It is currently January 20th, 2022, 5:22 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Nibiischii loop
PostPosted: December 4th, 2021, 10:46 pm 

Inspired by the Nibiischii series by sbaillie, we tried out a loop comprised of the Marten, Rupert, and Natastan rivers this past July. What a place! Thank you Nibiischii Corporation for permission to visit Cree territory. Trip report, maps, photos, and video, can be found in the Routes database.

Post subject: Re: Nibiischii loop
PostPosted: December 5th, 2021, 11:16 am 

Awesome trip and great report. Covid caused me to cancel a trip through this area. We were planning a one way trip on the De Maures, Natastan and Martin. Seeing your route and report is inspiring.

A question about your route. After you portaged out of Lac Cocomenhani and into the Nastan, how did you choose your route to crossover into the Rupert? Is it something you came up with or were you given advice from Nibiischii?

Do you have a Caltopo Link for your route? Also,the last day is missing from the PDF.

PostPosted: December 5th, 2021, 1:23 pm 

Hi Martin, thanks for the feedback!

I've added the map for the last day, thanks for catching that. The Caltopo link to our route is here: https://caltopo.com/m/Q12T.

The meandering hop-and-skip from the Natastan into the Rupert was based on Google Earth imagery. The inspiration for this route was to get close to the Ile du Nord Ouest and get a look at the hills, which rise 500' from the water. It did not disappoint, and was a highlight of the trip. The portages through here are short but vigourous. There are faint signs that they had been used before (old axe blazes, bent saplings), but they had 100% returned to Nature.

The satellite imagery was accurate and we had no problems navigating in this area. However, there are some major differences between satellite imagery and topographic maps for Lac Mesgouez due to downstream hydro development on the Rupert. The water is higher now in Lac Mesgouez, which will change the nature of the rapids, so care will be needed in approaching these.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: December 5th, 2021, 2:35 pm 

Very nice trip report and video. I was in the area in early September, I followed the same road you took to get to Lac Courseron. I went to the end and put in on Lac Robineau. I paddled up to the stream that leads to Lac Canotaicane. I wanted to paddle to the end of Canoetaicane but I encountered heavy winds and rain for most of the trip. I turned around about 40 miles from my put in.
I agree it's a beautiful wild place.

PostPosted: December 7th, 2021, 9:33 pm 

Hi Robin,

I think I saw your nice trip video on Youtube. You had much more challenging weather than we did! How was the drive off Route du Nord to access Lac Robineau? This looks like another nice area to paddle.

PostPosted: December 9th, 2021, 8:12 am 

swampwalker wrote:
Hi Robin,

I think I saw your nice trip video on Youtube. You had much more challenging weather than we did! How was the drive off Route du Nord to access Lac Robineau? This looks like another nice area to paddle.

Thanks, the road into Lac Robineau was good, freshly graded and widened.

My days of portaging are mostly behind me so this route worked out well, two short portages and the longer one I lined both ways.
I really enjoyed those open forest areas, something I had never seen before. I'm ok with beach camping but when the weather turns you can be stuck out in the open. I didn't see any opportunities for sheltered campsites with the bush growing right down to the shoreline.
All in all, a great destination.

PostPosted: December 30th, 2021, 7:20 pm 

Great trip report swampwalker and also good to see you Robin. This looks like an interesting area. Under consideration if the border stays open.

PostPosted: December 30th, 2021, 7:20 pm 

Great trip report swampwalker and also good to see you Robin. This looks like an interesting area. Under consideration if the border stays open.