It is currently September 21st, 2020, 9:11 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 15th, 2001, 6:47 pm 
I am thinking of doing the Moisie next summer/fall and would like to get basic info from someone who has run it.

Water levels, especially in late summer or early fall?

A short trip report suggests the travel time from Lac de Mille to Sept Iles is 3 weeks. Does this sound reasonable for is this for slow travel?

Quality of Rapids? How many are runnable by an expereienced paddler running class III.

Had trouble registering. I am Robert Pavlis, at pavlis@home.com.

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 8th, 2001, 11:58 pm 
We were there in august this year. have spent 20 days on the river. In this time we had 4 days of rest.
Can send you info if you mail me self addressed envelope and $20.00
my snail mail address is:
Jan Janosik
107 Central Drive
ANCASTER, ON L9G 2A1

E-mail:
jjanosik@yahoo.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 9th, 2001, 9:16 am 

Quote:
On 2001-11-08 23:58, Anonymous wrote:

Can send you info if you mail me self addressed envelope and $20.00

Tell us you're joking.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 18th, 2002, 12:32 pm 
Robert, I agree. This guy must be a joker.
Jim Brownlee

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 18th, 2002, 9:17 pm 

Could just be a Mike Haris supporter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 19th, 2002, 12:19 am 

As someone who had to spend his formative years in the yuppie hell that is Ancaster Ont., where you don't wear your colours, as opposed to having your colours done.......no, he's not joking.

BTW, there's a whack of great fishing spots around there, belive it or not. Best I did was a 7lb. 8oz. bucketmouth on a flyrod, stocked the pond as an ongoing experiment, and ended up being my OAC ISU.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 14th, 2002, 4:52 pm 

I ran the Moise in 96. Unless you have skills equivalent to a guides, I suggest using an outfitter. I can recommend either Tuckamore or Sunrise. They have web sites.

It is an extraordinary river. But, the portages are long and difficult. Many rapids are dangerous. I wouldn't recommend doing this solo. At least 3 canoes.

It is the best river I have been on and I encourage you to do it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 1st, 2002, 12:12 am 
Book dealing with the Moise " Complete wilderness Paddler" I do have all the Topos costing me over $120. There is an actual canoe route map something like 20 pages.

Wouldn't suggest you try this river without a group of at least 10 - 12 people. Who can work as a team and have a variety of specicalties. Also secure a copy of Avaitations flight paths. Just in case you do have problems and should you be above the "flight route some 12-25,000 above you could use a cell Phone... Check which schuedule air lines use those routes. Great salmon river a few UN_Marked Heli-ports on the river for SPECIAL GUIDED TOURS....Private landing Only. Many Indian / native fishing areas... don't fish without permission... some of the Indians will give you fish in exchange for things....

Portages are brutal...

There are at least 4 /5 groups do this river every year... som start north of Lab City. You might one to travel in advance of one just in case you have problems and need to be rescued or found...

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 1st, 2002, 12:20 am 
Book dealing with the Moise " Complete wilderness Paddler" I do have all the Topos costing me over $120. There is an actual canoe route map something like 20 pages, which was all in french done 1989 ish.

Wouldn't suggest you try this river without a group of at least 10 - 12 people. Who can work as a team and have a variety of specialties. Also secure a copy of Avaitations flight paths. Just in case you do have problems and should you be above the "flight route" some 12-25,000 above you could use a cell Phone... Check which schedule air lines use those routes. Great salmon river a few UN_Marked Heli-ports on the river for SPECIAL GUIDED TOURS....Private landing Only. Many Indian / native fishing areas... don't fish without permission... some of the Indians will give you fish in exchange for things....

Portages are brutal..some great water falls..

There are at least 4 /5 groups do this river every year... some start north of Lab City. You might one to travel in advance of one just in case you have problems and need to be rescued or found...
Ray
citywatcher@angelfire.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 8th, 2002, 8:57 pm 

I ran the Moisie about 15 years ago, but I remember it like yesterday...it was that good.

Since I only did it once, it's difficult to gage water level. We did it late July thru early Aug., there was plenty of water.

It took us 14 days on the water for the entire 250 miles. Some days went slow, on one day we went over 30 mi. without much problem.

We ran over 100 sets of rapids, I would have to look at my notes to see how many portages. there were 3 of us in our group, 2 tandem + 1 solo. If you are careful about scouting and read whitewater well, you'll be fine.

Got to go now, I'll look up some info and write back.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 17th, 2002, 2:56 pm 
I just read this book a week ago, Complete wilderness Paddler, as referenced above. It's an excellent read. Well worth getting.