how does LV compare to Algonquin? From what I read, Algonquin draws more paddlers.
-Will the blackflies be a deal breaker in LV in mid-late June? I know everyone has a different tolerance for biting bugs. I have some tolerance and was mostly fine in the Daks.
-How about other spots like Mauricie National Park and Papineau-Labelle? Did I read correctly that they are areas that support shorter trips?
-Trip suggestions? What are some 3-5 night circuits that fit my criteria in either LV or another paddling area within 7 hours of Burlington?
-Would LV permits be hard to get for June? For August?
-Are there chances to hear wolves in these areas?

Thanks for reading this,
Brian

PostPosted: May 23rd, 2022, 7:39 am 

Burlington ON or Burlington VT?

Blackfly season is typically Mothers Day to Fathers Day.

Algonquin in August is crazy. It may be possible to reserve a route particularly as the Kiosk entry end is closer to you if you are in VT.

Some of us way prefer La V for its relative lack of crowds .

I liked this part https://www.sepaq.com/rf/lvy/canot-camp ... guage_id=1
I did it as part of a longer trip.

Since Sepaq took over the canoe camping sites I have no idea if reservations are required. I have found staff at Le Domaine very helpful and they do speak English.

PostPosted: May 23rd, 2022, 3:59 pm 

There are huge areas of crown land in Ont with far fewer paddlers than Algon. Prob no wolves though. We saw more people on one port in Algon than in a week on Crown land

Old canoeists never die---they just smell that way.

PostPosted: May 23rd, 2022, 4:14 pm 

Just remember if you are in US Burlington you have to purchase a Crown Land Camping Permit if camping north of the French and Mattawa Rivers ( not south of them).. The process used to be horrible making you run from one Service Ontario center to another which actually had tne permits. And staff did not all know what the permits were.Now its possible to buy on line

https://www.ontario.ca/page/recreationa ... #section-1

interactive map'
https://campingzest.com/crown-land-camping-in-ontario/

PostPosted: May 23rd, 2022, 9:32 pm 

The Sepaq site "streamlined" away all the useful circuit info. I have a link to a French-language pdf of detailed circuit info, but that seems to be dead now too! If you're interested in the file, send me a DM and I can pass it along. I'd give them a call as I'm not sure what the booking policy is this year now that Sepaq has taken over. Last year, you called them three days prior to book your circuit--not earlier. They have many circuits and don't over book them, so you should be OK getting permits any time of their annoyingly short paddling season.

Papineau-Labelle does not do any advance booking, from what I understand, which is great if you're OK with spontaneity. I've been meaning to get there--I hear it's a lovely park and would be well suited for what you want to do. Here's their paddling map: https://www.sepaq.com/resources/docs/rf ... amping.pdf

La Mauricie is a pretty park, but was near impossible to book last year due to high interest. Haven't checked this year. This park would be the busiest of these three. I'd focus on the other two.

PostPosted: May 24th, 2022, 11:41 am 

Link to LV circuit info document is working again. Document is from 2002, but it'll give you a clearer picture of the LV circuits.
http://www.cartespleinair.org/Canot/04/ ... ye2002.pdf

PostPosted: May 29th, 2022, 3:11 pm 

Thanks everyone for the advice, links, suggestions, etc. Sorry to be a presumptuous American. I live in Burlington, VT.
If I find a paddling partner I’ll head up to La V in late June. If not I’ll probably go solo in the Daks and try to get to La V in Nly or August.
Brian

PostPosted: May 30th, 2022, 8:18 am 

hermit thrush wrote:
Thanks everyone for the advice, links, suggestions, etc. Sorry to be a presumptuous American. I live in Burlington, VT.
If I find a paddling partner I’ll head up to La V in late June. If not I’ll probably go solo in the Daks and try to get to La V in Nly or August.
Brian

La V is a great place to solo. If you are on Facebook North American Canoe Trader is a program that skims adds from Marketplace and Craigslist.. There are a lot of cheaper used solos on it.. Of course you have to jump fast.

PostPosted: May 31st, 2022, 2:40 pm 

(all my experience is based on tandem here aimed at whitewater, usually a couple canoes so solo may be different) Papineau-Labelle is first come where we went. La Sourd in P-L has some nice rapids but the ideal water level is early in the season. I haven't tried later but hear it gets too low. It only takes a few hours to run it (if you skip the last section) and if you're quick you can do it 2x in a day.

Good whitewater mix on the Noire, Coulonge and Dumoine rivers on the Québec side but starting near Rapides-des-Joachims. Camping is first come and you can do anywhere from 2-3 days up to 11 depending where you start.

We run a section of the Petite-Nation as a daytrip but it looks like you could do a couple days on it from some of the guides I saw.

This site is a good resource for all of the above if you can read french http://www.cartespleinair.org/Canot/cartes.html
I have a few trip reports from the above written up and some videos if you have any questions!