It is currently September 30th, 2020, 8:43 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 4th, 2002, 5:41 pm 

Hey Ya'll,
I did the Dumoine last July and it was great! I'm wondering how the Noire compares to the Dumoine, as in water levels, difficulty, etc? Looking to to it at about the same time....early July or maybe late June.

Thanx,
Steve

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 4th, 2002, 11:57 pm 

I haven't done the Noire, although I did happen to drive by the Noire last August during the dry spell. The Noire water levels were extremely low, at a time that the Dumoine was still in passable shape according to reports on CCR.

All I saw was a long flat stretch of the river, but the river only filled about 1/3 of its riverbed. I'm guessing that the whitewater stretches on the river were not navigable.

I was actually on the Coulonge that weekend. The water levels on the coulonge were relatively low, but the river was in excellent shape, navigable and runnable. Given how dry last summer was, I think it's safe to say that the Coulonge is runnable in pretty much any condition.

My understanding is that the Dumoine remains runnable even in extreme drought conditions. The Dumoine has a reputation for being runnable even when all other rivers aren't.

My guess: Dumoine is the best for water levels; the Coulonge is next best; the Noire ranks third. This casual observation agrees with with rankings of the size of the drainage basins for each river (if that really means anything). It's hard to say what effect dams at the headwaters of each river have on water levels. Both the Noire and Coulonge are dammed as they leave Laverendrye; I'm not sure about the Dumoine, but I would guess the Dumoine is too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 11th, 2002, 2:31 pm 
i did the noire last summer in mid to late may. The group i was with did the dumoine the year before and said the noire river is definintely less difficult, however the noire does have a few locations with some good white water. They rated the noire as the last of the noire,colonge and dumoine rivers in terms of good white water. Water levels when we went were down, but we never had to portage due to lack of water. hope it helps.