It is currently September 21st, 2020, 8:10 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Chochocuane River report
PostPosted: September 10th, 2001, 4:18 pm 

Just got back from an excellent trip down the Chochocuane River (Russeau Camitakit-Reservoir Dosois) in La Verendrye.

General observations:

The river is quite remote-you can get a real wilderness experience. Nice scenery with some scenic chutes. Good fishing- we were able to catch a couple of 7-8pound pikes while trolling from a kayak. Beautiful northern forest on the banks with blueberies and mushrooms (if you like to pick wild ones-it's a real heaven). Water is clean, campsites are decent, some of them quite nice. The route is maintained: you have signs for portages and campsites.
Overall impression - an excellent trip.

Here is a couple of additional notices:

1. The river holds water well and can be paddled at any time. We didn't have any problems there. Some rapids become more difficult at low conditions, some - at high levels. Together it averages itself out.

2. From existing 12 portages we did only two short ones (175m. and 55m.) plus one lining and two liftovers, that's it! We were able to run all the rest. You need to consider that we paddled closed kayaks with skirts- open canoes could get some water in a couple of good CIII we run, so, be prepared to get wet.

3. We did the 5-days route in four days at a leasure pace (about 5 to 6 hours of paddlintg daily). I think, it's partially due to the fact that we didn't portage a lot and due to faster speed of a kayak in comparison to canoe.

4. We were surprized that the river is quite big. The width is about 30m. aroud Russeau Camitakit and up to ~50m. downstream. Also, it's quite deep everywhere except rapids. (I expected it to be smaller.)

I am planning to finish a detailed trip-log which I will send to Richard in the nearest future. So, check out the routes section later if interested.

Thanks to everyone who responded on my questions and helped with preparation.
Special thanks - to Kevin Callan.

Regards, Alex
chernovalex@hotmail.com