It is currently March 19th, 2024, 12:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: February 6th, 2023, 1:39 pm 

We are considering a trip down the Bonaventure river this spring but have been told by CIME Adventures that they no longer offer a shuttle service to the top of the river due to floods in 2020 that changed the nature of the river. Anyone else in that area that might offer a shuttle service?

PostPosted: February 6th, 2023, 5:44 pm 

We had a guide that did our shuttles but have lost contact info. Cime knows who he is but will not give any info. Not worth doing if putting in at mid point( below canyon)

He and his wife had a 4wd truck( needed for the last couple miles to Bonaventure Lake) that was rigged for 5 canoes on racks plus another SUV for gear and people.

If you find a shuttle provider please post and we will do the same.

I wonder what got worse at the top. Possibility of strainers/sweepers was always high for the upper portion early in the season, maybe the log piles in upper section blew out.

Darrell

PostPosted: February 6th, 2023, 11:11 pm 

There is a trip report in a recent Nastwagan that contains this info......

Quote:
In early 2022, after countless cold calls and internet searches, Rob connected with a ZEC Bonaventure staffer (ZEC: Zone d’Exploitation Contrôlée, i.e. Quebec conservation authority) who not only confirmed that the upper section of the river was still navigable (others had accomplished the descent the previous year) but also found a local person who was willing to provide a shuttle through the network of logging roads, pairing our group with a second client that had been asking the same questions. Rob also connected with Yann Barriault of Eskamer Aventure (https://eskamer.ca), an “adventure” company based in Saintte-Anne-des-Monts, about 2 hours away on the north shoreline of the Gaspé peninsula between the Chic Chocs (Parc National de la Gaspésie) and Forillon National Park (“Land’s End”). Eskamer did their insurance homework and committed to providing the shuttle service. As word gets out, I’m sure they’ll be getting more calls to fill the void left by the departure of CIME for services to the upper section of the Bonaventure River – a river well known by professional guides in Ontario, Quebec, Maine and the eastern seaboard.

PostPosted: June 14th, 2023, 8:56 pm 

Hi, we have a group of 16 paddling the river the first week of July. I tried Cime, and ZEC and Eskamer.... no luck with anyone. We are renting a car from the Bonaventure Airport. Sending 2 guys to retrieve our bus and bring it to us oceanside in Bonaventure. Super cheap shuttle - under $100. I heard the others were charging over $700.
If you are on the same week we can shuttle you up there as well, lots of room in the rental car. Likely shuttling on July 7 or 8th. Email me at bradfordellis@gmail.com if you'd like.

PostPosted: June 14th, 2023, 9:37 pm 

Better make sure there is enough water in July, even in a normal year any time after early June is risky, the 2023 season is likely to be record low water levels in many areas unless there is a LOT of rain in the coming weeks.

Be aware most of the campsites are pretty small.

PostPosted: June 14th, 2023, 11:02 pm 

I recently saw an eblast that Dave Conley with Canoe The Wild (Maine-based) had been up there this spring. He might be able to provide some intel. canoethewild.com
Agree with Recped, though. Highly doubt you will float a canoe down the Bonaventure in July.

PostPosted: June 16th, 2023, 3:51 pm 

Besides the low water issues. A group of 16? Wow that's a lot of paddlers for the upper river. Taking a bus to Bonaventure lake? I didn't think the roads could handle a bus anymore. One of the reasons CIME stopped doing it. Or maybe it's just their bus that couldn't do it anymore. Also $100 for a shuttle doesn't seem right. Are you sure that is from the top?