It is currently March 19th, 2024, 5:48 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Mistassibi NE put-in?
PostPosted: December 13th, 2022, 1:28 pm 

Hi Everyone,
I’ve read through all of the previously posted Mistassibi NE put-ins (I think) and I’m wondering if anything has changed over the past couple of years. I know logging roads can show up quick. We’d prefer to run from the top, looks like a ton of fun all the way to 158km and wouldn’t want to miss it, but are also wary of the portages from hell to get there. We’re not 20 or 30 or closer to 40 anymore and our list of can’t leave behind gear seems to have expanded somehow. Similar question, due to the fires a decade ago, is hammock camping off the table or can something generally be found?

Thinking early july, 2023. Any thoughts?

Mike

PostPosted: December 13th, 2022, 5:05 pm 

On Google Earth you can follow the road that crosses Lac Froget and then the river itself. We put in at the lake, paddled North and pond hopped into the upper river. I recall the portaging between ponds to the river was relatively short and easy. Not much is missed starting this route vs starting right from the top. I have no idea if additional roads have been added since he google imagery but I wouldn't hesitate going back starting from the same spot. Mid June to early July is probably good timing. The river was in full force in May when I went.

PostPosted: December 15th, 2022, 11:15 pm 

There is an alternate way to get to the top lake (Machisque, if I recall right?) that seemed to me to look like less work than the six pond hops, and at any rate it adds a day of whitewater at the top. Agree with Doug, the pond hops aren't terrible, but the creek drag at the end of them isn't a lot of fun. Maybe someone has cleared it out?

Check out this thread and the map points that GeneU posted to the alternate way in: https://www.myccr.com/phpbbforum/viewto ... mistassibi

Might also call Gilles at Aventuraid and ask if he knows.

Let us know what you find if you get there.

PostPosted: December 22nd, 2022, 5:04 pm 

Spoke with adventureaid. Sounds like put-in at km 158 is still the primary option.