It is currently October 26th, 2020, 5:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 10th, 2002, 9:58 pm 
I'm trying to find the road into the bridge at kilometer 180 on Hap Wilson's map 3 of the Coulonge. A 1996 Canadian Tire road atlas shows a road crossing the river south-west of Lac Chavannes. It's about half way between Lac Brule and Lac Bruce. This road is not on Hap's Coulonge/Noire overview map but it looks like it turns south off the road that is on the his map (road #20), just before Lac Brule. This road then crosses over the tip of Lac Chavannes, and crosses the Coulonge near the confluence with the outflow from Lac Chavannes.

Does anyone know if this is the road that crosses the bridge Hap's map 3 of the Coulonge?

Thanks for any help.

Steve Bridges
sbridge@bcn.net

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 10th, 2002, 11:18 pm 

I did some eploration along the Lac a Jim road last summer. That's the road that goes along the west bank of the Coulonge at about the 135-150km mark. I'm not sure about calibration with Hap's map, as I was using the Federation Canot Camping Quebecois trip notes. If you try to come in that high on the river, you will need to come in from the north. There's a bridge that has been washed out at the 135km mark on the road. For reference, that's about 15km miles south of Cascade des Batardeaux, 46deg44.5mins N by 77deg 15 minW on the top map, close to where the Coulonge passes off the top of map 31K/14, as best as I can tell. I can't remember what the river mileage was on teh FCCQ maps was (I can't find it right now), but I think it would be somewhere around 150-ish.

There is a ford across the river at the bottom of the bridge, so it might be possible to get past it if you had a more wilderness-worthy vehicle than I have. But it's very sandy, and it's a place that you would really not like to get stuck. ATVs have been through, but I voted not to try it in a car. Search for the message "Where Roads Go when they Die" in the Quebec forum for a complete description of the adventure.

The bridge across the Coulonge on the top maps at N46deg42.5'E77deg11' has also been washed out. The road on the other side of this bridge coming in from the east appears to be well used and maintained, and would make a good put in point if you wanted to line up for a day or two and come down (which is what I did). But I don't know where it comes out.

Let me know what you find out. I'd be particularly interested in finding put ins on that part of the river that would make a decent short trip.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 11th, 2002, 11:07 pm 

k. I checked haps notes. The washed out bridge over the coulounge that I mentioned in the previous post is, in fact, on map 4 of Hap's trip notes (and is correctly marked as a washed out bridge).

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 14th, 2002, 8:27 pm 
Concerning road into River from the north-east... Road 20 will get you to the river just above Lac Brule. There are several places where culverts are washed away and four wheel drive and good clearance are needed. If you go early in the season (Ben and I just got back from an early May trip) be prepared for mud on the road and big water on the river! We got stuck on the road only once but we did go into Ottawa after the trip to rent a 4WD vehicle for the drive back up to the put-in. The river was awesome. The weather could have been better. Class I rapids on Hap's maps were often big volume class IIs, sometimes even moderate class IIIs. I'm talking big waves: three to four feet from trough to peak was common. And forget about paddling right up to the edge of a the big falls before eddying out. Big class IV water led into all the huge drops. Lining around was commplicated by the water in the trees.

Anyway, you can get there by road, but you need the right vehicle.